Rogers Acer Liquid e

Last Updated:

1. Akkuzo

Akkuzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So... what do we think? Under clocked snapdragon, less ram than the magic... worth it or perhaps we "Desire" something better?

Advertisement
  2. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

Rogers kept hinting at a motorola android device coming to rogers. So your either getting the Devour, Click, Backflip, or Motoroi. So i would say screw the liquid and wait

3. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 will also be comming out this sping as well.. start of Q2

4. Akkuzo

Akkuzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The x10 makes me nervous. The whole ui seems overdone and it's not clear whether you can turn it off. The potential ability to integrate with my ps3 is interesting but not enough to make me want the phone. The Liquid just isn't enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile and I'm really not sure why they're bothering to bring it in. The Motoroi would be sweet and make me want to upgrade, as would the legend or desire.

5. Chiefbroom

Chiefbroom Member

Just thought I'd give this post a little bump. Has anyone tried the Acer Liquid E yet? I understand it's being delivered to stores now. I would love to upgrade my "old" HTC Dream, but I'm wondering if this would be my best option, or if I should just keep patient and wait for the next best thing. Although it seems like the next best thing is constantly half a year away.

6. Silvertag

Silvertag Well-Known Member

7. Chiefbroom

Chiefbroom Member

I'd love to get the Desire, but there hasn't even been an announcement that it's coming to Rogers, let alone an actual date.

What about getting an unlocked phone from another carrier?

8. Silvertag

If you can cash out 700$ for a unlock phone i say go for it :D. I just can't afford this amount for something that becomes obsolete in just 6 months and knowing i'm gonna be tempted by all the new phones. I have to wait and see then use my HUP.

If your phone is still in good condition in that 6 months down the road you can always resell it to absorb the cost of your next unlock purchase.

Mobiles keep pushing the pace and i feel like it was i'm in the pc cpu race back in the late 90's.

9. Chiefbroom

Chiefbroom Member

Well I don't think I could afford $700 for an unlocked phoned, but some of the phones coming out are in the $400 range, and at that point it's getting more tempting! But just knowing the fact that six months from now I may be stuck with a device that is not going to be updated completely frustrates me!

10. ksc6000

ksc6000 Active Member

11. Silvertag

Nope it's 512 ROM and 256 RAM. In your link they just said 512MB but did not specify where :). They also said 1Ghz when it's a 768Mhz.

EDIT: Just checked the Acer site.. Both Liquid E and Ferrari Edition are listed has 512 MB Ram but it's still a 768Mhz Snapdragon 8250 inside. Some say the 8250 is 1Ghz Acer says 768Mhz go figure.

http://mobile.acer.com/phones/liquide/details/?s=specs (Item #13)

http://mobile.acer.com/phones/liquidferrari/details/?s=specs (Item #13)

12. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

it is the same 1Ghz CPU you see in a lot of phones now.. Acer has just under-clocked it for better battery life.

13. ksc6000

ksc6000 Active Member

So if its a 512 mb RAM phone then that seems pretty good to me.

14. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

I'm on the list for a review unit, so when I get it, I'll let y'all know if it's worth it.

15. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member

Look for a review of the Acer Liquid on Leave No Droid Behind in the coming weeks once we get our review units and can put them to the test. :)

16. Chiefbroom

Chiefbroom Member

I have been looking in pretty much EVERY store in Ottawa, and though some have the demo unit in the store, I have yet to see a working device. I would very much like to try the touchscreen for a while before I decide if this is what I want to go through with.

17. mjschmidt

Just got my review unit from Rogers about an hour ago.

First impression: so far, so good. Nice enough phone, but feels/looks more like a PDA (like my old Palm TX) than a phone.

Not "sexy" like the X10, more a "gadget" look to it.

Fortunately no crappy manufacturer UI slapped on top! Yay! Just good, old, Android 2.1.

18. Chiefbroom

Chiefbroom Member

I finally found a store in the west end that had some units and someone let me try it out. Very tempted! But its just frustrating wondering if the next great phone will be released right after I buy this one. I guess thats just part of the game right now.

19. mjschmidt

@chiefbroom: And that's why we need a guaranteed update path from Rogers/manufacturer. As long as we can be assured we will get updates to the OS, then these phones will be good for some time to come and you won't have to worry about the latest/greatest.

Carriers need to "get it" that these phones are now like computers, and it matters if a new phone with better OS comes out. Not everyone can afford to buy a new phone every 12 months (and it's wasteful!) so we want a phone that will be updated.

20. mjschmidt