• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ringtones, Notifications, Alarms = ES File Explorer FTW

NeoDraven

Feb 24, 2012
Finally figured out how to set ANY song as an alarm, a notification or a ringtone, after having hacked apart several songs to come up with crappy, crunchy-sounding files that had about a 30-second limit.

Instead of selecting the tone using the native file system, just use ES File Explorer. Not necessary to put the tones in any specific folder, or anything.

I finally have the original Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare as my Notification tone, the Opening Theme as my Ringtone, and the Prelude Theme as my Alarm.

Sepatown.

Ok, so I'm new to this phone (att avail), and androids in general. I downloaded ES file explorer and it's great. I can use my own files or anything I download as any tone I want, but I was wondering how I can use one of the default tones, because i can't seem to find them anywhere in the file directory. What am I missing?

Upvote 0
The sounds that came with the phone are stored in a system folder, not on your sdcard. You can go into settings, hit sound, and set the different tones from there. Pick android system when you get the pop up to open the ringtones. It will have a bunch of them pop up. or they are also in /system/media/audio in different folders.

Upvote 0
This is how I got my LCARS trek sounds to work for notifications. Ringtones don't need an app but using the default notification selector (android system) only shows the stock sounds no matter if you copied it via ES or not. To use your own use ES for the default tone selector and pick one. Any folder...

you're absolutely WRONG

if any type of sound file is copied to the correct location on the phone, it can be selected for anything--ringtone, notification, alarm, etc.--without using a third party app to select it

here's several examples from the sound settings menu for ringtones

droidscreen-1_zpsdb26f3e2.png

droidscreen-2_zps05a90475.png

droidscreen-3_zps1a79a1ae.png

droidscreen-4_zpsdc208a5a.png

droidscreen-5_zpsf373a56d.png

and here's a couple examples from the sound settings for notifications

droidscreen-7_zpsd4041420.png

droidscreen-8_zps8a900b1c.png

and here's an example from the ringtone menu in the alarm settings

droidscreen-30_zps11918b70.png

for some reason none of you seem to listen very well when i've clearly said the same thing above before...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones