Ripping DVDs for Nexus 7Support

Last Updated:

1. BDT

BDT Member

I'm using Handbrake to digitize DVDs we own for my daughter before an upcoming car trip. They play on the Nexus 7 using the Google Movies app, but they play only in portrait mode. Any suggestions on how to get them to show up in landscape?

I installed Rockplayer Lite and got them to show up in landscape, but the aspect wasn't preserved (e.g., The Muppets were skinny).

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

I don't have my device yet, but I have seen some folks mention a toggle in settings somewhere to enable landscape viewing.

I hope that helps.
  3. Rhyan

Rhyan Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what settings are you using in Handbrake?

Rhyan
  4. BDT

BDT Member

Landscape viewing appears to already be enabled (though I did search for a setting that might be buried). I tested it by watching Transformers, which comes with the device. That flipped to landscape right away.
  5. BDT

BDT Member

For Handbrake settings, I'm using the "Android - High" preset. The Picture Source is 720x480. The width defaults to 720x478, with the 478 (and "Keep Aspect ratio") grayed out. Anamorphic = loose, modulus = 16, display size = 856x480 (not editable).

The only change is that I set the Framerate (FPS) to "Same as source." When I left it at the default (29.97), the video was way faster than the audio. Audio was normal, but video looked like double-time.

I also tried the iPad settings, but still had the same problem.
    MetroSquard likes this.
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but have you tried tweaking settings using Spare Parts? I know it helped screen sizing with the original Galaxy Tab.
  7. jds4000

jds4000 Well-Known Member

Try MX Player.
    BDT likes this.
  8. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

Isn't the Nexus 1280X800 HD? What if you change that setting if possible? Maybe picture source?

Not sure on this, just a suggestion. Never used Handbrake.
  9. BDT

BDT Member

I tried that, but I can't increase the picture setting above 720. The input is a DVD, so not HD-quality, but I'd like it to take up the whole Nexus 7 screen even if there is reduction in video quality.
  10. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Seems no point in doing very high res or bit rates, since no sd slot, unless watching a movie and then replacing with another.
  11. BDT

BDT Member

Perfect! Worked great, looks gorgeous. Should have done that last night instead of struggling.

Thanks so much for the help everyone.
  12. fartblossom

fartblossom Active Member

I'm experimenting with google drive. After I rip the movie, I then convert it with handbrake, and then I dump it in my google drive. When it shows up in my N7 google drive, I can launch it, which downloads a temp file, or I can check the "make available offline" box and put it on the N7. Nice because it doesn't make a permanent file unless you want it to.

With 600 meg files though, you have to be patient.
  13. adamlautner201

adamlautner201 New Member

If you notice that Nexus 7 isn
  14. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of DVD Catalyst.
    I used it to rip all of my DVDs to files I can use on my tablet or a set top box.
  15. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

Okay, not to sound too dumb. After I make what ever video file i want, do I have to save it to cloud storage, then retrieve it on my N7 ?
  16. rootbrain

17. hal1

hal1 Well-Known Member

Never mind. I didn't even think that I could just drop file from PC to N7 via micro USB, just like my phone. :eek:
  18. rootbrain

19. bam77bam

bam77bam New Member

Bit of a tech numpty here I'm afraid...I have just got a Nexus 7 which I understand how to use etc but would liketo put some films on for my daughter to watch on the plane- how do i go about this...someone told me to download handbrake but I don't really understand how that works either...
    :confused:
  20. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

Google it...'how to use handbrake'. There are many videos and walk-throughs. I used it once or twice a few years ago so can be of no help.
  21. Unforgiven

You probably have two options, using handbrake as mentioned above (I don't know how to use it but will probably need to figure it out at some point) or purchase the movies in the Play market. Then in the movie app, click the little push pin on the bottom right corner to store them locally on your device.
  22. Rhyan

Rhyan Well-Known Member

If you're talking about ripping films from DVDs, you'll need more than Handbrake, as the DVD will need to be decrypted first. Handbrake only does conversion from one format to one that's suitable for whatever device you want. It doesn't do decryption (or at least the version I use doesn't - someone could correct me if I'm wrong).

I use DVDFab to decrypt DVDs - it's pretty comprehensive. It may look like you have to pay for it, but it has a 30-or-so day trial period, after which the decryption part will continue to function without payment (basically it continues as a slimmed down version after the trial period).

The output of DVDFab will give you a series of VOB files that you point Handbrake towards. Handbrake then uses those VOB files to create a video file that can be transferred and played through the Nexus (well, any device - personally I use it for my iPod Touch; I will likely use it for an HTC One X when I get one of those, and the Nexus 7 when I get one of those). There are various standard profiles pre-loaded (it sets the resolution and size for you), one of which is for Android.

As one of the other posters has said, there's plenty of explanation out there of how to use Handbrake, but I hope this gives you enough to get started.

There are many options out there for doing these sorts of things. Most of the one-stop-shop versions you have to pay for. I went for the free ones, hence the slightly convoluted method.

Rhyan
    bam77bam and breadnatty08 like this.
  23. Nalej

Nalej Well-Known Member

What about adding "digital copies" of BluRay/DVDs you have bought?
    How can I just add those since they don't need to be decrypted?
  24. Unforgiven

I have a bunch of those, I'll try it tonight when I get home from work.
    Nalej likes this.
  25. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 Well-Known Member

Try DVD Catalyst 4. I use that to convert my dvd's into mp4 files which can be played on any android device or computer. It is a pay program though, so be forewarned. You can try to get started with that, and if you have any questions, just post them up here and I'm sure myself or someone in the community can answer them.
    stridermt2k and bam77bam like this.