• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][FINAL]MIUI 2.4.21: Patching things that bugged me

indrora

Apr 10, 2013
505 :v
UfTcFTu.png

It's MIUI time again. I decided to start spelunking through the innards of the most recent MIUI rom posted (just "MIUI_2.4.20.zip") - to fix some things that bugged me.

What works
  • Everything but HDMI out, really.
  • Touch to focus is in the camera. Sometimes it can be picky (set to Auto-Focus!)

What I've changed
  • Drag-to-dismiss is gone, like it was in the first MIUI rom for the Triumph.
  • An up-to-date Play store that doesn't vanish when you touch it
  • Google Services
  • Cleaned house on some built-in apps
  • Included an MIUI4 theme
  • Includes a terminal!
  • Includes the F-Droid market
  • Translated some more strings deep in some zip's.

Things that I know don't entirely work
  • Some notifications look horribad.
  • Voicemail number is *86.

To change this: Settings → Call Settings → Other Call Settings (settings) → Voicemail Settings → Voicemail Number
  • Wifi tethering
  • USB Tether always says the USB is connected.
  • Music is slow first start. Let it churn, its looking at all your music.
  • Gallery occasionally FC's for no reason when scrolling through images. (this might actually be my fault. I have a thousand photos on my SD card.)

Future ideas

• AROMA installer (To choose if you want Gmail and such)
  • Clean up the horrible patches I made.

Screenshots

Installation

Wipe data/cache & install. Works great with Sideload, too!

GApps are included!

Download

Reactions: Mancow60
Due to some inconsistencies in the underlying MIUI framework, I'm going to leave this as-is.

There are a selection of fixes however you can apply to make things "feel better":

Pull the following from the MTDEV-CM7 2013-03-03 rom:

• system/app/LatinIME.apk
  • system/app/Camera.apk

Now, push them over ADB to /system/app and from a shell (or the file manager with root access) destroy/freeze MiuiCamera.apk

If your battery time goes through the floor, try freezing /system/app/Updater.apk -- It started consuming battery a *lot*.

The LatinIME doesn't do the right dictionaries (as it was from the chinese MIUI rom from what I can tell). I installed Hackers Keyboard to get around this but was kinda unimpressed overall.

The camera fix is due to a bug where MIUI's camera would set the EXIF CreationDate parameter to 2002-12-08 (dec 8, 2002) at 00:00 or 12:00. Don't know why, but it did. I tried finding where it did that, but was unable to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones