Ringtones, Notifications, Alarms = ES File Explorer FTWTips

Last Updated: 2013-02-24 16:15:42
  1. NeoDraven

NeoDraven Well-Known Member

Finally figured out how to set ANY song as an alarm, a notification or a ringtone, after having hacked apart several songs to come up with crappy, crunchy-sounding files that had about a 30-second limit.

Instead of selecting the tone using the native file system, just use ES File Explorer. Not necessary to put the tones in any specific folder, or anything.

I finally have the original Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare as my Notification tone, the Opening Theme as my Ringtone, and the Prelude Theme as my Alarm.

Sepatown.

Advertisement
  2. surlypoker

surlypoker Well-Known Member

Lol.. i have the original zelda theme for ringtone, zeldas found a secret for notification, and final fantasy IIIs opera song for alarm...
  3. xer0615

xer0615 Member

This is exactly what I've been trying to do, not at all a fan of the stock notifications.. what do you mean the "es file explorer"???
  4. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

all you have to do is put the song/sound/audio file in the correct directory and you can use it for anything, no need to have a third party app to do what can be done without it
  5. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

Well you need a root file explorer to get to that directory.
  6. tapteresa

tapteresa New Member

Ok, so I'm new to this phone (att avail), and androids in general. I downloaded ES file explorer and it's great. I can use my own files or anything I download as any tone I want, but I was wondering how I can use one of the default tones, because i can't seem to find them anywhere in the file directory. What am I missing?
  7. out of ideas

out of ideas Well-Known Member

The sounds that came with the phone are stored in a system folder, not on your sdcard. You can go into settings, hit sound, and set the different tones from there. Pick android system when you get the pop up to open the ringtones. It will have a bunch of them pop up. or they are also in /system/media/audio in different folders.
  8. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

You need to setup ES to explore root to see them. It is in your apps settings.
  9. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

This is how I got my LCARS trek sounds to work for notifications. Ringtones don't need an app but using the default notification selector (android system) only shows the stock sounds no matter if you copied it via ES or not. To use your own use ES for the default tone selector and pick one. Any folder...
  10. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

you're absolutely WRONG

if any type of sound file is copied to the correct location on the phone, it can be selected for anything--ringtone, notification, alarm, etc.--without using a third party app to select it

here's several examples from the sound settings menu for ringtones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a couple examples from the sound settings for notifications

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's an example from the ringtone menu in the alarm settings

[​IMG]

for some reason none of you seem to listen very well when i've clearly said the same thing above before...