• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX 1.2 Series for Droid X - Functionality and Performance (12/7/10)

Reactions: phobic
Upvote 0
OK, so I installed this last night...but not the way I'm "supposed" to. :D

I have the OTA 2.3.15
Had the Original ApeX with NexTheme installed, with my other mods removed.
I did not wipe data or cache
I installed 1.0.2.2 right over the top from clockwork.
Booted up no problems
I then installed NexTheme for Original Apex
Booted up no problems
I then installed my 10% Circle battery mod
and Fab's Clock Remover mod
and my Android Font Change mod
Booted up no problems and has been running for 12 hours now without issue.

This version of Apex seems to be much smoother and a bit quicker. I like!

Should I be looking for something that may be wrong? I know it's always advisable to wipe or format the data and cache, but what if I don't? What is left over that shouldn't be?

Upvote 0
Love the ROM! I do have a couple questions to ask. The red highlights on the keyboard do not visually match the orange used throughout the vanilla theme. Has anyone moded the factory keyboard for an orange color highlight instead of the red? Also, can we use any black bar mod, or will it alter the animations? Everything else works VERY WELL! Great job Fab!

Upvote 0
OK, so I installed this last night...but not the way I'm "supposed" to. :D

I have the OTA 2.3.15
Had the Original ApeX with NexTheme installed, with my other mods removed.
I did not wipe data or cache
I installed 1.0.2.2 right over the top from clockwork.
Booted up no problems
I then installed NexTheme for Original Apex
Booted up no problems
I then installed my 10% Circle battery mod
and Fab's Clock Remover mod
and my Android Font Change mod
Booted up no problems and has been running for 12 hours now without issue.

This version of Apex seems to be much smoother and a bit quicker. I like!

Should I be looking for something that may be wrong? I know it's always advisable to wipe or format the data and cache, but what if I don't? What is left over that shouldn't be?

I always just err on the side of caution, but if you're not having any issues, I wouldn't worry about it! :)

Love the ROM! I do have a couple questions to ask. The red highlights on the keyboard do not visually match the orange used throughout the vanilla theme. Has anyone moded the factory keyboard for an orange color highlight instead of the red? Also, can we use any black bar mod, or will it alter the animations? Everything else works VERY WELL! Great job Fab!

Aha, I knew someone would catch me. I do have that themed version of the multitouch keyboard that makes it look stock, but it's an older version of the apk.

I couldn't decide what to do and I ended up just going with the newer build.

I think you can extract the old LatinIME.apk from ApeX 1.0, and use the install script to put it in this version. It should work.

Also, most themes will work, they just probably won't have 10% battery increments and the apps won't match.

Reactions: mxsjw
Upvote 0
You are so incredibly helpful I hate to ask this, but can you post your older keyboard apk link? If not I will flash the older rom and try to pull it out. Again, thanks for all of the work you put into the X and the community! You rock bro!

No need to flash the old ROM, just get the file. It's just a .zip, so you can open it, navigate to /system/app and find LatinIME.apk and just drag it out of the archive :D

Upvote 0
This sounds like you're not on the leak kernel. Did you ever flash the leak to 2.3.320?

There are two versions. If your media is not working, that means you flashed the wrong version.

Through the default calendar app? I just added an event no problem...perhaps try going into applications, manage, all, and clearing calendar data and cache? Then let it resync.

Thanks Fab..Now it make sense..I was on rubixes 1.8.6 Version.2.3.20.MB810 which I guess screwed me up..but now somehow I got back to rubix 1.8.6 thru bootstrap and phone works but hangs sometimes..Now I am trying to find SBF of that new 2.3.320 leak..Is there any direction you or anyone can point me to please?

Upvote 0
Thanks Fab..Now it make sense..I was on rubixes 1.8.6 Version.2.3.20.MB810 which I guess screwed me up..but now somehow I got back to rubix 1.8.6 thru bootstrap and phone works but hangs sometimes..Now I am trying to find SBF of that new 2.3.320 leak..Is there any direction you or anyone can point me to please?

Hey, rubiX is a little deceptive in its version numbers. The best way to check what version you're really on is to check your kernel number. If it matches the one in my screenshot in the first post, download 1.2.x, if not, use 1.0.2.x

I would NOT recommend updating to the leak just to run this ROM, because the 2.3.15 based version is nearly identical.

I have one quick question, I was checking through the build.prop file to see if the market fix was there and saw this part of the line(in bold):

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/ shadow_vzw/ cmda_shadow/shadow:2.2/VZW/23.15:user/ota-rel-keys,release-keys

Shouldn't it be 2.3.15?

I copy and pasted that straight outta ApeX 1.0, which was based on a clean 2.3.15, so I'm pretty sure that's right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

Upvote 0
Hey, rubiX is a little deceptive in its version numbers. The best way to check what version you're really on is to check your kernel number. If it matches the one in my screenshot in the first post, download 1.2.x, if not, use 1.0.2.x

I would NOT recommend updating to the leak just to run this ROM, because the 2.3.15 based version is nearly identical.

I copy and pasted that straight outta ApeX 1.0, which was based on a clean 2.3.15, so I'm pretty sure that's right.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

Ok, I was just curious. I've seen in other threads (2.3.320 leak thread is one place) where they show the line to edit and say to change it to say 2.3.15. I just wanted to be sure it is correct, thanks.

Upvote 0
I got this installed this morning (using the 2.3.15 build) along with the Revolution theme, clock removal mod and circle battery icons. The install went fine, as usual, and things are running great so far. Thanks again Fab.

snap20101129_105637.png
snap20101129_105641.png

yo airmaxx23,

what clock are u running? I see that once in awhile but dunno what it is n where to get it. also, what kind of notification background is that? looks dope. thanks.

Upvote 0
yo airmaxx23,

what clock are u running? I see that once in awhile but dunno what it is n where to get it. also, what kind of notification background is that? looks dope. thanks.

It is Clockr Evolution. I used NinjaMorph to change the status bar background image. If you'd like to know how to do it let me know.

Reactions: beangrower
Upvote 0
btw fab,

jus putting this out there. i installed the revo theme and my gmail app started to fc on me. so i nandroid back to the original theme. downloading the update right now. jus wondering...does the black bar mod alter the animations? I know installing different themes does...but how much just the black bar mod?

may not be related but I had my gmail fc on me when doing some stuff with 928droid's themes, all I had to do was go to the market and install gmail off the market and it was fixed.

Easy as pie! I pulled the black keyboard from 1.0 and it appears to work perfect! I really like the look WITHOUT the red highlights.

so Apex 1.0 had a black multitouch keyboard? if so I'm defiantly going to have to grab that apk from it

Upvote 0
Im sorry , but Im having problems installing some Blur apps back in to the ROM Im runing V1_0_2_2. I have the .apk's files in my sd card but is not installing them, for example Im trying to install the blur alarm clock an isnt working, it worked on the previous version same with the Blur messaging app, but when I upgrade to V1_0_2_2 those 2 are no longer in my phone and i cant install them again for some reason, :(

Upvote 0
Im sorry , but Im having problems installing some Blur apps back in to the ROM Im runing V1_0_2_2. I have the .apk's files in my sd card but is not installing them, for example Im trying to install the blur alarm clock an isnt working, it worked on the previous version same with the Blur messaging app, but when I upgrade to V1_0_2_2 those 2 are no longer in my phone and i cant install them again for some reason, :(

can we see what your typing into terminal emulator? I was able to grab the blur alarm apk off of the zip in the first post here and it installed with no problem...

Reactions: Batbriel
Upvote 0
btw fab,

jus putting this out there. i installed the revo theme and my gmail app started to fc on me. so i nandroid back to the original theme. downloading the update right now. jus wondering...does the black bar mod alter the animations? I know installing different themes does...but how much just the black bar mod?

Yeah Gmail FC probably because that theme was using an older version.

As for just using the bar mod, it'll still kill the animations, as they're stored in the framework-res.apk file.

may not be related but I had my gmail fc on me when doing some stuff with 928droid's themes, all I had to do was go to the market and install gmail off the market and it was fixed.

so Apex 1.0 had a black multitouch keyboard? if so I'm defiantly going to have to grab that apk from it

It had a black MT keyboard and a black Swype. :D

Upvote 0

Hey, the Blur alarm clock is easily enabled using the following script:

su
alarm -mot

As for the other Blur apps, please be very certain they are on the root of your sdcard (not in any directories) and you are using correct capitalization (matters a lot in Linux!)

Reactions: Batbriel
Upvote 0
can we see what your typing into terminal emulator? I was able to grab the blur alarm apk off of the zip in the first post here and it installed with no problem...

ok

su
# install BlurAlarmClock.apk

I just reboot my phone and the alarm clock is there
on the previous version i just need it to type like
install alarm
and it will give me the option to chose form
-aosp
-mot
or something like that but i don't see that on this version,
Maybe I just need to play around with the terminal emulator a little bit more:eek:

ok never mind !!! got it,, sorry guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones