• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] [ROM] DEODEXED Stock Merit (update.zip)

out of ideas

Android Enthusiast
May 19, 2012
UPDATE- a few people used this CWM version to root so I figure this would be much easier and quicker to root as a zip.

Hey everybody. So i noticed we didn't have this yet and decided to get to work on it. it was a real pain and I had to manually deomplie a lot of it. So i hope people make use of it so it feels like it was worth it.

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU BREAK YOUR PHONE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE (it works fine and I don't see how you would, but ya know.)

MAKE BACKUPS BEFOREHAND.

BIG THANKS to Xeoxudous for vUltimate and JesusFreke for baksmali to do the ones that wouldn't work.

UPDATE 1-12-This is now an update.zip type file. CWM not needed. no unzipping. and I already added Superuser and fixed all apps. one stop shop.

just download this- DeodexedMeritRoot.zip

DO NOT UNZIP THIS FILE!
Navigate to recovery, install zip from sd

IF YOU ARE NOT ROOTED YET- download and rename update.zip. go to recovery and select wipe user data. it will install and root you

Figured it would be a good base for themeing or roms. If you use it just give me some credit and we are good.

So I took algree's CWM stock backup, rooted it, then got to work. This is entirely stock(orkut,etc.) So don't expect lots of space or anything. It is out of the box pretty much(with root and DeO). so just get yourself superuser and go on and have fun.WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO BOOT. Your first boot will probably be about 5 minutes, so don't panic if it takes a
bit.

thanks to algree for the backup, stayboogy for wipe data trick and tmp cwm algree used.

system folders in action

Attachments

• 2012.10.21-19.27.03.jpeg
    2012.10.21-19.27.03.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 2012.10.21-19.27.18.jpeg
    2012.10.21-19.27.18.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
Hey everybody. So i noticed we didn't have this yet and decided to get to work on it. it was a real pain and I had to manually deomplie a lot of it. So i hope people make use of it so it feels like it was worth it.

BIG THANKS to Xeoxudous for vUltimate and JesusFreke for baksmali to do the ones that wouldn't work.

Figured it would be a good base for themeing or roms. If you use it just give me some credit and we are good.

Dropbox link edit:dropbox is taking a year to upload, so ill put it in when its done.

So I took algree's CWM stock backup, rooted it, then got to work. This is entirely stock(orkut,etc.) So don't expect lots of space or anything. It is out of the box pretty much(with root and DeO). so just get yourself superuser and go on and have fun.WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO BOOT. Your first boot will probably be about 5 minutes, so don't panic if it takes a
bit.

Instructions: Download file. Unzip it(i use 7zip). take the folder you get and move it /sdcard/clowckwordmod/backups. Boot into ClockWordMod, pick backup/restore, scroll to DeOdexedStockMerit and pick yes. Sit back and let it load, then reboot.

Very nice work!

Upvote 0
as far as keeping it all stock, I doubt it. I tried to use videos with the broken gallery and it fc on me. pushed to right one and its fine.

And what started as a theme is turning into a full blown ICS look alike ROM. It won't have all the functions of 4.0 but it looks great and is pretty snappy so far. Still tweaking it.

so far it looks like this.

Attachments

• 2012.10.27-19.18.49.jpeg
    2012.10.27-19.18.49.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
looking good, man.

i'm liking the deodexed too.

i unpacked the .img, edited the system apps to mirror what i slimmed mine to, took the framework directory too, and then made an update.zip to delete both those directories on my phone and replace them with the deodexed versions.

much much better. it's actually a little snappier too.

good work.

i also have a nandroid that has the correct gallery app replaced--i can upload it if you need it. that way no one has to do it manually.

Upvote 0
I would like to save myself some time and work and extract a few of the core apps that you have deodexed so that I can theme them and add them to my roms and patches. Apps like phone.apk, contacts.apk, messaging.apk and settings.apk are the ones I will use, most of the other ones dont contribute much to the User Interface

EDITed EDIT- would be nice to have it pre-rooted for folks that dont wanna mess with that again. 2nd edit, Boogy just told me that it was in fact rooted but I couldnt get link2sd to gain superuser permissions with either superuser, or superSU, not sure...

Upvote 0
I would like to save myself some time and work and extract a few of the core apps that you have deodexed so that I can theme them and add them to my roms and patches. Apps like phone.apk, contacts.apk, messaging.apk and settings.apk are the ones I will use, most of the other ones dont contribute much to the User Interface

EDITed EDIT- would be nice to have it pre-rooted for folks that dont wanna mess with that again. 2nd edit, Boogy just told me that it was in fact rooted but I couldnt get link2sd to gain superuser permissions with either superuser, or superSU, not sure...

Yeah thats cool, just mention it or whatever. And yes it's rooted already. I've flashed back and forth with this and stock unrooted. Is link2 the only thing not working? can you edit files and stuff?

@sb thanks dude. Its coming along pretty good. I already have a backup to upload, probably got time to do it this weekend.

Upvote 0
@james. ahh one of those. I usually wipe caches before i install anything as a force of habit. Probably shoulda mentioned it in the op.

@sb yeah a little bit further, having a hell of a time with one little modification so far. Im thinking of dropping a sort of beta of what I got so far today.

Upvote 0

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU BREAK YOUR PHONE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE (it works fine and I don't see how you would, but ya know.)

MAKE BACKUPS BEFOREHAND.

Dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/s/5536p9lmg930kvt/DeOdexedStockMerit.zip

ADDED: Gallery3D didn't recompile right the first time, so here is an updated one that works. Just download and adb push it into /system.
dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtgske0m42nybzi/Gallery3d.apk

bit.

Instructions: Download file. Unzip it(i use 7zip). take the folder you get and move it /sdcard/clowckwordmod/backups. Boot into ClockWordMod, pick backup/restore, scroll to DeOdexedStockMerit and pick yes. Sit back and let it load, then reboot.
Outofideas, D/L file and installed on my Merit. Checked to see if it was rooted w/root checker and found it was not rooted. It was a rooted stock ,right?

Upvote 0
This was my life saver, only had one problem. When I tried to restore it with CWM Recovery it failed with an error about the boot image being corrupted. So what I did an advanced restore and used a boot image from one of my previous backups and then restored the system, data, and cache from this backup. It worked great!
Thanks a ton.

Upvote 0
That's odd droidgeek. MUst have been a bad do. Nice ingenuity though.

Idk what the problem was, I know it's not an md5 mismatch (I checked manually). It may just me my phone, because if I remember correctly I tried to flash speedfreak and ran into the same problem, I tried my same work around but speedfreak loads the ext during the boot or something like that so without it's own boot.img it got stuck in a boot loop. But it allows me to restore my own backups of the boot, go figure. I'll look into it some more and see if I can put a finger on the cause.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I downloaded the file and renamed it update.zip then copied it to the sd card on the phone (ZTE Merit ZTE990G). I tried installing it by holding down the power, volume, and menu button button to access system recovery and wiping the cache partition then then selecting the wipe data/factory reset option. This is what i see on the phones screen:

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installing update...
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 2)
Installation aborted.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones