Risks of rooting

Last Updated:

1. cgm24

cgm24 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to be purchasing a SIM free Desire shortly, though I must admit I'm very tempted to wait for more information about this Desire HD. Either way, I'm really looking forward to rooting it and playing around with it properly but am terrified of this random brick I've seen mentioned. How likely am I to completely wreck it? If the worst does happen, is it likely to be recoverable using the guides I've seen on xda or will it be completely bricked? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the USB-brick issue should be fixable in all cases now.

Is there a risk? Yes, there's always a risk. Overwhelming opinion seems to be that the risk is extremely minimal now.

I used Unrevoked, it took about five minutes and the most complicated part was installing a driver in Windows. And it even gives you giant step-by-step pictures of that if you need it :) .

3. Mik3h

Mik3h Well-Known Member

Tunga, what ROM did you use when rooting for the first time using unrevoked?

4. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

I didn't, I just rooted my existing ROM (stock HTC 2.1).

Looking to put a Froyo ROM on it but haven't decided which one yet. And waiting for my class 6 card to arrive before I do it. Most likely one of MoDaCo, OpenDesire, or DeFrost.

5. cgm24

cgm24 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for clarifying it. Is the main issue rooting itself or each time you flash the ROMs?

6. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

I think bricking used to happen during the rooting process. Once you have root you can flash new ROMs as much as you like. And if it goes wrong then you can just flash the old one back.

cgm24 likes this.
  7. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

As long as you remember to back at least one of them up with nandroid - or at least that makes it a gazillion times easier to get your phone back if something does go wrong.