[ROM][GPL][9/12/2010] xtrROM4.2 & 4.5-beta [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc,flash10]

Last Updated:

1. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6684923&postcount=1

Donate to zach.xtr here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=QEFJSRUQ7ZK3E

Advertisement
    doogald likes this.
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

At first I thought that these posts were a bit of a waste of space, but, now that I think of it, it is invaluable to have a history of the updates. Just last week there was somebody asking about a problem with 3.0.3, and I realized that, short of searching Google cache, there is no record of what Zach posted when he released that version, now that 4.0.6.1 was out.

So, thanks for taking the time to post these!

3. KarateExplosion6

No worries. I use xtrSENSE and really appreciate Zach's development effort as it's made my phone phenomenally better. In return, I think it's mutually-beneficial for Zach and I to have me repost the XDA threads here on AF. The way I see it, these updated posts serve to get more end-users on Zach's ROMs. More end-users means that more issues will be uncovered, meaning that faster, more stable, and more efficient ROMs will be released in the future. Additionally, these threads posted in both forums serve to educate the end-users as well, meaning that the amount of issues reported back will be more relevant, and adding to my above stated cycle. The more Zach works on the Eris, the better he becomes at developing for it, and the better the ROMs will get. It's a great friendly cycle and I'm just trying to do my part to keep the cycle moving.

My hope is that, my effort will ultimately help Zach's effort, and drive him to continue developing for the Eris. At the end of the day, the Eris is EOL with both HTC and Verizon. We're not going to see any more updates. It's everyone's responsibility to incent as many devs to do Eris work as possible and to keep the devs we have working with the Eris, instead of moving on to newer and better devices.

Hopefully, with everyone's help, we'll be able to receive updated for the Eris until our New Every 2 comes up!

4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

This is an awesome ROM , wish I would have been able to have a rooted Eris when I owned one . Probably would have kept it a bit longer then I did. Stupid 2.1leak lol

The Eris with this ROM is very smooth and snappy set at 710mhz . and great Battery life I remember my Eris stock leaked 2.1 would die after 6hrs I'm at 16hrs up and 2hrs awake with 60% left

5. roscuthiii

roscuthiii Well-Known Member

Well, downloaded it once and had a bad download I guess. Trying again with hopefully better results. It's probably user error, I've been staying with Ivan's Official 1.0 for so long I'm a bit rusty.

6. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

KarateExplosion6,

are you using 4.2 or 4.5 right now? I'm debating which once to use...

7. NPH-

NPH- Well-Known Member

i downloaded and flashed 4.2 tonight and within 30 minutes I was having cpu overheating issues....

has anyone else run into this??

i quickly let it cool it off then switched over to xtrsense 4.2 and so far everything is running smoothly

8. KarateExplosion6

Right now, I'm still using xtrSENSE4.1.

I'll be moving to a newer version soon, but I can't really decide either. I'm planning to flash xtrSENSE4.5 first and give it a try. Here's the thing, with the CFS Kernel, eventually you're going to hit a "lag wall." I've read a lot of reports across the board that say the kernel is super fast and great for battery life, but eventually you hit this wall where everything lags horribly and you need to reboot to solve it (this is across all ROMs). But, before you hit this wall, your Eris is faster and scrolling is supposed to be smoother.

The other thing I've heard is that Wired Tether will not work on xtrROM and xtrSENSE when using versions 4.5. I don't really use tether that much, so I'm not concerned, but it's something to keep in mind if you do.

So, I'm going to try out 4.5 for a few days to see what the deal is with lag issues. If the benefits are clear cut, a Reboot really only takes a minute. Not a big deal if the phone is faster, lag doesn't exist before hitting the wall, and battery is tremendously improved. I guess my biggest issue will be if I'm using Nav or Pandora over extended periods of time.

If 4.5 isn't working out, I'll just flash 4.2 and call it even.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Conap & Decad3nce are still tweeking the CFS Kernel, so it's possible that a better version will come out once Conap returns from vacation (next week). On top of that, zach.xtr is actively looking into ways to optimize xtrROM and xtrSENSE to work better with the kernel. So, it's likely that we'll see a better implementation of CFS is in the future.

I've heard really good things about both versions of the ROM, so it's difficult to choose. Like I said, I'm going to give 4.5 a shot and if it's not my taste, I'll wipe and flash 4.2 instead.

9. jeffgman

jeffgman Well-Known Member

I am currently running 4.5 and it seems to be running pretty well. I also ran the CFS kernel on top of 4.0.6.1 and it seemed pretty good.

I think some of the lag issues might be from the interactive governor. Zach has turned off the interactive governor and set it up to use the ondemand governor.

I will post back my experience. I just installed this version the other day.

Jeff

10. mcmi11ions

mcmi11ions Active Member

I flashed xtr 4.2 two days ago. Yesterday my phone went 12 hours with extremely minimal use and the battery drained to 12%. I did not make any alterations to the rom.

In 4.1 I used the settings Karate Explosion presented in the post http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/170269-xtr-sense-4-1-a.html#post1545345

The battery life improved greatly with that, even though the performance was a little less snappy. Will these same setting work here?

it looks like some of the scripts ran previously (set_dalvik_vmheapsize_24.sha and cache2chache appear set as default here, so I can ignore them?

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

With 4.2, they should work fine. However, 4.5 uses the CFS kernel, which does not like running at 19.2. However, that particular Gscript has been removed, so you should be all set anyway.

That's right.

QuasiNerd and mcmi11ions like this.
  12. txeris

txeris Well-Known Member

I flashed 4.2 a couple days ago after running 4.0.6.1 for 2 weeks. Similar battery for me and i LOVE the cache2cache feature. LP + xtrROM FTW.

13. duccicucci

duccicucci Member

I was running xtrSense several versions ago and then chose to use Froyo roms. I have since came back to and am now using 4.5 bets. Very happy with it as it is very smooth and seems to run fairly fast. I recommend this rom for anyone who wants to have the same functionality of HTC's sense but be able to configure their phone to perform how they want it.

MFLOPS 5.079
    Quad Score 289

14. celton

celton Active Member

I also switched a few days ago and the battery life on 4.2 is simply amazing. With the same use I still have 50% battery left at the end of the day. Before, I would not get a full day.

15. roscuthiii

roscuthiii Well-Known Member

I'm actually running the xtrSENSE 4.2 flavor right now (thinking of flashing xtrROM 4.2 today just because I haven't had a ROM w/ lwp yet) and I have to say that today is the firs time I've put it on the charger in 3 days whereas my usage normally had me charging every day/day and a half.

16. mikey517

mikey517 Well-Known Member

I'm going to give xtrROM 4.2 another try, but I was wondering....is there a way to get the HTC keyboard (Touch Input) that's in 4.0.6.1?

I love that keyboard - the keys are easier for me to see with these old eyes, and I use the hide keyboard key a lot. The darker keyboards do nothing for me.

I know that in the changelog, Zach stated he corrected a problem by removing it, and I was wondering if it can be reinstalled??

Thanks.

17. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Well-Known Member

I switched to 4.2 from 3.0.3 and I guess I was spoiled with battery life by the previous. The battery life on 4.2 is terrible. With 3.0.3, I would get to work an hour after unplugging my phone from the charger and I'd have either 99 or 100% battery left since I don't use it while I'm driving. Then, for the 15 minute walk to my desk, I listen to Pandora and after that I'd be at roughly 96% battery left.

Today, I get to work with 92% left and by the time I got to my desk, I was down to 84%. 16% hit for for 15 minutes of streaming radio. Last nite, after about 6 hours of very light usage, I was down to like 22%. I really only used it for Pandora for 15 minutes back to my car after work, the 5 minutes I was in the waiting room of my Chiropracter, and I jumped online only 4 or 5 times after that for like 5 minutes a shot.

I've also noticed that Pandora's been a little sketchy every so often. It seems to run good for the most part but like last night when I was walking back to my car it kept stopping two or three times a minute for like a second like it was trying to buffer. This morning it just sort of stopped completely like it was stuck trying to buffer but after 5 minutes I stopped the app and started it again.

It is undeniably faster, no doubt there, but so is the battery drain... Anyone else see this happen on 4.2?

18. mcmi11ions

mcmi11ions Active Member

Are you using GScripts for set_cpu_max 748800 and set_cpu_min_19200? My first day running 4.2 was horrible without those running. I set them the next day and haven't had battery problems since.

As for the keyboard question, i'm not sure. i'm sure if you search google or this forum, or XDA for "stock <insertdevicenamehere> keybord" you may be able to find something you can try to install.

19. KarateExplosion6

20. Hypo Luxa

Actually, I hadn't run any of the gscripts. I'll give that a try and see if it helps

21. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

giving 4.52 a try today, coming from 4.061. new boot ani rules so hard :)

seems faster for sure, no problems except for a TIbackup FC the first time I ran it.

22. Hypo Luxa

Used the script to set min at 19200 and it seems to do ok when it's off. It's still draining pretty damn fast when I use it, but I might switch it back to stock and see what happens.

23. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

Wow, 18 hours since charging and my battery is still at 92%. 3G on, occasional use. I'm lovin' xtrROM 4.52