ROM Differences...

Last Updated:

1. GrandMasterBirt

GrandMasterBirt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to know what is different between all the different roms out there...

Things I noticed (and don't care about).

1) Different system packages installed... Fresh is nice since it also puts the rest of the system .apks in your sd card.

2) Different kernel out-of-the-box. However this is moot, as if your kernel runs on the appropriate rom, you pick and chose that.

3) Some pre-installed other .apks... like wifi tethering, fresh update, etc.

(somewhat useful things)

4) Themes for Sense? Like fresh looks different than stock, and so do others.

Anything else? Is there something under-the-hood that we should be aware of. I know some people swear by ROMx or ROMy but why?

Advertisement
  2. whtge8

whtge8 Well-Known Member

3. GrandMasterBirt

GrandMasterBirt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I mean I checked a few out, I don't see the difference. Definitely different kernels, but what do time offer?

4. firemedic1343

firemedic1343 Well-Known Member

Different roms, kernels and radios all work differently on each EVO, we all have to try them ourselves to find out what works best for us on our particular EVO.

5. E30Nova

E30Nova Well-Known Member

Instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd bump this one. At least it proves that I searched before posting. :D

So I just rooted my phone with unrevoked 3.2.1 and I'm looking to flash it now. I may be in the minority, but I actually like the stock Sense UI (so much so that I had an HTC Sense theme for my iPhone :p) so I'm trying to find a rom that keeps the stock UI but allows me to overclock the cpu, change the voltage for better battery life, and remove the crap bloatware that I don't want.

Sounds simple but I've been searching the site and google for a couple hours now and it looks like most roms are themed and I don't want that. :(

6. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

yoyu can ger stock rooted roms, fresh and bakedsnack are the most popular sense roms and the stock and fresh are not themed

E30Nova likes this.
  7. E30Nova

Hmm, I could have sworn that the pictures I saw of Fresh and Baked Snack had a different look to them, but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks. :)

8. biblefreak

biblefreak Well-Known Member

I will probably check out baked snacks soon, but too this point I like Fresh so much that I am not sure s Tom could get better! I am with you though, I really like Sense. Check out Fresh, you will like it.

9. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

Baked is sense but his expresso bar has been changed to a more dark semi transparent color so it kinda doesn't look like sense. The stock wallpaper doesnt help show this either since its mostly black on the bottom.

10. E30Nova

Yeah, I thought it was totally stock so I flashed it and had to go back to stock. It's not really a massive change, but IMO it kills the look of the UI. If there was a way to keep the stock look I'd go back to Baked because it was definitely snappier.

11. rpd189

rpd189 Member

Why flash a rom, just root your phone and you have what you want. A sense stock rooted phone. Just flash a new kernel.

12. E30Nova

Didn't know I could do that. Will that let me overclock the phone?

13. rpd189

rpd189 Member

Yes

14. rpd189

rpd189 Member

You can download set cpu app in the market to overclock after you flash a kernal

E30Nova likes this.
  15. E30Nova

Thanks! I thought you had to flash a rom before you could even flash a kernel, so I was looking at custom roms to flash. I'm still new to this whole rom/kernel thing. :p

EDIT: Well I tried flashing the Baked Snack kernel #5 and it messed up my screen. Going back to stock again. :(

16. rpd189

rpd189 Member

No problem

17. rpd189

rpd189 Member

Flash Kings kernal #9

18. rpd189

rpd189 Member

19. E30Nova

Thanks a bunch, man! :D

20. rpd189