• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE Max Stock B05 4.1.2 Deodexed and Unmodified

SuperR

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2010
Invisible
DISCLAIMER: By using this rom, you agree that you are the only one responsible for anything good or bad that may occur. I do not own this device and these ROM's are UNTESTED by me. Use at your own risk.;)

For Boost Mobile ZTE Max N9520 only.

This is Stock B05 JB 4.1.2 deodexed and debloated with root.
stormer_stock_B05_deodexed_root_5.zip

List of removed files and download link (click "Show" below):
/system/app/Books.apk
/system/app/BoostZone.apk
/system/app/ChromeWithBrowser.apk
/system/app/ConnectionsOptimizer.apk
/system/app/Magazines.apk
/system/app/moffice.apk
/system/app/Music2.apk
/system/app/PhotoEditor.apk
/system/app/PlayGames.apk
/system/app/PlusOne.apk
/system/app/SmartDeviceManager.apk
/system/app/SprintID.apk
/system/app/SprintInstaller.apk
/system/app/Swype.apk
/system/app/talkback.apk
/system/app/Timer.apk
/system/app/Toolbar.apk
/system/app/TouchPal.apk
/system/app/Videos.apk
/system/app/WeatherClock.apk
/system/app/WiFiShare.apk
/system/app/WorldTime.apk
/system/app/YouTube.apk
/system/app/ZteNote.apk
/system/lib/libchromeview.so
/system/lib/libgames_rtmp_jni.so
/system/lib/libSwypeCore.so
/system/media/bootanimation_sprint.zip
/system/media/bootanimation_virgin.zip
/system/media/video/AndroidInSpace.240p.mp4
/system/media/video/AndroidInSpace.480p.mp4
/system/media/video/Sunset.240p.mp4
/system/media/video/Sunset.480p.mp4

DOWNLOAD:
NOT_FLASHABLE_stormer_B05_removed_files.zip
This is Stock B05 JB 4.1.2 with root.
stormer_stock_B05_root.zip

This is Unmodified Stock B05 JB 4.1.2.
stormer_stock_B05.zip

This is Stock B05 Recovery.
stormer_stock_B05_recovery.zip

NOTE: This zip is unsigned so you will need to disable signature verification in CWM/Philz before flashing.

NOTE2: Your device must have CWM/PhilZ to flash ROMs.

Flash in CWM/PhilZ as follows:
  1. Download ROM
  2. Put the ROM.zip on your sdcard if not already
  3. Reboot to CWM Recovery
  4. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Wipe data/Factoy reset
  6. Install ROM.zip from sdcard
  7. Reboot
  8. Enjoy!

Other Downloads:
ZTE Official Stock ROM

Thanks to:
Odin89 - Uploaded system backup
bzo22 - uploaded boot.img and made efforts to help
Twizted6789 - made efforts to help

In addition to the deodexed rom currently posted, I will also be making unmodified b05 and unmodified b05 with root. It would be great to get some feedback on the deodexed rom before going any further. It is the smallest upload/download so I would like to iron out the kinks with it first.

Please test audio while playing mp3's. Similar devices have had some issues with it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Flashing now :)

Edit: ok so good news bad news. Bad news is the rom flashed but did not load on reboot. Both from internal and ext install. Looking for other things to flash to test if its the cwm or the rom. When i flash aromafm it launches, lookin into it. The good news... the non removeable battery poses no threat!!!!! Bricked up on 4g logo so i started testing button combos. Vol down + power reboots the phon!! Awesome awesome. Also recovery did its job well.

Upvote 0

Edit: ok so good news bad news. Bad news is the rom flashed but did not load on reboot. Both from internal and ext install. Looking for other things to flash to test if its the cwm or the rom. When i flash aromafm it launches, lookin into it. The good news... the non removeable battery poses no threat!!!!! Bricked up on 4g logo so i started testing button combos. Vol down + power reboots the phon!! Awesome awesome. Also recovery did its job well.

Thanks for posting. Unless there is something very different about this device than all other zte's, the rom should boot. Gonna wait to hear from cooldudezach before I go tearing things apart.

Reactions: mkhursh
Upvote 0

I've got a few questions:
1) Did it give any errors while installing?
2) Did it actually reboot during installation?
3) Have you tried formatting /system and /boot before attempting to install the zip?
4) Did you check the md5sum of the zip after downloading it as well as after copying it to the device?
5) Did you try adb sideload to install it?

Reactions: SuperR
Upvote 0
I've got a few questions:
1) Did it give any errors while installing?
2) Did it actually reboot during installation?
3) Have you tried formatting /system and /boot before attempting to install the zip?
4) Did you check the md5sum of the zip after downloading it as well as after copying it to the device?
5) Did you try adb sideload to install it?

I too have tried to install same result hangs at boot animation ive tried wiping everything and reinstalling even downloaded it again and still the same
It gave no errors said it was successful md5 is a match heres my logcat https://www.dropbox.com/s/z15r701lgmo341q/logcat.txt

Reactions: cooldudezach
Upvote 0
I too have tried to install same result hangs at boot animation ive tried wiping everything and reinstalling even downloaded it again and still the same
It gave no errors said it was successful md5 is a match heres my logcat https://www.dropbox.com/s/z15r701lgmo341q/logcat.txt
Thanks for that. SuperR, here's what I think is the problem:
Code:
E/Zygote  ( 5386): Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load librar y: link_image[1891]:  5386 could not load needed library 'libstagefright.so' for  'libmedia_jni.so' (link_image[1891]:  5386 could not load needed library 'libch romium_net.so' for 'libstagefright.so' (load_library[1093]: Library 'libchromium _net.so' not found))

So something is probably up with the symlinks, permissions, or something

Reactions: SuperR
Upvote 0
Thanks for that. SuperR, here's what I think is the problem:
Code:
E/Zygote  ( 5386): Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load librar y: link_image[1891]:  5386 could not load needed library 'libstagefright.so' for  'libmedia_jni.so' (link_image[1891]:  5386 could not load needed library 'libch romium_net.so' for 'libstagefright.so' (load_library[1093]: Library 'libchromium _net.so' not found))

So something is probably up with the symlinks, permissions, or something

premissions dont really matter, cuz "on copy" during install it should have at the LEAST r--r--r-- permissions. is the lib actually there?
libchromeview.so is not there. It is the lib for chrome browser and I removed that too. I just made a flashable that adds it back. If someone could flash the rom then this file we can see if it solves the problem. Thanks

stormer_chrome_installer.zip

Upvote 0
Downloading now

Edit: wiped everything, installed from ext sd. Rom flash successful. Flashed the chrome installer and got this error

Set_perm: some changes failed
E: Error in /storage/sdcard/stormer_chrome_installer.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

My bad, sorry about that. Damn typos. I also switched update-binaries to hopefully be more compatible with PhilZ recovery.

stormer_chrome_installer_2.zip

Upvote 0
Super r after the rom didn't boot. I used my backup to restore every thing was fine and dandy so I thought. I noticed when someone calls and I answer they can't hear me on the other end. But if I call someone everything works fine. Just trying to see if it's a hard ware issue before my warranty is up

It could be hardware since you are using the factory rom. It could also be something you modified causing issues. Once I get this thing booting it could help you if it is a modification problem.

edit: I have a new rom uploading. Updated the binary and made some edits. Should be up in about 12 minutes.

Upvote 0
Super r after the rom didn't boot. I used my backup to restore every thing was fine and dandy so I thought. I noticed when someone calls and I answer they can't hear me on the other end. But if I call someone everything works fine. Just trying to see if it's a hard ware issue before my warranty is up

Im not having this issue btw

Upvote 0
could someone upload their boot.img from a PhilZ backup of a working device? I want to see if the boot.img i am using is bad. Alternatively, If you have some know-how you can swap the new boot.img with the one in the rom zip. You can use something like 7-zip if you are in windows. If that works please upload the new boot.img. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones