• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[ROM] [05.01.11] Velocity V1.1 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.1 Froyo | Super Fast | Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this piece of trash MIUI music app does not show previously downloaded album artwork AND has downloaded a Justin Bieber album cover for the following Albums:

In This Moment - Beutiful Tragedy
In Flames - Clayman
In Flames - Colony
In Flames - Come Clarity
In Flames - Jester Race
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose
In Flames - Soundtrack to your excape
In Flames - Tokyo Showdown
In Flames - Whoracle

But it did download the correct artwork for the OLDEST In Flames combined album Lunar Strain / Subterranean. And I didn't mention the other 1/3 of my library that it is downloaded either wrong Album Covers or simply none at all. I am fairly certain iTunes can chose and download artwork better than this app, and it is absolutely terrible.

Oh, and more importantly it FCs almost everytime I am using it.

OMG! it has a visual digital oscilloscope and the buttons look like Apple buttons! Can someone tell me how this is prefered over the Stock or "Music Mod" app that actually worked without FCs and displayed Album Artwork correctly?

Please devs, ditch this in 1.2 and never port the full MIUI rom to Ally, I beg of you! This app is proof enough that we don't need it.

Reactions: x-amp
Upvote 0
The hard keyboard has them. I saw an odd pic in the ally forum of what looked like those buttons (maybe others) on the screen. I dont think the person was rooted. I know it doesnt help you at all but you reminded me of it.

Yeah i know but i like different. I was thinking of taken the touch panel from the one new samsung android phone that came out and work with it. I like everything to be at my finger tips.
Still trying to figure what you guys did to not allow spb shell 3d launcher to not run.

Upvote 0
Has any dev figured out why certain apps wouldn't be compatible through the market??

The only app I am having an issue with is this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dollarbank.onlinebanking

I never had an issue when I was using Velocity 1.0, the app developer thought that a custom kernel could have been the cause, but in another thread on AndroidForums I noticed that V1.1 has the same kernel and base ROM (ZVD) as V1.0.

Upvote 0
Do you have other wifi devices that do connect OK in the exact same location?

When you try to turn the Ally wifi on, do you get the curved wifi "bars" indicator up in the notification bar to the left of the 3G symbol? When it doesn't work, what exactly does the error message say?

Do you have wifi at home where you could work on troubleshooting the problem, or are you only trying to access wifi spots away from home? If on a home wifi, and you can get the Ally wifi to turn on OK, the first step in diagnosing wifi connection issues is to turn off your router's encryption temporarily and see if you can then connect. If that works it can either be a matter of settings on the Ally or in the router for encryption which prevented connecting before.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just found this "Root Tools" app on the market. It looks pretty cool with many many options. I downloaded it and it looks pretty badass! However, I'm afraid to do anything with it?
Is it safe to use with velocity 1.1 without screwin' up any scripts or running processes. I just wanna be safe, since my phone is runnin' pretty sweet right now!
I know, why mess with it if it's running good? Well, this app has a lot of really cool options and tweaks and such. Seems like a lot of things we can now do with Velocity, and more!
Check it out and let me know what ya think .....thanks guys!!

Upvote 0
Looks interesting, but may possibly conflict with Velocity scripts. If you do play with it, could you see, for me, if it can do something? I would like to increase the time the Ally screen stays lit when an alarm sounds from a screen-off state. The alarm sounds, I pick up the Ally. If I want to snooze it, I have to select between several choices of snooze time buttons on the calendar interface I use. And by the time I decide and reach to tap the button, the screen goes back to black until the next ring iteration 15 seconds later. It only stays on for a few seconds when all that is goingh down. I'd like to extend the on time during an alarm for even a few seconds.

Upvote 0
Just noticed that the phone reboots anytime I use the camera, or any app that uses the camera. This includes the built in camera app, the camcorder app, Google Docs (scanning docs w/camera), Google Shopper...basically any time the camera is used. The system freezes for about 20 seconds before soft resetting itself.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Guess I will wipe/reflash and see if the issue persists.

Upvote 0
Just noticed that the phone reboots anytime I use the camera, or any app that uses the camera. This includes the built in camera app, the camcorder app, Google Docs (scanning docs w/camera), Google Shopper...basically any time the camera is used. The system freezes for about 20 seconds before soft resetting itself.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Guess I will wipe/reflash and see if the issue persists.

I just read this post, grabbed my Ally, pressed the camera button, and......reboot. The screen goes black, then the Verizon logo, and then the vertical VELOCITY screen appears. I'll try it again a second time once the reboot is finished.

After the reboot, the camera worked fine taking pictures, and also as an input device for the 2 'scanning' apps I use, which are CamScanner and Document Scanner. So not sure what to think. Anyone else having this problem?

Upvote 0
I've searched around to see if i can find a fix to my problem but I haven't so far. My issue is upgrading to Velocity 1.1 I have downloaded Velocity via computer and transferred it to my SD card on my phone and I have also done the OTA update via terminal and i keep having the same problem. I get this error message
Flashing...
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/splash.Ingram","splash") E:Error in /sdcard/download/velocity_1.1_release.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
Then if i just reboot the phone i get stuck at the new Velocity splash screen and that is it. I have to restore back to a previous points. I have tried this multiple times. I have downloaded Velocity several times just to make sure i didn't have a corrupted file and no matter what it gives me the exact error message. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
After upgrading to 1.1 I noticed that the available memory for my apps on my phone nearly tripled. I was sitting at about 30mb and now my phone shows 119mb available. could this be an error?

Also, I used to be able to mount my phone to my car stereo to access the mp3 files on my phone. (I would mount it just like I would with a computer.) For some reason I cannot mount it anymore as the icons that would pop up in my notification bar do not show up anymore. (they still show up when I plug it into a computer.) Any suggestions on a fix or am I just out of luck?

Upvote 0
After upgrading to 1.1 I noticed that the available memory for my apps on my phone nearly tripled. I was sitting at about 30mb and now my phone shows 119mb available. could this be an error?

Also, I used to be able to mount my phone to my car stereo to access the mp3 files on my phone. (I would mount it just like I would with a computer.) For some reason I cannot mount it anymore as the icons that would pop up in my notification bar do not show up anymore. (they still show up when I plug it into a computer.) Any suggestions on a fix or am I just out of luck?

The memory increase comes from the movement of Dalvik-cache away from its default location over to the phone's cache memory. That's a good thing! I believe this now happens automatically when upgrading to 1.1 However, Savoxis has posted, prior to the release of 1.1, that moving it 'sometimes' conflicts with certain apps (no list of which ones).

If your car mounting is associated with an application not intrinsic to the Ally, this 'might' be the reason. You may need to move the Dalvik-cache back to its default location.

Use the Velocity Toolkit app to open Terminal, type in velocity, then on the Rom Utilities Menu Item 7, Toggle Dalvik is what you could try. Try toggling it back to not being moved, and see if that helps. You would again have less memory free, but it might fix the problem.

Reactions: fuhrl
Upvote 0
The memory increase comes from the movement of Dalvik-cache away from its default location over to the phone's cache memory. That's a good thing! I believe this now happens automatically when upgrading to 1.1 However, Savoxis has posted, prior to the release of 1.1, that moving it 'sometimes' conflicts with certain apps (no list of which ones).

If your car mounting is associated with an application not intrinsic to the Ally, this 'might' be the reason. You may need to move the Dalvik-cache back to its default location.

Use the Velocity Toolkit app to open Terminal, type in velocity, then on the Rom Utilities Menu Item 7, Toggle Dalvik is what you could try. Try toggling it back to not being moved, and see if that helps. You would again have less memory free, but it might fix the problem.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather keep that extra space available to me on my phone so I guess it's not a huge deal if I can't mount my phone to my stereo. I have a flash drive with all my music on it anyways but it was nice to be able to charge my phone and play music off it at the same time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather keep that extra space available to me on my phone so I guess it's not a huge deal if I can't mount my phone to my stereo. I have a flash drive with all my music on it anyways but it was nice to be able to charge my phone and play music off it at the same time.

You're welcome!

Of course I could be wrong in guessing the cause, and it might be something else having to do with 1.1. There have been other issues, such as the problem with MMS messages, so this could be something else which needs to be addressed. But the above would be easy enough to check, and if it doesn't help you can always toggle Dalvik back again to regain the memory. It might be satisfying to learn if that really is the cause of your connection problem. If so, perhaps the developers can find a fix for it, and then you get the best of both worlds. :)

Upvote 0
You're welcome!

Of course I could be wrong in guessing the cause, and it might be something else having to do with 1.1. There have been other issues, such as the problem with MMS messages, so this could be something else which needs to be addressed. But the above would be easy enough to check, and if it doesn't help you can always toggle Dalvik back again to regain the memory. It might be satisfying to learn if that really is the cause of your connection problem. If so, perhaps the developers can find a fix for it, and then you get the best of both worlds. :)
I'll give it a shot and report back with my results. I've also found a couple of auto mount programs i'm gonna try out as well..

Upvote 0
I just read this post, grabbed my Ally, pressed the camera button, and......reboot. The screen goes black, then the Verizon logo, and then the vertical VELOCITY screen appears. I'll try it again a second time once the reboot is finished.

After the reboot, the camera worked fine taking pictures, and also as an input device for the 2 'scanning' apps I use, which are CamScanner and Document Scanner. So not sure what to think. Anyone else having this problem?

it appears to be some kind of overflow issue or CPU incompatibility. My phone was rebooting at the stock cpu settings. After my wipe/reflash i am able to use the camera (so far) at the stock 600MHz, but it becomes unstable with any overclocked frequency. no big deal, as long as it works at 600, i guess!

Upvote 0
it appears to be some kind of overflow issue or CPU incompatibility. My phone was rebooting at the stock cpu settings. After my wipe/reflash i am able to use the camera (so far) at the stock 600MHz, but it becomes unstable with any overclocked frequency. no big deal, as long as it works at 600, i guess!

FWIW, I haven't had another reboot from using the camera since that first one, even running clocked at 768 MHz.

Upvote 0

Try switching over to "interactive" governor. I know the dev team prefers "smartass", but in my experience it seems to cause the same camera issues on my phone. Mine will only OC to 729 but is stable with interactive gov. If I go higher camera causes reboot almost every time the camera loads.

Upvote 0
Whatever the devs did with the GPS radio software in the 1.1 update, my Ally now immediately locks on my Lat Lon accurately as soon as I open the market app GPS Status. It used to plod along and sometimes NEVER find my location while indoors here. Now it takes less than 3 seconds!

For some reason I have to do this with GPS Status before Latitude will show an accurate location for me. But once I do, Latitude then puts me spot on the part of my house I am sitting in!

Great work devs!

Edit - Turns out Latitude will locate too without having to open GPS Status first, it just takes a little longer. Maybe a minute.

Upvote 0
Whatever the devs did with the GPS radio software in the 1.1 update, my Ally now immediately locks on my Lat Lon accurately as soon as I open the market app GPS Status. It used to plod along and sometimes NEVER find my location while indoors here. Now it takes less than 3 seconds!

For some reason I have to do this with GPS Status before Latitude will show an accurate location for me. But once I do, Latitude then puts me spot on the part of my house I am sitting in!

Great work devs!

Yea whatever change they made to the GPS was phenomenal. I love the whole package. Great work guys.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones