• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] [ROM] BLUE STEEL v2.0.777--777 Kernel + TouchNav, all versions, all setups [ROM]

I suggested it, because it works. The issue is, I left at the fact that link2sd also overwrites the install-recovery.sh in my original post on this thread when I found the fix. My bad.

So the original from stayboogy's rom has to be restored. Should be install-recovery.sh.bak. When he flashed your update.zip file it restored it for him. Which is why it's working now. He'll have to go back into init.d and rename the scripts again. Else he'll randomly suffer from boot loops causing data loss. I've suffer that fate many times before I learned.

Renamed scripts in init.d works rather simple. 00foobar will run before 11foobar. As will Afoobar will be ran before Bfoobar. Goes in order of script name numeric and alphabetic. Stayboogy's mover script HAS to be ran first. Else link2Sd's init.d script ***** something up.

Yeah, that was what I meant by renaming the scripts. Guess I should have clarified lol.

Anyway, as I said, I have enough internal space for the time being so I'm not too concerned right now. If/when I start getting low I will probably give link2sd another shot. Thanks for your help!

Aside from the link2d issue, this really is a very cool ROM. I've noticed that everything runs much smoother and faster than before. Two thumbs up!

Oh and btw, I'm a "she" ;)

Upvote 0
Quick question. What are the differences between the ext and vfat versions?
It depends on if you have partitioned your SD card to have an ext partition. If you haven't partitioned it, it doesn't matter which version you download. If you have, Choose the version you partitioned your card as.

Installed rom via cwm now phone shows pinkish power symbol on screen and wont boot. adb doesnt recognize and wont boot into recovery. any ideas???
Bad install, Follow what I already walked another user through:
http://androidforums.com/merit-all-...-all-versions-all-setups-rom.html#post5649810

Upvote 0
How am i supposed to open terminal if the phone wont even boot? ADB on the computer doesnt even recognize it or else I'dve flashed it that way. Can't get the phone to do anything let alone open the terminal app. Any other ideas? Is it bricked?

adb doesn't have anything to do with any5thing when it comes to installing this rom

what are you doing????

here's what you probably did:

1) didn't wipe your data like the directions say to do explicitly

2) you downloaded the rom with your phone--which should not be done because it leads to corrupted files

3) you had a bad download

redownload the file using a pc

transfer to your sdcard

reboot into recovery

wipe userdata

reinstall the rom

reboot the phone

you don't have to use adb to flash a recovery

you can install it from recovery and then reboot into the new recovery from the old

just download the update.zip from the same thread that was linked to above.

Upvote 0
It depends on if you have partitioned your SD card to have an ext partition. If you haven't partitioned it, it doesn't matter which version you download. If you have, Choose the version you partitioned your card as.

Thanks for the info. Now if I used the TochNav v1.3 to partition my card, what does it format as? I'm assuming ext since fat is a winblows thing. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
adb doesn't have anything to do with any5thing when it comes to installing this rom

what are you doing????

here's what you probably did:

1) didn't wipe your data like the directions say to do explicitly

2) you downloaded the rom with your phone--which should not be done because it leads to corrupted files

3) you had a bad download

redownload the file using a pc

transfer to your sdcard

reboot into recovery

wipe userdata

reinstall the rom

reboot the phone

you don't have to use adb to flash a recovery

you can install it from recovery and then reboot into the new recovery from the old

just download the update.zip from the same thread that was linked to above.

Oh but I did download the file on a laptop, I did transfer the file via usb, I did wipe user data and cache before installing and I did not (as far as I know) have a bad download. If I could reboot the phone into recovery I wouldn't be asking for help. I hold the buttons down to reboot into recovery and it acts like I've done nothing at all. It just freezes up at the boot logo and does nothing. I left it on all night to see if it would boot. Nada, tried to use ADB, computer doesn't even recognize the phone at all, says device malfunctioned. Not sure there's anything I can do at this point. This isn't the first device I've ever flashed, I've done this a million times, but for some reason this didn't take and it doesn't allow me to boot into recovery to fix the problem.

Upvote 0
Oh but I did download the file on a laptop, I did transfer the file via usb, I did wipe user data and cache before installing and I did not (as far as I know) have a bad download. If I could reboot the phone into recovery I wouldn't be asking for help. I hold the buttons down to reboot into recovery and it acts like I've done nothing at all. It just freezes up at the boot logo and does nothing. I left it on all night to see if it would boot. Nada, tried to use ADB, computer doesn't even recognize the phone at all, says device malfunctioned. Not sure there's anything I can do at this point. This isn't the first device I've ever flashed, I've done this a million times, but for some reason this didn't take and it doesn't allow me to boot into recovery to fix the problem.

I'm no developer but it seems to me like it is officially bricked. If you can't get into recovery and adb itself doesn't recognize it, it is probably gone. I hate it for you though. I just had to replace one myself and it's never fun.

The good news is, the Net10 ZTE Z990G Merit has dropped in price at Dollar General. It was priced at a cold $99.99 USD and has now been reduced to $79.99 USD as of last night (04/07/13).

As for the phone in question, like I said, I'm no expert but it truly sounds like an expensive paper weight to me. Sorry :(

Reactions: yesindeed
Upvote 0
I just got the replacement phone today. Which version of the ROM should I use. Is there a particular version of the phone that is not compatible with either ROM or would either one (vfat or ext) work with the phone no matter what? I am going to try and use the stock recovery to flash this as it states in the first post that this is possible. Hope it works this time. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
I just got the replacement phone today. Which version of the ROM should I use. Is there a particular version of the phone that is not compatible with either ROM or would either one (vfat or ext) work with the phone no matter what? I am going to try and use the stock recovery to flash this as it states in the first post that this is possible. Hope it works this time. Thanks guys.

either version will work on either device, whether the merit by ST or Net10, or the Avail by ATT

ext is for sd extended partitions formatted ext3

vfat is for sd extended partitions formatted fat/fat32

either version will work if you do not have an sdcard extended partition

yes, as long as it is renamed "update.zip" the rom will install in stock recovery

DO NOT DOWNLOAD USING YOUR PHONE

VERIFY THE HASH MATCHES THIS ONE BEFORE YOU TRY INSTALLING IT

A91E1B9B245273EC5643625D52E7300E

WIPE YOUR DATA / DO COMPLETE FACTORY RESET BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE ROM

if it takes only a second to install then something went wrong. it should take about 10 to 20 seconds to install completely. if it only takes a second or two then you need to install it a second time before rebooting your phone to verify that it gets installed completely

i don't know what happened the last time you tried it but i do know for a fact that NOTHING IS WRONG with files i've posted. i've installed them dozens of times without fail.

Reactions: bearboman
Upvote 0
I didn't think anything was wrong with your files... I assumed it was an Enduser problem (i.e. me) just was wondering if anyone else had encountered and hopefully fixed that issue I had. How do I check the Hash? Where would I find that information?

download a hash calculator

if using windows download hashtab and it places a hash calculator tab in the properties dialogue when you right click on any file. best tool for hashes in my opinion

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones