• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Basic Debloat - YES, FOR REAL!

Well, for most folks that were rooting, the new process is more complex, so not much bam except for the more hard core rooters.

Ain't nuthin' sacred anymore?? This used to be the one-leg up on Motorola devices, but seems times are a changin'.

HTC Thunderbolt rooted for real, locked files nearly soured the deal -- Engadget

Yeah it does suck to see that HTC is shifting to the "dark" side lol. But it also seems like Motorola may be coming out of it....unlocking bootloaders and stuff... We'll see what happens, they have 4 devices coming up for Verizon... Bionic, Droid 3, Droid X 2, and I believe it's called Targa....As for now....Thunderbolt!!!!

Upvote 0
Yeah it does suck to see that HTC is shifting to the "dark" side lol. But it also seems like Motorola may be coming out of it....unlocking bootloaders and stuff... We'll see what happens, they have 4 devices coming up for Verizon... Bionic, Droid 3, Droid X 2, and I believe it's called Targa....As for now....Thunderbolt!!!!

I am not sure why everyone is saying that? Atrix seems to be locked down, no reason to believe the phones coming up wont be. The Xoom was stock Android and a google experience phone. I don't see the rest being that way.

Upvote 0
I am not sure why everyone is saying that? Atrix seems to be locked down, no reason to believe the phones coming up wont be. The Xoom was stock Android and a google experience phone. I don't see the rest being that way.

Probably so, but At&t are infamous for being jerks with Android devices. A downer, what HTC has done with the TB, none the less.

Heck, I would be happy just with root, so I can use just Setcpu, Titanium BU and Wifi Tether. Also purge some bloatware.

I would be fine with the current rom- with root.

Upvote 0
Yeah sucks what HTC is trying to do, but it seriously isn't that bad, took all but a day for the Devs to get this thing rooted and custom recovery, then within two days they released it. That is freaking awesome!!!!

Custom roms are here and coming, nothing like Moto yet, but I could see it getting worse.

Upvote 0
Yeah sucks what HTC is trying to do, but it seriously isn't that bad, took all but a day for the Devs to get this thing rooted and custom recovery, then within two days they released it. That is freaking awesome!!!!

Custom roms are here and coming, nothing like Moto yet, but I could see it getting worse.

Yup things will keep getting harder and harder to hack as more updates and new phones come out.

Upvote 0
Ain't nuthin' sacred anymore?? This used to be the one-leg up on Motorola devices, but seems times are a changin'.

HTC Thunderbolt rooted for real, locked files nearly soured the deal -- Engadget

well, while everything was locked down and signed, they were not encrypted. most devices come with locked bootloaders,just some are easier to unlock ;) while it took em a couple days to get to it,it did only take a couple days. how long has the x been out? its only very recently that a way was found to access its encrypted bootloader. 2 or 3 days is much better than months ;) still to this day,i dont believe folks are able to change kernals on the X or d2 because of the encrypted bootloader.

maybe HTC is heading that way,but i hope not. long as i can get my TB to have S-OFF ill be happy for now. i wont knowingly ever purchase a phone with a bootloader than cant be unlocked.

i guess well have to wait and see what happens with devices in the future,but i hope they dont go that way... i like to think htc is more developer friendly than that.

Upvote 0
well, while everything was locked down and signed, they were not encrypted. most devices come with locked bootloaders,just some are easier to unlock ;) while it took em a couple days to get to it,it did only take a couple days. how long has the x been out? its only very recently that a way was found to access its encrypted bootloader. 2 or 3 days is much better than months ;) still i dont believe folks are able to change kernals on the X or d2 because of the encrypted bootloader.

maybe HTC is heading that way,but i hope not. long as i can get my TB to have S-OFF ill be happy for now. i wont knowingly ever purchase a phone with a bootloader than cant be unlocked.

i guess well have to wait and see what happens with devices in the future,but i hope they dont go that way... i like to think htc is more developer friendly than that.

Point seems if the community can not make the device as basic to root as the Incredible and similar devices, HTC is no longer the "root friendly" devices everybody hangs their hat on as to why HTC devices are better.

The current process is complex (for most) and falls back on an earlier, less stable FW base.

Upvote 0
Point seems if the community can not make the device as basic to root as the Incredible and similar devices, HTC is no longer the "root friendly" devices everybody hangs their hat on as to why HTC devices are better.

The current process is complex (for most) and falls back on an earlier, less stable FW base.

right. i agree with what youre saying. however,im still bein optimistic... it just came out on thursday,so just because there are not 1 click root apps yet,doesnt mean that there wont be. how long after the release of the evo or incredible did unrevoked release their root?

while it may change in the future,we DO have access to the bootloader(tho the means are a lil complex for most of us at this point) so the TB is not in the same boat as the bionic,wich will be a year or more to crack if its anything like the x.

Upvote 0
I thought it took some time for the Incredible to even have root, maybe I am wrong.

You are right. It then took even longer for root that worked for everybody. The first was a race condition that was not totally understood IIRC, and some people could not get it to work due to their SD card speeds or a plethora of other reasons. Then unrEVOked came with 1 click. I think people here are being a bit hard on HTC. The fact that root was so quick to come is a sign they are not changing much. 1 click root is not so much a problem with HTC but with devs not having the time to have it ready the second the phone comes out. Most devs do have other, paying, obligations, you know.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
You are right. It then took even longer for root that worked for everybody. The first was a race condition that was not totally understood IIRC, and some people could not get it to work due to their SD card speeds or a plethora of other reasons. Then unrEVOked came with 1 click. I think people here are being a bit hard on HTC. The fact that root was so quick to come is a sign they are not changing much. 1 click root is not so much a problem with HTC but with devs not having the time to have it ready the second the phone comes out. Most devs do have other, paying, obligations, you know.

-Nkk

Couldn't agree more with everything you just said. I have faith that unrevoked will eventually get a working one click for all us non tech savvy folks

Upvote 0

-Nkk
Too bad they could not put it on the market, that way they get paid accordingly. I always donate for whatever cause I'm supporting but maybe that way they will get rewarded for there hard work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones