• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][Beta][FINAL] CM7 Android For Triumph [Tickerguy Edition, Kernel: mine] 11/19

A tickerguy are custom ringtones for contacts working
My answer from the FIRST post:
If it's not listed as working or broken below then that particular feature has likely not been tested at all. This code has very little runtime on it at present and is under constant revision and development. You're getting a peek at the code in a state where I would normally never let anyone see it simply due to lack of testing and documentation - please keep that in mind.

Reactions: oldpot
Upvote 0
Great work thus far. Unfortunately for me data dies after a short while. I have to reboot in order to use it again. I really really really want to keep using this as everything else works great for me (things I use) but I have to go back to stock for now because I need constant data connection for work :(

Try enabling and disabling airplane mode, when mine switches to 1x and won't go back to 3g I just do that and I get 3g again.

Upvote 0
Go over to the market and get the Battery Monitor Widget. It has a "hidden" menu that will allow you to toggle EvDo only. BE CAREFUL USING THIS - I've not tested it at all, but it SHOULD work. Well, in theory.

I've had no problems with data drops; it's much more stable for me than the stock one was where I had to turn off and on data on occasion to get it to come back.

Be aware that Virgin is having intermittent problems with data this weekend nationally. I know it's not the code as my kid's Optimus V that has stock firmware on it went dead several times yesterday as well.. at the same time mine did.

Upvote 0
My experience with debugging in an android environment is zip, zero and nada. I'm doing this the same way I approach anything else I don't have a good handle on the environment with - bash the shit out of the code and drop logs everywhere plus look for any errors in the existing system logs and trace down where they're coming from, then fix it.

Oh by the way the Android development documentation is effectively non-existent and a fair bit of what's out there is wrong. That makes it a lot of fun too. For example, the light sensor hack I put in to fix the automatic brightness can PROBABLY be done with a state table define in the original code. It certainly appears that way from examination. However, looking through the code I see no evidence of where the hell I'm supposed to place that state table, so instead of spending hours upon hours of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole I took the "easy" way out, cased the routine through a build property and wrote 20 lines of code to "just do it", leaving a nastygram of comments in the code where I made the changes.

If this winds up making my port a one-off then so be it; the git repo is public and if anyone wants it, they do. If not they can bite me - the device will work and that's all I really care about.

Reactions: Rezanow and pre
Upvote 0
My experience with debugging in an android environment is zip, zero and nada. I'm doing this the same way I approach anything else I don't have a good handle on the environment with - bash the shit out of the code and drop logs everywhere plus look for any errors in the existing system logs and trace down where they're coming from, then fix it.

Oh by the way the Android development documentation is effectively non-existent and a fair bit of what's out there is wrong. That makes it a lot of fun too. For example, the light sensor hack I put in to fix the automatic brightness can PROBABLY be done with a state table define in the original code. It certainly appears that way from examination. However, looking through the code I see no evidence of where the hell I'm supposed to place that state table, so instead of spending hours upon hours of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole I took the "easy" way out, cased the routine through a build property and wrote 20 lines of code to "just do it", leaving a nastygram of comments in the code where I made the changes.

If this winds up making my port a one-off then so be it; the git repo is public and if anyone wants it, they do. If not they can bite me - the device will work and that's all I really care about.
Haha, you're awesome. When all else fails just build it yourself. I've done this several times in many aspects of my job.

Upvote 0
For me, the phone only wakes up from sleep if wifi is not on. With wifi on even if I sleep it myself it still stays locked and have to remove the battery to restart.

Tickerguy.......I played around with this information a bit to see if it behaved the same for me. I can say that it does. Only when the WiFi is one will the phone not come out of sleep. I tried it as well with the WiFi sleep policy set to never sleep, and that did not make a difference. When WiFi is one, and the phone sleeps.....it's done. With no Wifi on, I can let the phone go to sleep by itself or by the power button and it will wake up without issue.

Upvote 0
Bryan, yes. Confirmed - sleep policy does nothing, but if Wifi is off it works fine.
Wired headset is fixed. Yet another oddball device thing - not hard to fix once I figured out what the hell was going on.

GPS and MMS are the two outliers that I have to have for it to be a "daily driver", at which point I'm going to call it an "alpha" and start versioning.

Upvote 0
I suspect so, given that you're the only one reporting it won't boot. Either you have a bad copy (which should be caught by Clockwork since it has a checksum on it) or you're not doing the two wipes that are necessary.

It's possible something else is going on but there's nobody else saying it won't load, and there were over 100 downloads of the last build within a few hours.

Prog, that is entirely impractical given the size of the repository involved. If you didn't have a copy when kernel.org blew up there isn't much you can do other than wait.

Upvote 0
Go over to the market and get the Battery Monitor Widget. It has a "hidden" menu that will allow you to toggle EvDo only. BE CAREFUL USING THIS - I've not tested it at all, but it SHOULD work. Well, in theory.

I've had no problems with data drops; it's much more stable for me than the stock one was where I had to turn off and on data on occasion to get it to come back.

Be aware that Virgin is having intermittent problems with data this weekend nationally. I know it's not the code as my kid's Optimus V that has stock firmware on it went dead several times yesterday as well.. at the same time mine did.
Does the free version have this "hidden" menu? If so, how do I access it?

Upvote 0
Bryan, yes. Confirmed - sleep policy does nothing, but if Wifi is off it works fine.
Wired headset is fixed. Yet another oddball device thing - not hard to fix once I figured out what the hell was going on.

GPS and MMS are the two outliers that I have to have for it to be a "daily driver", at which point I'm going to call it an "alpha" and start versioning.

This is the point I am waiting for as well, TickerGuy, what can I say? you have been knocking down these issues left and right like a prize fighter :) I am guessing that by this time next week we will be at this point (no pressure ;) )

Upvote 0
GPS is going to be a bitch as the trace data is simply absent, so I'm going to have to drop a few hundred log calls all over the place. It's coming back with all zeros for the position which tells me exactly nothing.

MMS, on the other hand, I have a template for and I know where the changes have to go. That one shouldn't be too hard.

I'm unimpressed with the bluetooth bug and it's a big deal to me since I use a headset all the time. That one I have to find; the backing store is not being written to and it's not logging errors either. That code is an unholy mess to understand as well - I've looked but that's about all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones