• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

colchiro

Extreme Android User
Jun 4, 2010
aokptitleblue-1.png

AOKP | tenderloin | April 9 | Build 31 | 4.0.4 - Device Threads - RootzWiki

I installed this on my Nexus the other day and really like it. I'll be installing this soon. :D

This is my new favorite rom. :D

I liked MIUI on my phone, but didn't like how some of the customizations were specific to MIUI and many of the themes were Japanese. I tried MIUI once on my TP, but it didn't last long.

This I like. Just as fast and very customizable. AOKP is the most popular rom in the Galaxy Nexus forum.

Upvote 0
This is my new favorite rom. :D

I liked MIUI on my phone, but didn't like how some of the customizations were specific to MIUI and many of the themes were Japanese. I tried MIUI once on my TP, but it didn't last long.

This I like. Just as fast and very customizable. AOKP is the most popular rom in the Galaxy Nexus forum.

What makes it different from CM9?

Just curious, as I have yet to try a different rom on my TP, and it is currently my only Android device, so I don't haven another point of reference....

Thanks,

Dan

Upvote 0
Lots and lots of tweaks.

The status bar and lock screens can have the weather on them. The status bar is customizable and can have any toggle you want. You can tweak colors and transparency.

Is that enough to switch you or do I have to find more reasons? :D

This is out of date (still shows 4.0.3), but check it out: https://sites.google.com/site/androidopenkangproject/feature-lsit

Upvote 0
Lots and lots of tweaks.

The status bar and lock screens can have the weather on them. The status bar is customizable and can have any toggle you want. You can tweak colors and transparency.

Is that enough to switch you or do I have to find more reasons? :D

This is out of date (still shows 4.0.3), but check it out: https://sites.google.com/site/androidopenkangproject/feature-lsit

No need to sell me on it, I was just curious as to the differences.

I have two TPs, a 16G and a 32G. I used the 32G primarily, so I can "play" with the 16G. I may try flashing it with the aokp rom today for grins.

No problem flashing directly over a CM9 install, is there?

Thanks!

Dan

Upvote 0
Different roms, different bases. Not a good idea to flash dirty.

I'd recommend making a backup in recovery and Titanium Backup, then wiping data before installing. I even like to take screenshots before wiping. :D

After activating new rom, I'll open Market and stop the app downloads, then search for TIBU and TIBU pro key, install them, then open TIBU, go to menu... batch and "restore apps with data" and unselect items you don't want. Do not install anything red or green from TIBU if it's a different rom.

Reactions: lwb250
Upvote 0
18627548.jpg

Wiping data= recovery > mounts and storage menu... format data.

Wiping data means you'll get prompted for your Gmail acct/password and apps should start to install on their own. You'll lose most settings, although Google does store some of them.

So boot into recovery:

backup & restore menu: backup rom
mounts & storage menu: format data, format cache.
advanced menu: wipe dalvik cache
flash rom

Upvote 0
Updated my Nexus from 31 to 33, and radio was broken and only had a couple contacts w/ no pics (again). So I booted into recovery wiped everything and reflashed gApps. Works great.

Wiping data was recommended for each of the last couple builds. I suspect it might be needed again with my TP. Not a fan of all the work, esp having to set up 4 email accts again.

Upvote 0
I installed b34 after supper yesterday. Had to wipe data for b33 and had issues with icons crashing and still had apps that work on every other device/rom, but not with b34 so wiped data again. The problem is I forgot to flash gApps before rebooting... BIG MISTAKE if you have TWRP installed. My boot partition is full so I can't install apps from Rom Manager and sometimes it gets stuck on booting into AOPK only until I delete the mobot.next file in /boot. Don't get me wrong, TWRP, CWM and AOKP are great, there just isn't enough room for all 3 in the boot partition... one of them has to go. I just haven't done that yet.

So after wiping data, I'm stuck in AOPK without market or an app to browse boot and can't boot into anything except AOPK. I tried adb and Android Commander, but couldn't remove moboot.next or CWM. Finally I was able to copy Root Explorer from my phone and install it via Android Commander, then I was back in business. Still have to finish setting it up.

Upvote 0
Milestone 5 (stable build) is out. Had my same old issues on my Nexus with a dirty update and don't feel like wiping again.

I love this rom, but since I'd like to stick with TWRP for now (and my boot partition is full), I think I'll switch back to Eyeballer's build of CM9 for awhile again.

Upvote 0
The last 5 or so builds of AOKP (since adding 4.0.4 code) have recommended wiping. Sometimes it works with just wiping caches. CM7/9 don't seem to care.

I haven't followed the TP aokp forums much, but the Nexus forums have had to wipe a lot.

They recommend a data wipe, but on a touch pad, I haven't wiped data since 4.0.4 and it hasn't hurt at all. I think it's just hype so they are only dealing with people with real bugs. It's a freaking sweet build to miss. I'll update if wiping cache and davlik screws it up, but this is my 5th upgrade without a data wipe and no big deal. Build 32 had a couple of problems, but they turned out unrelated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones