• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringtones can be embarrassing at work

Today I was in an important meeting when I received a text and David Lee Roth screemed "OOOWWUUUUUU":eek:. I apoligized and told the guys at the meeting that my teenage son must have changed the notification tone.

Truth is, it was me.

That got me wondering if there is a way to have 2 sets of ringtones? What I mean is one set of rintones/notifications for work and one for play.

I tried to do it with "scenes", figuring that would be perfect, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

download "Sound Manager" by Daniel Roozen.

i startd using it this week at work because i have specific ringtones for different contacts, and some are a little inappropriate fr the office. i tried locale but i felt it was draining my battery.

in sound manager you can set the level of your ringtones, and notifications to adjust at certain times of the day and on which days you choose....pretty f'n sweet if u ask me

Upvote 0
Good business etiquette requires you don't have your phone on in business meetings. I have been to many places that would reprimand an employee for not showing his coworkers the respect they deserve.

Exactly. It is unprofessional. Since I use my phone a lot for business relations and not just personal use, I have to make sure I act professional.

That means no Guns N' Roses ring tones, no Black Eyed Peas ring tones, and no C-Rap songs.

If I were in a business environment, either as a buyer or a seller, I wouldn't be too happy if Rhianna or Ludachris started blasting from someones cell.

Upvote 0
I am of the opinion that if you would be embarrassed with your ring tone in any situation, you picked the wrong ring tone.

I use the big band, "In the Mood" for people I know, and the opening riffs of Santana's "Smooth" for people I don't. I think a ring tone with words is always going to be less than optimal. Other than maybe one... (and this will show my age), "One ringy dingy... Two ringy dingies..." ;)

Reactions: tdieckman
Upvote 0
Exactly. It is unprofessional. Since I use my phone a lot for business relations and not just personal use, I have to make sure I act professional.

That means no Guns N' Roses ring tones, no Black Eyed Peas ring tones, and no C-Rap songs.

If I were in a business environment, either as a buyer or a seller, I wouldn't be too happy if Rhianna or Ludachris started blasting from someones cell.

I agree that will not be cool at all.

Upvote 0
Guys, he wasn't asking what was professional or nonprofessional. I think by him asking for a program to change this automatically for him shows he knows that he needs to seperate his business life and personal life.

With this said the only GPS based profile change that I've seen was Locale and it wasn't that good. I had an instance where I needed it due to background pics but it didn't work like I wanted it to.

Upvote 0
Guys, he wasn't asking what was professional or nonprofessional. I think by him asking for a program to change this automatically for him shows he knows that he needs to seperate his business life and personal life.

Staying on topic is so hard!!!!

In my opinion pointing out how to live life happily within a technical limitation is almost as good as overcoming that limitation.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the opinions! Even the ones who lectured me.

Sometimes I forget to change to vibrate. But if that happens again, I just don't want something silly. The other problem I have is forgetting to turn the ringer back on after the meeting.

Timeriffic apparently just schedules vibrate/ringer times. Perfect for when I go to sleep. Not gonna work during my work day though.

Maybe "vibrate during meetings" would be best for me if it will sink with the Google calendar.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the opinions! Even the ones who lectured me.

<SNIP>

The other problem I have is forgetting to turn the ringer back on after the meeting.

First, I hope you diidn't consider my post lecturing, it is hard to make statements seem light in print, but that is the way at least mine was intended. The opinions were my opinions, but just that... I am glad we don't all follow the same rules. ;)

Secondly. I have missed several calls from not turning my ringer back on, so I feel your pain. I find I am more cautious now that I have been scolded for not answering the phone, and people thinking I am ignoring them. But, it is still a risk.

It is amazing how different places are different, and some "leaders" care while others don't. I had a teacher in a college Calculus course several years ago answer her cell during class... in the middle of her lecture. And then complained because her husband should have known not to call during that time. I sisn't respond, but I did think that she should have known better than to answer her phone during that time. I never shut my cell phone ringer off for that class again. ;) It never rang during class though...

Upvote 0
Try my ringtone its the start of Jackson taylors whiskey and women live. Out of the blue it says

I just got one thing to say to you mother f@ckers I'm here to take you whiskey and your women,burn this mother down sacrifice a virgin,hell I'm here to kick some ass take your bottle fill my glass ,fill it up and Make the party last.

Upvote 0

With this said the only GPS based profile change that I've seen was Locale and it wasn't that good. I had an instance where I needed it due to background pics but it didn't work like I wanted it to.

He was asking for a solution to a problem. The problem wasn't that the ringtone was David Lee Roth, it's that there was a major violation of etiquette. Instead of looking for a complex solution to a simple problem, look for the simple solution. Leave the phone behind when in meetings and you no longer have to worry about whether you remembered to silenced your phone for this meeting.

Think about it, the accepted solution is going as such:
  1. Set up calendar in phone, google, exchange or whatever provider you are using
  2. Set up sync with calendar on phone
  3. Download app that looks at Sync'd calendar to learn when meetings are so your ringer will silence during that time

Now what happens if your meeting goes long? Gotta go change the calendar and sync the phone so it turns the ringer off.

What about if there is an impromptu meeting? Tell your boss you will be there in a minute after you add a new event to your calendar and sync it with your phone so it will be silent during the meeting. Btw, boss, exactly how long will the meeting be so I can make sure my personal cell phone doesn't ring?

Or just leave it behind for all meetings and then you never have to worry about it. Are you going to tell everyone to hold on and answer it if you see it flash instead of hearing it ring? If not, there is no need to have it anyway.

Yes, this is a lecture. It's the same thing you got every time you went to class to learn something. Is it all of the sudden a problem because people are trying to teach something outside of the classroom? Nobody is saying he's a douche for wanting to have fun with ringers. We are just educating him that there may be a bigger problem in place that could cost him his employment. And yes, I've seen people fired for having cell phones on at inappropriate times and in inappropriate places.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones