• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] [05.01.11] Velocity V1.1 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.1 Froyo | Super Fast | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed it and it isn't listed in the App drawer, but it is listed in the Settings / Manage Applications as Adobe Flash Player 10.1. I was able to move it back to the phone from there. However, when I went online and downloaded a Flash Video .swf file, the Ally is unable to play it. So how is this supposed to work exactly?

Edit - I just checked the thread for this download over on XDA, and did not find anyone saying it worked on the Ally.

its not supposed to be listed in the app drawer, its not on any phone with flash, it doesnt behave like a normal application. and i've used it for tinyshark, which is a grooveshark browsing application that definately REQUIRES flash, and its worked fine. ive also surfed several sites with dolphin browser HD, all youtube vids have worked, miniclip games, and grooveshark's full site... and i didnt see anybody say that either, i believe i was the first ally user to test it, and its worked fine for me.. i apologize if it doesnt work for you, because ive been down that exact road thousands of times

Upvote 0
Just downloaded this version of flash and it worked smoothly on a video i tested with on dolphin browser hd. Going to check out more videos on more sites just to see if we're limited to some videos.

EDIT- Checked a few more videos and the browsers (stock and dolphin) seem to force close when there are two or more things on the page that require flash. Maybe its just my Ally. {OCed to 787}

maybe you should attempt to access the same sites while overclocking? i havent been testing it under sites with multiple plugin containers... and ive only been using a frequency from 480-600 mhz

Upvote 0
So you are viewing the Flash videos ON a website, not actually downloading a .swf file? Perhaps that is why it didn't work for me. I looked for "Flash Videos" and when I found one and tapped on it the phone did not offer to view it, just to download it.

the thing is, before adobe flash player 9, flash videos streaming from a website used the native GPU primarily, and the cpu was only implemented as substantially as it is due to the increase in performance... flash video files (.flv, .f4v and .swf) were only accessible through a seperate codec, originally made by macromedia. when adobe flash player version 9.0.115.0 (adobe flash player 9 update 3) came out, it implemented both of these functions in its code. since this version of adobe 10.1 for armv6 isn't made or sanctioned by Adobe, it probably has cut out entire implementations of its code that enable the playing of .flv, .f4v, and .swf due to the strain it puts in the older, less capable armv6 CPUs. it probably only supports flahs media streaming and encoding through applications... this is only an assumption based on your claims of the .swf not working, i haven't tried to play .swf myself, nor have i read up on possible exclusions this build of 10.1 for armv6 may have.

Upvote 0
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess it would be worth installing again and trying to view Flash videos directly from a browser. I have sometimes been able to do that using the Skyfire browser. It can play, for example, the walk-through videos on the Angry Birds support site. But for some reason other flash videos just sit there "loading" forever and never play on Skyfire.

I prefer Opera Mobile for most of my browsing on the Ally. Have you used it? I wonder if it can implement this Flash capability once installed?

Upvote 0
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess it would be worth installing again and trying to view Flash videos directly from a browser. I have sometimes been able to do that using the Skyfire browser. It can play, for example, the walk-through videos on the Angry Birds support site. But for some reason other flash videos just sit there "loading" forever and never play on Skyfire.

I prefer Opera Mobile for most of my browsing on the Ally. Have you used it? I wonder if it can implement this Flash capability once installed?

your welcome, but if another user contradicts my explanation then they're probably worth listening to, due to the fact that im as un-advanced as advanced users get... and skyfire works perfectly for me when browsing flash videos, i just don't like the fact that you cant seek throughout the video, and that it takes several extra seconds to convert to .3gp... and everybody, including the releaser of this version of flash, said that it did not work for opera mobile (sorry:[ ) but i suggest, as do they, to use dolphin browser HD for best quality when using flash on an ally. i would suggest firefox mobile, but it doesnt support armv6 in the full version:( (just like that damn flash)

Upvote 0
There is a very specific reason why I use Opera Mobile.

After rooting the Ally I found myself using it almost as much as my PCs, especially for posting in forums like this one. Have you ever tried typing a post as long as this, on this forum, from Dolphin Browser?

When the built in Google browser started lagging my thumb typing in forums so seriously that it was unnerving, I started trying every other browser that was available for Android. Somewhere on this site I have a thread about this and several of the browsers people recommended are mentioned by name. All of them had the same lag issue to some varying degree, until I tried Opera.

Well, the short of it is that ONLY Opera Mobile (and Opera Mini, which I have now stopped using because they ruined its impressive speed in the last update) can keep up with my thumb boarding as I am typing along. Dolphin was one I tried, and it can't keep up either. Some of them are so maddeningly slow I just couldn't stand it. I don't recall if Dolphin was that bad, but it did have the same lagging problem. Skyfire does too. I only keep it installed in case I need to see a Flash video, like back when I did Angry Birds and got stuck on a few levels.

I don't like any of the many onscreen keyboards I have ever seen, which was one major reason I went with the Ally. I'll always have a thumb board if I have any choice at all. In fact I am sort of hoping to see some tablets made with slide-out thumb boards some day! :) No reason it can't be done.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying this Flash add-on doesn't work with Opera. I'll just pass it by then.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
So... any word on a new version of Velocity coming out?

That's G14 classified information. See post # 288 in this thread. An 'asset' will be dispatched to your location to 'clarify'. :)

SHHHHHHHHHHH. . . . That's really the one big thing you are NOT allowed to ask. If you do a little demon straight from the iPhone will come posses your phone and BAM no more Velocity.

But seriously, rule 1. no asking for ETA's

Rule #1 about Fight Club (Velocity Rom); "You Don't Ask Questions Regarding ETA's!!!!!!"

Upvote 0
"Target acquired. Asset awaiting instructions". :D

Attachments

• target.jpg
    target.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: KingOfGreen
Upvote 0
Just wanted to send my thanks again for Velocity, Team Velocity is a tremendous asset all of us, and I am very appreciative of their hard work for all of us. I've only experienced problems with Maps force closing all the time, and that's nothing compared to what I could be dealing with if I were using Stock. Even if v1.1 is the last that we get, I'm still forever grateful for this ROM making my little Ally powerful enough to not make me consider upgrading for some time still.

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry :( I just meant in general, I didn't want an ETA :)

Oh. Well, that's DIFFERENT! :)

A version upgrade to 1.2 is supposed to be in the works. There was mention of it some time back, but no idea when it would be ready (thus the whole "don't ask for ETA" business). Hope you didn't mind the fun. :)

I guess the thing is he doesn't want to spend a lot of time repeating to people that it isn't ready yet. I believe there were a few preview pictures posted back up the thread somewhere showing some of the planned changes.

Cheers!

Zoandar

Upvote 0
Forgive I am new somewhere here, my doubt is the following one: Does Velocity 1.1 work with lg ally 2.2.2 VZE and if it is like that, it would be the same process and not there problems of compatibility? or it would be advisable to wait for me for a piece of news rom for Ally 2.2.2, thanks for the attention.

Upvote 0
Forgive I am new somewhere here, my doubt is the following one: Does Velocity 1.1 work with lg ally 2.2.2 VZE and if it is like that, it would be the same process and not there problems of compatibility? or it would be advisable to wait for me for a piece of news rom for Ally 2.2.2, thanks for the attention.

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to know, having already updated your Ally to VZE, whether you can now flash Velocity 1.1? I may be wrong, but I think there are problems with that idea, having to do with not preserving a function called "Fast Boot", which if I remember right gets disabled with the official VZE ROM update. I think Fast Boot is needed to be able to flash custom ROMs, but perhaps some of our developers can clarify.

You would need to be able to "root" the Ally before you could use a custom ROM. But there have been some new rooting methods come on the scene since I did mine long ago, so it may be possible to still make this work with one of the newer methods.

How about it devs? Can he do this?

Upvote 0
I would like to know if there is a parameter somewhere that I can use to hasten the process of switching between portrait and landscape display mode while running Velocity? My Ally seems to take "forever" (several seconds) before it responds to a change in orientation. I dug around in the Settings and did not see a way to do it from there. In Display there is only the option to turn this feature on or off.

(I wonder if it could be added to a Script Function?? )

:)

Reactions: mcny
Upvote 0
I would like to know if there is a parameter somewhere that I can use to hasten the process of switching between portrait and landscape display mode while running Velocity? My Ally seems to take "forever" (several seconds) before it responds to a change in orientation. I dug around in the Settings and did not see a way to do it from there. In Display there is only the option to turn this feature on or off.

(I wonder if it could be added to a Script Function?? )

:)

mine is pretty slow as well. it might just be the hardware. it was slow with the stock os. i changed the setting so that i have to slide the keyboard open to switch to landscape since i usually only use landscape to text. it's not ideal but it's much quicker to switch and at least it doesn't drive me nuts anymore. :cool:

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
mine is pretty slow as well. it might just be the hardware. it was slow with the stock os. i changed the setting so that i have to slide the keyboard open to switch to landscape since i usually only use landscape to text. it's not ideal but it's much quicker to switch and at least it doesn't drive me nuts anymore. :cool:

I guess I could try that. Where was that setting? :)

Oh, never mind. I figured it out. Just un-check the auto-rotation setting. What is cool is that set this way, it still switches to landscape mode when I dock the Ally in its desktop dock I use for charging (which switches to the clock app automatically).

Upvote 0
My LG ally is already updated to 2.2.2 VZE and this root, the question is that not if it should flash with Velocity 1.1 or to wait for me for an update for this firmware.

I suppose anything is possible, but to our knowledge Verizon considered the LG Ally product as "End Of Life" status this summer. That usually means they would no longer issue OTA updates. So it is logical to assume anything beyond VZE for the Ally is going to have to come from good folks like our developers here on the forum.

Velocity 1.1 (and there is a 1.2 version coming eventually) adds a lot of things to the Ally which the stock ROM never provided. If you are rooted and familiar with custom ROMs I suggest you try Velocity. There is a lot to read on the forum which should answer any questions you may have about it. You can also find more help on the Ally IRC channel. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones