Rom Flashing App Backup Help

Last Updated:

1. jedidove

jedidove Member This Topic's Starter

I'm in a bit of a pinch, tried searching around to no avail, so hopefully someone has some advice. A little while back I rooted my Droid and installed BBv1. I had backed up my apps with ASTRO or Andro but after restoring them I realized that the market wouldn't recognize that they were installed and thus I wouldn't get update notifications. I was a little ticked but it was my first root so I figured what the hell, I'll just restore back to my nandroid backup, write down all my apps, reinstall the rom, and then download them all from the market. Needless to say, it took a damn long time, but I had hoped that would be the only time I had to worry about it so I was willing to take the time for my first root.

Now I just got the "low on memory" notification. So I figured I'd update to a 2.2 rom so I could push my apps to my sd card, plus I'd just like to have 2.2 at this point. However, it looks like the suggestion is to do a complete data wipe if I'm going from 2.1 BB to 2.2 BB. I don't want to install all my apps one by one from the market again, I don't have that sort of time right now, but I also want the market to recognize my apps so I don't think ASTRO is going to cut it (unless someone knows otherwise). So now I don't know what to do about backing up my apps for the wipe. It sucks since if I understand correctly, after I have 2.2 I'll have a solution for all further wipes.

I have heard about a pre 2.2 apps2sd though formatting and going through all that trouble just so I could get apps to sd in 2.2 seems a little counterintuitive...like I need apps to sd to get apps to sd...then again I have heard some bad things about the Froyo apps to sd so maybe I'd be better off with the unofficial solution anyway.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I feel like a total idiot. Kept searching and noticed Titanium Backup, it sounds like the solution...if someone wants to verify with a "yes you are an idiot, Titanium Backup is exactly what you need" that's cool.

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You're not an idiot, you kept looking on your own. That's goodness. :)

Titanium backup should resolve your issues...

Also, if you install Apps Organizer, you can use it to provide more customizable filters in Titanium backup (Titanium backup recognizes/uses Apps Organizer categories...pretty cool.

3. jedidove

jedidove Member This Topic's Starter

Okay thanks I'll check that out. Ironically, I couldn't get Titanium Backup to download, likely because I'm low on memory...so freaking circular. I deleted that really old huge Fennec build temporarily to get Titanium.

As for Apps2sd, is the solution built into Froyo any good? I heard things like it won't work for all apps, others say that if you root it will, and others that said regardless it won't let you transfer apps from one phone to another (i.e. when I get a new phone with the same gmail).