• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ringtone 'Call From xxx"

My old phone had the ringtone that was the basic 'Call From XXX' Is it possible to get this on my galaxy S III and if so how do I do it?

Hello and welcome to AF!!
Do you mean that when you get a call from your friend, (say his name is Fred), the device's ringtone will be a voice that says, "Call from Fred." ?

Is your device rooted? If so, are you on Verizon? The reason I ask this, is you posted in the Verizon S3 root forum.
If not, no worries as we can move this thread elsewhere for more help and to get more eyes on it :D

Upvote 0
that is exactly what I mean. It seems like people on other phones don't want it, but I like to know who I am ignoring without looking at my phone.

I am with Verizon. I do not know what rooted means...so my guess is no?

Hmmm, I seem to vaguely remember reading about this. Problem is, I don't remember where I saw it:p

Meanwhile, let me move this thread into the general forum for our devices and I'll search around a bit :)

Upvote 0
You could always turn ON the Driving Mode, just keep the caller ID selected, with nothing else.

A bit deep, down there in Settings - Language and Input - Text-to-Speech Output - Driving Mode. Select that and just check the first box at the top.

Then you can add this as toggle button to your notification, by going to Display - Notification Panel.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
By the way, this is the one feature I always turn off, because I live in Malaysia, where we have 3 main ethnic groups. Chinese, Malay and Indians. And being an ex-pat here, I have lots of ex-pat friends, so the phone will always butcher the strange, local or foreign (Dutch, French or German) names beyond recognition. Making them all sound like Korean Noodles... no kidding.

I do however, have about 10 contacts I use name pronunciation for. These are the contacts I will always pick up calls from. Like my wife, when the phone says "the Home Ministry is calling", my son...etc...

I understand this could be an overkill for you, but I will explain how I do it anyway, just for your future reference, with the use of SIRI voice :)

First you will need access to Mac, any Mac will do.

1. Download The Siri Voice
In the System Preferences - Voice, there is an option call SPEECH. Once selected, you will be given two tabs, one of which is Text-To-Speech.
Select "Samantha" from drop down menu (the tech name for Siri like voice) and download it. It's abut 350MB package.

2. To get her to speak what you want, open the Terminal / Command Line which is in Applications - Utilities - Terminal.

3. Then type the text, and output to file using command line:

say -o "filename" "Home Ministry is calling"

NOTE!
This command save the file as .aiff, and by default, it’s going to save in the root of your users’ home directory. To save to the desktop, just add cd Desktop in the command line.

4. I open the aiff in my Adobe Audition, and save it to MP3. Sometimes I add the little BIG BONG RING (like the airport announcement style) before or after the speech.

(optional step).
5. I open the file in iTune and use the file INFO (from right click menu) to name it with underscore, like _homeministry or _son or _boss .....

This will keep them nicely organized on the phone, listed together and easy to find.

6. Then I upload them to my phone, and assign them as custom ringtone to my contacts.

Done and Done. Of course, if you have hundreds of contacts, then I'm sorry :)

Sample -->

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones