• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ripping DVDs for Nexus 7

What about adding "digital copies" of BluRay/DVDs you have bought?
How can I just add those since they don't need to be decrypted?

will not work since 95% of digital copies come from Apple and will work with Itunes or are locked to only play in Windows media player. a decryption and conversion would be necessary, but cannot be explained here due to possible copyright issues. this stuff can be googled.

Upvote 0
Try DVD Catalyst 4. I use that to convert my dvd's into mp4 files which can be played on any android device or computer. It is a pay program though, so be forewarned. You can try to get started with that, and if you have any questions, just post them up here and I'm sure myself or someone in the community can answer them.
that sounds promising ...do i just google dvd catalyst 4? will my laptop become riddled with viruses?

Upvote 0
I'm using DVD Catalyst right now. It's insanely straightforward and after you download a pop up comes up telling you how to install and use it.

Select your device, insert your movie, conversion takes about 30 minutes, and then it tells you to plug in your device and you load the movie up.

I just converted Wedding Crashers and 21 Jump Street and now I'm doing Act of Valor. Each file is roughly a gig, but it's so worth it.

Upvote 0
For Handbrake settings, I'm using the "Android - High" preset. The Picture Source is 720x480. The width defaults to 720x478, with the 478 (and "Keep Aspect ratio") grayed out. Anamorphic = loose, modulus = 16, display size = 856x480 (not editable).

The only change is that I set the Framerate (FPS) to "Same as source." When I left it at the default (29.97), the video was way faster than the audio. Audio was normal, but video looked like double-time.
I used these settings to rip a DVD. An animated movie from DVD looked okay on Google Movies and looked MUCH better on MX Player. But, on MX Player I had to set it to 150% zoom to get the right ratio (again, still looked better than the Google Movies app).
So, are these the right settings on handbrake?

Upvote 0
I'm using DVD Catalyst right now. It's insanely straightforward and after you download a pop up comes up telling you how to install and use it.

Select your device, insert your movie, conversion takes about 30 minutes, and then it tells you to plug in your device and you load the movie up.

I just converted Wedding Crashers and 21 Jump Street and now I'm doing Act of Valor. Each file is roughly a gig, but it's so worth it.

Definitely worth it. I've had a few movies even take up a gig and a half, like Dark Knight. But if nothing else, its good to just have a back-up copy of all of your movies.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, the movie industry uses "DRM" to lock down the video on the digital copy, which prevents you from using them on unauthorized devices including the Android-based NEXUS 7. It is a pleasure that 20th Century Fox is aiming to change all that and will be bringing digital copy downloads to Android but I didn

Upvote 0
Do you need to use DVDFab to decrypt DVDs before using DVD Catalyst? Or will it convert a standard store bought DVD directly? (non-blue ray)

Try DVD Catalyst 4. I use that to convert my dvd's into mp4 files which can be played on any android device or computer. It is a pay program though, so be forewarned. You can try to get started with that, and if you have any questions, just post them up here and I'm sure myself or someone in the community can answer them.

Upvote 0
Do you need to use DVDFab to decrypt DVDs before using DVD Catalyst? Or will it convert a standard store bought DVD directly? (non-blue ray)
Since DVD Catalyst is developed by a US company, it does not have the ability to decrypt DRM on commercial DVD's and Blu-rays.

I use AnyDVD from Slysoft. It sits in the tray and when you insert a copy protected disc, it removes the copy protection...

Upvote 0
Screen%20Shot%202012-09-18%20at%205.16.38%20PM_zps4d984e04.png
I just downloaded DVD Ripper Pro for Mac. Has ratios for so many devices from Mac to Xoom to more Android devices. I will try it out.

Upvote 0
Since DVD Catalyst is developed by a US company, it does not have the ability to decrypt DRM on commercial DVD's and Blu-rays.

I use AnyDVD from Slysoft. It sits in the tray and when you insert a copy protected disc, it removes the copy protection...

Not true. It decrypts commercial DVDs just fine. It really is a one click solution - put the disc in the drive and click go.

That said, it also has hundreds of options if you care to tinker with them. I'd recommend using HQXT mode as it reduces file size and increases quality, but the defaults are just fine.

You don't need another program to make it work. The trial version will convert half a DVD so you can test it before you buy it to the works with your setup.

The dev is enormously helpful too - there are loads of help pages and instructions on the deeper settings on the website if you want to go digging for them. You really can't go wrong with this program.

Upvote 0
I use AnyDVD to rip DVDs to ISO's but I'm getting fed up with not being able to play these on my N7. I recently tried Pavtube which encodes to MKV format. This seems really very good for films, it is extremely quick at encoding, but not good for TV Series DVDs as you can't access the DVD menu in the same way as an ISO container.

I wish someone would write an Android app to let me use my ISO's....!
I'd deffo pay for that :)

Upvote 0
I have no idea what I'm doing!

Have installed Handbrake and am praticing converting files just using a trailer from the DVD. I've tried all the presets 'Universal' 'Android' 'Android tablet' 'normal' and 'high profile'. I've changed the Framerate (FPS) to same as source as someone sugested. Using MX player to play.... BUT EVERYTHING IS STILL PIXALATING!!!!!!

This is driving me nuts please help!

Upvote 0
If you're trying to convert a DVD that has some sort of DRM on it, you'll need something to strip that away first before getting Handbrake to do the conversion.

My personal preferance at the moment is MakeMKV (free in Beta) for decrypting. I used to use DVDFab (the HD Decrypter module, which is the module you need for stripping away the DRM, was free after a 30 day trial period).

I prefer MakeMKV to DVDFab as you can selectively decrypt multiple tracks on the same DVD or Bluray disc. DVDFab requires you to choose one track at a time, which is a bit of a faff if you're trying to decrypt a DVD having multiple tracks (eg mulitple episodes in a series).

After decrypting, open the file(s) in Handbrake and set it to convert to whatever format you want (I used the "Android High" profiile for my HTC One X and Nexus 7).

Hope that helps.

Rhyan

Upvote 0
I'm a fan of DVD Catalyst.
I used it to rip all of my DVDs to files I can use on my tablet or a set top box.

I've never heard of this software and it looks great. Pity it's not freeware though, in your opinion is it worth purchasing? I'm looking into purchasing this but I'd like to hear of other people opinions before.

Upvote 0
I've never heard of this software and it looks great. Pity it's not freeware though, in your opinion is it worth purchasing? I'm looking into purchasing this but I'd like to hear of other people opinions before.

on the web site they are offering it for 10 dollars not a bad price. personally i use dvd::rip for Linux and it works great

Upvote 0

I use DVD Catalyst for both standard and Blu-Ray discs and it is great (I use AnyDVD HD with it to rip Blu-Ray). Probably ripped about 300 DVDs with it so far for viewing on my N7 and Transformer Prime tablets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones