• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rockbox for Android

Just 2 days ago a user who has been hammering away for a couple of months on a port of Rockbox for Android released it along with the daily builds. There is currently no pre-built APK (like there is for the different media players the project already supports) so you'll haveto download the source and compile it yourself... Initial reports sound promising and already some major bugs like high CPU load, are being improved rapidly

Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

For those who don't know Rockbox is an alternative OS that runs on a lot of different media player platforms, iPod, Sansa, Archos, etc... Extending their capablities, such as additional music file support (like FLAC), Hugely customizable GUI and constant updates and improvements.

I use it for my aging iPod Video and always hoped they would build the music player portion into an Android app someday

I havent been able to download the source code to compile an APK for it, either the server is down or my job's network is blocking it.

I don't know if i would be allowed to post a compiled APK here. I'll let you guys know once i can, or if i find one already compiled.

Unless someone here beats me to it ;)

well thats weird... someones post as well as my reply got deleted?! What happened?

Anyhow i'll repost:

i'm having issues with building the APK, got the libraries and tools installed but keep getting an error. Haven't tried again since last week though, may take another crack at it this weekend.

Good news is that the guy working on it has been making drastic improvements since he released the source into the daily builds. I'm still hoping that, like the other player builds, they'll soon start releasing an actual APK build of it soon, especially if i can't figure out my problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones