ROM Choices - Good time to be a Droid owner

Last Updated:

1. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, there are so many solid FRG22D based ROMS out / coming out in the past few weeks. It's a good time to be a Droid owner. For me UD8 is still leading the pack, with UD9 supposedly coming out imminently (it's a day late).

some other solid contenders:
    Bugless Beast V0.5
    Simply Stunning 4.8
    Project Elite v1

I've tried them all and they've all got their strengths. Any other solid new ROMs I'm leaving out?

Advertisement
  2. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Right on! CM 6.0, Sapphire, and LFY have to make the list, as well.

3. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

I would agree, so many choices makes it pretty darn nice. Just because you have a Droid doesn't mean it has to be like your neighbor's. It can be better. :)

I am curious to see if we see any new roms in the future based on android 2.2.1, the build number is FRG83. Although so far from what I've read about this new build Nexus One users (sometimes maybe its better not to have the phone that gets all the updates first), it kills the Nexus One one click rooting and prevents you from using unlock gesture for Exchange (must use numeric unlock). Beyond that I haven't read too much about any features/fixes it may bring.

4. muab

muab Well-Known Member

Perhaps UD9 today... SS4.8 has some interesting features to it and it recently released also... He has taken some different, divergent paths from all other new ROM's that some people might really like.

I am very interested to see how UD9 stacks up

5. smroark

smroark Well-Known Member

ShadowROM is very nice on my phone.

6. gabner

gabner Member

Looking to move to my first custom rom. Any updates on the best choices? How's the new miui rom compare to these?

7. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

Buggy... I personally haven't tried it but I read that everyone likes it and are excited where its going..

Bb . 5
    Ud
    lfy
    Cm6

Seem to be the most popular

8. PatHoge

PatHoge Well-Known Member

I flashed MIUI when it first came out and it was sooo laggy and buggy. Supposedly they've fixed all of that now though. The one thing I really didn't like about it was the lack of app drawer. Now I'm running BB 0.5 and loving it.

9. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

how can I see features of these ROMS? I'd like the phone answering to be a particular way and the refresh to be faster...can I see if any have that?

10. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

My best advice would be to nandroid backup and test each one out possible until you find one you like.

11. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Uh, what "particular way"? Maybe one of us can help. UD1 with Launcher Pro is great for reducing lag...

12. gabner

gabner Member

I thought nandroid was the old way. Shouldn't I just use rom manager for backups and rom loads?

What are some main feature gains with these roms?

I'm really only looking for better performance. Should I leave my stock rom and just load an alt kernal for a higher overclock?

13. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Those still are Nandroids.... boot into recovery and you'll see a "Nandroid" section.

14. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

A lot of popular ROMs aren't available in ROM Manager. Like the latest and greatest, TheUltimateDroid. My version of old school is to download to the PC, move it to the SD card and install in Recovery. But it works every time. I only use ROM Manager to name my backups so I can keep everything organized.

15. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

Specifically to be able to touch a button to answer a phone call without having to use an app.

16. SoDroid

SoDroid Well-Known Member

Saw this thread, had to chime in :D

Not only are the following three ROMs (IMO) the best ROMs out, but they are probably the best ROMs I have ever tried, in no particular order:

1) LFY 1.71
    2) UD 1.0.0
    3) Project Elite V2

All three of these ROMs are AMAZINGLY good! PE2 is the fastest ROM I have ever used! But not a lot of customization. The other 2 are very fast and have customization options. You cannot go wrong with any of the 3. I feel very lucky to have the option to decide between these great ROMs. Always when I think the devs have reached the pinnacle of ROM advancement for the OG Droid, they do something that totally changes my opinion.

17. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 Member

Running UD 1.0.0, it is AMAZING!

18. ballmore

ballmore Member

I've tried:

1. Cyanogemod 6
    2. Bugless Beast
    3. ChevyNo1- Simply Stunning
    4. ShadowRom
    5. Liquid Frozen Yogurt
    6. Ultimate Droid 8

And now I am on
    7. Ultimate Droid 1.0.0 and loving every bit of the rom. So far I have not found any other rom that has as much customization as U.D. 1.0.0
    You can "SetCPU" through the U.D. menu. You can change your font. You can swipe left or right on a notification in the drop down bar to get rid of a notification without hitting the clear button or opening the notification. That way you don't have to clear everything if you don't want to and you don't have to open what you are trying to get rid of. I don't have a theme over it right now because the guys really did a great job at making everything look awesome graphically without one. And it's pretty fast considering the fact that it is so packed with extras.

19. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

can I load a new rom over the current one? Without wiping data again? and do any of these have native call answering features that I am looking for?

20. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

???

21. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

It's traditional to wait more than 20 minutes before wondering why nobody has replied, especially when your first post was around 5 AM ;)

You usually can't load a new ROM over your current one, unless you're upgrading to a new version of your current ROM, and even then it depends on the specific ROMs. Most ROM developers do recommend wiping data and cache before installing, even if you're already running their ROM. You can take the sting out of this with apps like Titanium Backup.

And there might be a ROM that would have the native call answering features you're looking for, but it would be easier to answer you more helpfully if you specified what some of these features might be.