• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Dirty Unicorns 5.1.1 {HAMMERHEAD} (4/26/15)

Which mobile technology does your carrier use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loving my initial impressions of this as my second ROM on MultiROM. I'm going to switch this to primary for a while.

I noticed there is a Nexus 7 (grouper) version, although I can't find it on XDA-- or is the same ROM file multi-device? Any chance the Grouper version would work on Tilapia? I'd love to try this on my 3G Nexus 7 (2012).

Upvote 0
As I said, above, I really am enjoying this ROM and it's feature set. Very smooth and stable. The only tweak I am missing from Cataclysm is the ability to have a number row on the keyboard. Any chance that could be incorporated. I can always go to Hacker's Keyboard, but I like the swiping behavior of the AOSP keyboard. No big deal if not on the list. Also, let me know if I just missed something.

Doh! Never mind. :eek: Found this and adapted it:

[How-To] Set Up PC Keyboard Layout With Android Keyboard (AOSP) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I just installed this using Multi ROM (my first use of this tool) with DU as my secondary ROM (Stock is my primary). When I try to boot into DU it says:

Kexec-hardboot support required to boot this ROM. User kernel with kexec-hardboot support.
Any ideas as to what went wrong and/or how to fix it?

I believe that's MultiROM asking for the Kexec kernel and I believe your primary (internal) ROM must have it. Try installing Franco Kernel on your stock ROM (or any other kernel that has kexec support).

Or you can not bother with MultiROM, make a Nandroid backup of your stock setup and flash DU. If you like it keep it, restore stock any time you need to.

Reactions: Biaviian
Upvote 0
I think I'm going to go with not using MultiROM. I thought I'd give it a shot but I don't really see a point in it since I have been using stock and Xposed for a while.

Multiroms xda thread has a kexec patched stock kernel in its download section. You do not need to flash another kernel with the patch on a secondary ROM when using multirom

Reactions: Biaviian and Hook
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you take suggestions/requests but one thing I miss about my N4 is that some ROMs had an option to set the volume buttons such that they ALWAYS control the media volume. I always have my ringer/notification set to the max or on vibrate but I like being able to change my media volume using the buttons even when no media is playing, in anticipation of something happening.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you take suggestions/requests but one thing I miss about my N4 is that some ROMs had an option to set the volume buttons such that they ALWAYS control the media volume. I always have my ringer/notification set to the max or on vibrate but I like being able to change my media volume using the buttons even when no media is playing, in anticipation of something happening.

Settings > Buttons > Volume default :)

Upvote 0
Sorry guys but I guess I will be the one to ask. How is battery life? I know this has been a topic in the past and it's the only thing keeping from flashing until I can get some feedback. Outside of my Q. it really looks like an awesome ROM.

This should answer your question :p

Vicd5Xg.png

Reactions: Hunter5
Upvote 0
For realsies? Mine closes. Perhaps I'm thinking of something different than you are?

Yes. If I swipe down my notifications, back button does nothing. If the phone is unlocked I can hit the home button which takes me to the home screen or swipe it back up.

Can't remember if it worked before dirty flashing the 26th build over the 19th or whatever the last one was.

I'll try a clean install on the next build and see if it fixes that.

Upvote 0
Yes. If I swipe down my notifications, back button does nothing. If the phone is unlocked I can hit the home button which takes me to the home screen or swipe it back up.

Can't remember if it worked before dirty flashing the 26th build over the 19th or whatever the last one was.

I'll try a clean install on the next build and see if it fixes that.

FYI, this is true for me as well. If the notification shade is down, back arrow does nothing. Home works, of course. ;)

Upvote 0
That is very weird. I'm pressing back with the notification shade down and again with quicktoggles menu pulled down - back button is working fine for me. Are either of you using mods?

I am using Franco, but no mods at all. I am using Nova launcher, but I can't think that would affect it. I did add the menu button and changed the size of the navigation bar, but tat was all through Dirty Tweaks. Also doesn't work with quick toggles.

EDIT: as an experiment I reset Nav bar to system defaults. Same behavior (or lack of it). Back button work fine everywhere else.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones