Rogers Internet Stick & Mobile Data Plan

Last Updated:

1. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Do any of the members within this community have a Rogers Internet Stick? Do you also have a Data plan for your mobile device? If you said Yes to both, could you try popping your SIM in the internet stick and see if you can surf the web with your mobile SIM and data plan?

If someone has already tried this and can validate it, that would be great.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I thought of this post when I finally had a chance to try it. Yes, slipping a data only SIM from the stick into a phone works just fine. I ran a SIP app and made calls over data no problem. everything worked as expected.

puleen likes this.
  3. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

FYI, you mentioned also having a data plan for the mobile device, that doesn't matter since that SIM isn't in the device when using the stick SIM. The apps on the device originally configured are all about google and not rogers.
    An interesting sidenote is that since you're changing SIMs the google sync in android will ask you to manually authenticate once after which everything including contacts etc work normally. It isn't tied to the SIM or your normal voice/data plan in any way other than detecting the SIM change for your approval. Data is data and I am pleased that it does detect the change and has you confirm your login one time. You could also SIM up with a Euro SIM when on holiday and everything will work normally.

4. puleen

puleen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I attend Google IO 2010 next week, I am going to get a pay as you go voice and data sim in the US and stick it in the Nexus One and will see if I can pick up a USB Rocket Stick type of thing which would work in Canada. Let's see.... :)