• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM ]--CHARITY--Smoked Glass Themed Version 11 !! Froyo 2.2.1 FRG83D

Help! I put this on my sd card and labeled it update then used rom manager to apply rom from sd card. After that I went to clockworkmod and selected apply update.zip. Now my phone goes to the red eye and then just keeps rebooting. What should I do?

Ok I fixed it. I restarted while holding the X button and did a factory reset then reinstalled the rom and it worked. Phew! Thought I bricked my phone there for a moment.

For my phone and my friends phone coming from other roms this seems to be the solution you need to do a wipe unless you are just updating from a previous version. And then it seems to be recommended still.

Upvote 0
For my phone and my friends phone coming from other roms this seems to be the solution you need to do a wipe unless you are just updating from a previous version. And then it seems to be recommended still.

Well what happened is my phone with v10 broke so I got a re-manufactured one in the the mail and rooted that phone with the DOS method.

I applied v11 to that then used titanium backup to restore my apps. It seems every time I restore SetCPU my phone bugs out and then I have to do a factory wipe to get it working again. I'm not sure if my issue is my setCPU setting or the included kernal. I tried using ROM Manager to get a different Chevykernal but it says there's an error when I try to look at them. Anyone use any other kernels that work? I want to install a different one with possibly a lower speed or higher voltage. What are some non-chevy kernals you guys have used?

Upvote 0
That would be a correct assumption, the SDK is not the same thing as the source though.

A ROM gets built when the source is released. it has not been yet. google usually releases the source a few weeks after sdk. If i had to pin a date for new ROM, a complete guess would be around Christmas.

In the meantime, how many people are actually having trouble with WiFi, please respond if you are having NO problems as well, I want to get a feel for this...

I flashed this rom last week after spending a month or so on MIUI. I Wiped prior to installing and am running the stock kernel. This ROM is, by far, the best ROM I have used to date (started flashing my D1 in July 2010). I have used BB,Lithium, Miui, SteelDroid, and this one. I have loved the battery life and no hassle smooth running nature of this rom. I have not run into any problems, after a week.
Getting to the point, I turned on my wifi and it aquired my wifi home network after turning it on and off a couple times. I am not so quick to blame the rom, since I am running a motorola surfboard modem/wifi combo unit. Once I aquired the network, I ran a speed test and got 6.7down/1.9 up. Seems to be working for me.
I also connected my computer to my phone via wireless tethering and that seems to be working as advertised, as well. Hope this helps

Reactions: dew912
Upvote 0
I flashed this rom last week after spending a month or so on MIUI. I Wiped prior to installing and am running the stock kernel. This ROM is, by far, the best ROM I have used to date (started flashing my D1 in July 2010). I have used BB,Lithium, Miui, SteelDroid, and this one. I have loved the battery life and no hassle smooth running nature of this rom. I have not run into any problems, after a week.
Getting to the point, I turned on my wifi and it aquired my wifi home network after turning it on and off a couple times. I am not so quick to blame the rom, since I am running a motorola surfboard modem/wifi combo unit. Once I aquired the network, I ran a speed test and got 6.7down/1.9 up. Seems to be working for me.
I also connected my computer to my phone via wireless tethering and that seems to be working as advertised, as well. Hope this helps

try turning wifi on then reboot thats when mine dies out but I found out if I cycle wifi it comes back

Upvote 0
Uploading new version. Will post link momentarily
Here's the changelog

sg111-update.zip (version 11.1)

Fixed Wifi glitch (reverted to chevy interactive kernel 1100mhz LV dates 9/23)
Fixed Camera glitch (I was never able to replicate the problem, but i did something that will in all likeliness fix it if you have ever had an issue)
Added Gingerbread keyboard
New version of Gmail
New version of Youtube
New version of Pandora
New version of VoiceSearch

Upvote 0
Here's the changelog

Fixed Camera glitch (I was never able to replicate the problem, but i did something that will in all likeliness fix it if you have ever had an issue)
New version of Gmail
New version of Youtube
New version of Pandora

Downloading and flashing now. I went back to using v10 after getting tired of UD2.3 and it's issues. Had good luck using ADW.Launcher on v10 rather than Launcher Pro. Will test the new version. Hoping for the best!

Upvote 0
Here's the changelog

New version of Gmail
New version of Youtube
New version of Pandora

Given all of my existing WiFi issues on Charity v11.0, dew, do you think I should do a full wipe before applying 11.1 over existing? Also getting ready to flash, and THANK YOU for trying to help those of us who are experiencing WiFi issues! :D

Upvote 0
Here's the changelog

New version of Gmail
New version of Youtube
New version of Pandora
Haven't had any of the issues but that you again for this great ROM!!

Upvote 0
Given all of my existing WiFi issues on Charity v11.0, dew, do you think I should do a full wipe before applying 11.1 over existing? Also getting ready to flash, and THANK YOU for trying to help those of us who are experiencing WiFi issues! :D

I would. I do every time I flash a ROM. It doesn't take me more than an hour to set everything back up.

Dan, I flashed this last night and set everything back up before bed. First thing I tried was to connect to Wi-Fi, and it did it on the first try. Rebooted the phone, and now it won't connect. It sees my router, but it just keeps trying to obtain it's IP address and then goes back to scanning. Maybe it's my cheesy router, I don't know. I have problems with it occasionally, too. Everything else is running great, though!

Upvote 0
I would. I do every time I flash a ROM. It doesn't take me more than an hour to set everything back up.

Dan, I flashed this last night and set everything back up before bed. First thing I tried was to connect to Wi-Fi, and it did it on the first try. Rebooted the phone, and now it won't connect. It sees my router, but it just keeps trying to obtain it's IP address and then goes back to scanning. Maybe it's my cheesy router, I don't know. I have problems with it occasionally, too. Everything else is running great, though!

I am having the same problem. I connected right away, rebooted and now it just keeps trying to obtain ip address. I didn't have any wifi issues with the previous version. I also tried a different kernel from slayher and had the same problem. Going to try to wipe and see what happens.

I did a full wipe and install, wifi worked again until I rebooted. I tried 4 different kernels form chevy and slayher and none of them got the wifi to work.

went back to previous version and wifi worked.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem. I connected right away, rebooted and now it just keeps trying to obtain ip address. I didn't have any wifi issues with the previous version. I also tried a different kernel from slayher and had the same problem. Going to try to wipe and see what happens.

I haven't experienced any WiFi issues using Chevy's 2.6.32-ulow-1.1Ghz kernel and CHARITY 11.0

Upvote 0
Here's the changelog

New version of Gmail
New version of Youtube
New version of Pandora

WiFi issues across the board seem to have gone away for now, dew -- and just HOW do you make this ROM get faster and faster with every release? Seriously, I run the interactive setting in SetCPU at 800 (per your recommendation) and my Droid goes at WARP SPEED, with the only slight hesitation coming when I leave programs and go back into Launcher Pro. I don't know what magic you're working, but there simply isn't any other ROM worth running full-time on a rooted original Droid. Thank you again, and ROCK ON, my friend -- think it's finally time to donate to this most worthy of ROMs... :)

Reactions: dew912
Upvote 0
WiFi issues across the board seem to have gone away for now, dew -- and just HOW do you make this ROM get faster and faster with every release? Seriously, I run the interactive setting in SetCPU at 800 (per your recommendation) and my Droid goes at WARP SPEED, with the only slight hesitation coming when I leave programs and go back into Launcher Pro. I don't know what magic you're working, but there simply isn't any other ROM worth running full-time on a rooted original Droid. Thank you again, and ROCK ON, my friend -- think it's finally time to donate to this most worthy of ROMs... :)

to get rid of the hesitation try the redraw fix from above.

Upvote 0
so i saw on the list on features "Minimum Brightness Hack" im personally not a fan of this, i prefer just using autobrightness. is there any way to disable that? otherwise great rom. love it

There was a file dew made that you could push on to your phone in previous version but I don't know if it will for this one. It was called framework-res.apk

I have it if you can find out if it will work.

Upvote 0
Sub'd. Just finished installing this, I'll get back with some feedback asap! I'm pumped for this. some details already.

-switching from bbv4 and chevy lv 1-1.2
-wiped everything
-we'll see what happens!

So far the market has just found all my downloads and is reinstalling them.
Seems stable for the first five minutes, first boot was nice, didn't take forever.

Upvote 0
so i saw on the list on features "Minimum Brightness Hack" im personally not a fan of this, i prefer just using autobrightness. is there any way to disable that? otherwise great rom. love it

you can still use auto brightness but dew lowered the lowest brightness a lot, too dark for me. he posted a method in the 2nd page (about half way down) of the v10 thread that expalins how to make the minimum brightness level back to stock or anywhere in between his level and the stock level.

Direct link to the post

Reactions: gmilliken
Upvote 0
so first off i wanna say, great rom, love the fairly stock experience with a great theme, but one problem im having is my ongoing notifications that have black text in the notification pulldown menu (i.e. weatherbug and tasker) are nearly impossible to read since the shade is grey. i love the grey and green theme, wouldnt want it to change, but the notifications are little bit of a problem. thanks for the work on this!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones