Ripped Off By Droid Pirate

1. nearpar

nearpar New Member

Guys I don't know if this is the place to put this, but let me know if I am wrong...
    I am not sure why this person has ripped me off, but here is the story.
    I purchased a Android Honeycomb operating system for my Viewsonic G-tablet from from www.droidpirate.com back in December of 2011. It arrived and I tried to install it and could not get it to work. I contacted Justin Ide owner of droid priate.com and he said that I could send him my Gtablet and he would install it and sned it back the next day. well it has been 6 weeks and I have emailed hime no less than 12 times through his email address, his website and even his facebook page. Absolutlely no answer to any of my emails and he also tuened off my ability to post on his facebook account as well. I have the proof that the device was delivered to his address through my Fedex account. He has in essence stolen my device ! I contacted the FBI web site fraud department on this.
    Any advice on how to handle this ? I have all of his information including his addresses and even a photo of him.:mad:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I'm sorry about your predicament as it sounds like a scam from the start. Hopefully the place you sent it to isn't just some mule that is repackaging it and sending is somewhere else or that law enforcement can track it all down.

I have been loading custom roms (the Honeycomb you thought you were buying) for over two years and never, never, have I had to pay for it ahead of time. Some ask for a donation, but not as a condition of downloading it. This is why I think you were scammed.

On this site there is usually an "All things root" sub forum for each device with instructions and available roms. If you are able to get your tablet back, l'm sure you'll be able the get the help here for you to get it back in working order and/or root and rom it.
  3. Prime85

Prime85 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I do believe you were scammed. Honeycomb is free so you shouldn't of had to pay for it to start with.
  4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Oh man that sucks. I just read this. I hope you got your gtab back. :(

These types of people is what makes the internet look bad.
  5. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

I'm very sorry to say this, but it appears you were scammed . At this point, beyond the FBI action already taken, you might want to contact your local police as well as his/her. Good luck.

It's already been mentioned,and please don't take this as any form of rebuke but you should never pay for any sort of non OEM rom upgrade. If you have any question as to whether things are on the up and up, post a question in the appropriate section here or pm myself or another staff member and we will be happy to assist you.

***just looked at the site and this guy is selling a very slightly modified version of the original gtablet rom for $5. Beyond a few icons and animations, it is not honeycomb in any way. This is freely available software that this person has no right selling.***
  6. ajore22

ajore22 Well-Known Member

Ouch :(

I do think Droid pirate is a scam. A while back, before I knew much about rooting, I soft bricked a gtablet. I didn't know what to do, so I ended up paying about $5 to Droid pirate for what I think was the stock recovery package.
  7. kymago

kymago New Member

I wish that I had found this site before I sent Justin some money for a tnt lite order.
    He Never answers my numerous emails.
    I had to file a complaint with Paypal this morning.
    This hurts us all in the long run.
    Tom
  8. kymago

kymago New Member

Your lost G Tablet..
    Have you had any success in retriving your tablet?
    Please post and let us know.
    He needs to be stopped in doing these kind of things.

Tom
  9. nearpar

nearpar New Member

Sorry for the long delay I forgot about getting back to the forum Anyway I never got my Gtablet back. I just tried to access his website and it appears it is down( droidpirate.com ) ..for good. Anyway I have moved on and purchased a new tablet ( Asus eeepad transformer ) Nice tablet works great !
  10. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I'm sorry you got scammed. Stick around here, folks like Pasta and I will get you pointed in the right direction with rooting and such and we ask nothing in return.