Rocking the Droid Solo: Why the heck does Netgear's WNR1000v1 hate Droids?!

Last Updated:

1. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

"What the heck is a Droid Solo?"

I'll answer that one a little later, don't panic.

Question:
    Why does Netgear's WNR1000v1 Router hate Droids?

Situation:
    I just bought my girlfriend a Droid Solo (I have one too) and I went to hook up her bad boy to the wifi at her apartment today. Well, she's on MAC secured no password wifi (thanks to me) and I setup everything as normal (I do the same thing at my place with no problems, ASUS RT-N10 router) and we were totally excited to get her started!

Well, it did connect to wifi perfectly fine, but it wasn't able to actually use it. Problem! So after verifying MAC addresses on her droid solo, I whipped out mine and set it up accordingly with MAC, etc. Same thing! It says it's connected and happy, but when I try the net, marketplace, apps, sipdroid, etc. it's all "omigogglz I hatechu!!" Yeah, weird thing to say to a person, huh?

Anyway, that's my situation. Go back to my place tonight to type up the tut and my droid's all "AHHH DROOOOIIIDD!!!!!" like it hasn't been updated in 100 years!! Again, I'm rocking the ASUS RT-N10 router, MAC specific wifi access (no password) and all that fun stuff. Our Droid Solos connect perfectly fine here, but with her router (which is a pita bread slice) we can't get nothin'! Our laptops/netbook work fine, but no droids. Sad llama!!

"So, about the Droid Solo??"

Okay, okay. Don't worry, you didn't miss out on a secret model release so stop googling it!! You might only find posts by me if you did (since I coined the name ;) ) so you're better off getting the model update from me. The Droid Solo is just an "offline" version of the Droid! That's it!!

Sorry to compare to Apple and all, but think of it as the iPod Touch from the iPhone. Your Droid is the iPhone because it has phone service and Verizon/Sprint/etc. is all "Hey, this guy has a Droid! Wooot!" But with the Droid Solo, you go on Craigslist (or eBay, whatever means really) and buy a Droid that doesn't have service! Ta da!! Instant Droid Solo!!

So why buy a Droid Solo?

Simple!! Some people (such as cheap college students like myself) prefer not to pay Verizon/Sprint/etc. a hefty bill of $20+ a month just for the data plan. Yeah I know, I could get 3G and phone access anywhere, but for saving a good chunk of money (I bought my Droid Solo for $50 on CL ;) ) every month, I'm okay with that. It's not like I'm not in wifi range almost 24/7 anyway thanks to college, home and work. You can also use the Droid Solo as a phone thanks to Google Voice, SipGate, SipDroid, and the GV CallBack app! But that's a differnt story, PM me and if there's enough interest I'll create a tutorial on it.

And btw mods, that's not a promo ad; I knew you were thinking it in the back of your head when you clicked on this post. ;) I just simply provided the answer to your question!

Advertisement
  2. jon hazle

jon hazle Active Member

Erm... the netgear question is easy to answer. But wait there's more see you can also just get pay as you go data and voice on many different carriers so you still aren't bound by a contract price but can enjoy the droid... like you know.. outside somewhere away from all that wifi. Just my .02

3. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please help me with the netgear question if it's so easy, I've been stumped all day!

And yes I know, I'm active on a few blog posts/threads/etc. to help people find the best pay-as-you-go plan. But for me since I'm only an addition to a family plan for $10 a month on Verizon, it's not worth it to make a new plan for $20+/mo on another carrier or whatever. Savings are almost null and void there, so the Droid Solo is my best option! :)