Ringtones can be embarrassing at work

Last Updated:

1. duga

duga Active Member This Topic's Starter

Today I was in an important meeting when I received a text and David Lee Roth screemed "OOOWWUUUUUU":eek:. I apoligized and told the guys at the meeting that my teenage son must have changed the notification tone.

Truth is, it was me.

That got me wondering if there is a way to have 2 sets of ringtones? What I mean is one set of rintones/notifications for work and one for play.

I tried to do it with "scenes", figuring that would be perfect, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Vald

Vald Well-Known Member

i heard of an app called locale but not sure how well it works, might look into that

3. smikwily

smikwily Member

Locale used to be great, but is now overpriced and falling apart. I recommend Timeriffic instead - Timeriffic

4. Vald

Vald Well-Known Member

just had this happen to me. was just walking into work for the night, then i get an email which set off my girl moaning ringtone. ya, lots of strange looks from my co-workers

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

Shouldn't your phone be on vibrate while you're in an important meeting?

6. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Exactly. I even turn off vibrate because it is loud when I set it on the table. Just set the phone on the table so you can see the LED flash. I use timeriffic because locale stopped working on me.

7. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Important business people shouldn't have ridiculous ring tones in the first place :D

8. Sorce

Sorce Member

I use the app sound manager to set time blocks where my volumes change so that when I'm at work my ringers go to vibrate. There is also an app on the market called vibrate during meetings which I have not used but would also be handy if you had your meetings scheduled on the phone.

9. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

download "Sound Manager" by Daniel Roozen.

i startd using it this week at work because i have specific ringtones for different contacts, and some are a little inappropriate fr the office. i tried locale but i felt it was draining my battery.

in sound manager you can set the level of your ringtones, and notifications to adjust at certain times of the day and on which days you choose....pretty f'n sweet if u ask me

10. schnelle34

schnelle34 Member

I use an app called Do Not Disturb. It lets you schedule when the vibrate turns on and off.

11. jeffreynothing43

jeffreynothing43 Well-Known Member

why not just hold down the power button and put the phone on silent before entering a meeting? it's that easy! :) no apps necessary...

12. rmasonjr

rmasonjr Member

We set a co-workers phone to Ozzy's Crazy Train at the loudest setting. During a meeting, we called him. "All Aboooooaaaaardddddd!!! HA HA HA HA HA"

epic.

13. Maipuwebo

Maipuwebo Member

Good business etiquette requires you don't have your phone on in business meetings. I have been to many places that would reprimand an employee for not showing his coworkers the respect they deserve.

14. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Exactly. It is unprofessional. Since I use my phone a lot for business relations and not just personal use, I have to make sure I act professional.

That means no Guns N' Roses ring tones, no Black Eyed Peas ring tones, and no C-Rap songs.

If I were in a business environment, either as a buyer or a seller, I wouldn't be too happy if Rhianna or Ludachris started blasting from someones cell.

15. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I am of the opinion that if you would be embarrassed with your ring tone in any situation, you picked the wrong ring tone.

I use the big band, "In the Mood" for people I know, and the opening riffs of Santana's "Smooth" for people I don't. I think a ring tone with words is always going to be less than optimal. Other than maybe one... (and this will show my age), "One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingies..." ;)

tdieckman likes this.
  16. dominicanyor

dominicanyor Well-Known Member

so this TIMERIFFIC is just like locale?????

17. dominicanyor

I agree that will not be cool at all.

18. dominicanyor

Its not free.

19. pwrdvtec1990

pwrdvtec1990 Member

Guys, he wasn't asking what was professional or nonprofessional. I think by him asking for a program to change this automatically for him shows he knows that he needs to seperate his business life and personal life.

With this said the only GPS based profile change that I've seen was Locale and it wasn't that good. I had an instance where I needed it due to background pics but it didn't work like I wanted it to.

20. Little Darwin

Staying on topic is so hard!!!!

In my opinion pointing out how to live life happily within a technical limitation is almost as good as overcoming that limitation.

21. duga

duga Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the opinions! Even the ones who lectured me.

Sometimes I forget to change to vibrate. But if that happens again, I just don't want something silly. The other problem I have is forgetting to turn the ringer back on after the meeting.

Timeriffic apparently just schedules vibrate/ringer times. Perfect for when I go to sleep. Not gonna work during my work day though.

Maybe "vibrate during meetings" would be best for me if it will sink with the Google calendar.

22. Little Darwin

First, I hope you diidn't consider my post lecturing, it is hard to make statements seem light in print, but that is the way at least mine was intended. The opinions were my opinions, but just that... I am glad we don't all follow the same rules. ;)

Secondly. I have missed several calls from not turning my ringer back on, so I feel your pain. I find I am more cautious now that I have been scolded for not answering the phone, and people thinking I am ignoring them. But, it is still a risk.

It is amazing how different places are different, and some "leaders" care while others don't. I had a teacher in a college Calculus course several years ago answer her cell during class... in the middle of her lecture. And then complained because her husband should have known not to call during that time. I sisn't respond, but I did think that she should have known better than to answer her phone during that time. I never shut my cell phone ringer off for that class again. ;) It never rang during class though...

23. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

Try my ringtone its the start of Jackson taylors whiskey and women live. Out of the blue it says

I just got one thing to say to you mother f@ckers I'm here to take you whiskey and your women,burn this mother down sacrifice a virgin,hell I'm here to kick some ass take your bottle fill my glass ,fill it up and Make the party last.

24. Maipuwebo

Maipuwebo Member

He was asking for a solution to a problem. The problem wasn't that the ringtone was David Lee Roth, it's that there was a major violation of etiquette. Instead of looking for a complex solution to a simple problem, look for the simple solution. Leave the phone behind when in meetings and you no longer have to worry about whether you remembered to silenced your phone for this meeting.

Think about it, the accepted solution is going as such:
    1. Set up calendar in phone, google, exchange or whatever provider you are using
    2. Set up sync with calendar on phone
    3. Download app that looks at Sync'd calendar to learn when meetings are so your ringer will silence during that time

Now what happens if your meeting goes long? Gotta go change the calendar and sync the phone so it turns the ringer off.

What about if there is an impromptu meeting? Tell your boss you will be there in a minute after you add a new event to your calendar and sync it with your phone so it will be silent during the meeting. Btw, boss, exactly how long will the meeting be so I can make sure my personal cell phone doesn't ring?

Or just leave it behind for all meetings and then you never have to worry about it. Are you going to tell everyone to hold on and answer it if you see it flash instead of hearing it ring? If not, there is no need to have it anyway.

Yes, this is a lecture. It's the same thing you got every time you went to class to learn something. Is it all of the sudden a problem because people are trying to teach something outside of the classroom? Nobody is saying he's a douche for wanting to have fun with ringers. We are just educating him that there may be a bigger problem in place that could cost him his employment. And yes, I've seen people fired for having cell phones on at inappropriate times and in inappropriate places.

25. smikwily

smikwily Member

It doesn't have the GPS functionality, which never worked for LOCALE for me, but the time/day settings are very, very similar.