• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [ROM] Warp OEM 2.70

I was indeed correct, the numbers were horribly off. I should've known better than to DWE - Develop While Exhausted. All fixed now, along with one other typo introduced since the tutorials I'm following aren't even for the Warp, let alone B10G. Compiling now, here goes nothing...

Edit: And fail! I think I need to take a step back and try to just introduce one feature at a time - which I technically should have done all along. Overzealous much? lol So, I'm starting from scratch, adding only the reboot options first.

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Okay, what the f&*@ is up with ZTE and their insane numbering schemes?!?

banghead.gif

Usually in most code I've looked over in the past, if there's a list of objects or ID numbers or what-have-you, they're in order!! Leave it to ZTE to screw something so fundamental up. *smh*

It's like making a grocery list like this:

1. eggs
2. milk
5. paper towels
3. cheese
4. carrots

"Oh, yeah! I forgot I need to get bread too! I see number four is at the bottom of the list, so I'll just add a number five for bread... What? There's already a number five?? WHO DID THIS?!"

Now extend the logic problem in that example to a list of hundreds of objects.

Enough said. :mad:

[/rant]

Upvote 0
Okay, so I got all the code in correctly - as far as I know. Got everything to compile. Yet every time I bootloop. I assumed it might be a difference in the way B10G was made, so just for an exercise in coding I attempted to modify a pair of files for B08C, just to see if I could get that to work. Same result. There's some small detail I'm missing here, I just can't put my finger on it. It may be the way framework-res.apk needs compiled, or maybe something needs signed to work with the system. I'm not sure.

But one thing's for sure... when the going gets tough, the tough call Mr. Bobo lol
Since he's been down that road before, I figure who better to ask than him? All the code is laid out, all the changes have been made... something's just not clicking. Frustrating, to say the least.

More on that tomorrow. Goodnight all.

Upvote 0
Okay, I guess there's no signing needed for the two files in question. But I did a little test to see if what I'm putting in the files is causing the issue or the process I'm using to do it.

I flashed the stock B08C ROM, then took framework-res.apk from it, decompiled it in APKMultiTool, then changed nothing and directly recompiled it. I put the file back on the phone, and once again I have a bootloop. Something, therefore, is wrong in the way I'm compiling the file, not in its contents. I just don't know what yet. I tried chmod, using permissions 0755 and 0644 with the same results.

It just sucks, since this is really the only thing getting in the way of publishing a testing release - the rest of the complete B10 ROM is assembled and done. Except for theming. And that's best left to the experts! lol

HELP!!! :pcguru:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the play by play. It is interesting reading,,, just sorry that I can't help.

That's good to hear! I was originally debating whether to do the development for 2.00 this way or not, so I'm glad you like it. :)

The way I see it, everyone learns more this way. If I just tackle all the problems behind closed doors, then release a shiny, polished end product... what can anyone learn from that? But with "open development" as I like to call it, future developers can read over what happened when x was changed, and what made y go screwy. And then they'll know right where to look when they encounter similar things.

P.S. You can help... actually, you just did by giving me your feedback, but you can also take the finished product for a spin when I'm done, if you'd like! :D

Reactions: rickpcb
Upvote 0
Snip ...

P.S. You can help... actually, you just did by giving me your feedback, but you can also take the finished product for a spin when I'm done, if you'd like! :D

The warp is my wife's phone (that she also uses for work) so I don't get to experiment a lot with it. Currently on n00b vii. I look forward to trying your rom when it's available.

My phone is the Motorola Triumph. In a lot of ways it is very similar to the warp in that it too is sort of an orphan.

Sounds like you are close to a release. Keep plugging away. Your work is appreciated.

Reactions: mercury0x000d
Upvote 0
I needed a break from all the power menu fail I've been experiencing, so I decided to do some light theming. I know this has been done before in other ROMs, but it's new to Warp OEM. The settings menu now sports ICS icons ripped shamelessly from my roommate's Samsung Galaxy SII.

Before and after pics below.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 145
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
I'm almost done with some more theming I've been working on. Warp OEM will now have a new ICS-inspired signal meter and a new set of data connection icons, e.g. the "3G" and "1X" indicators. These were again made custom for WOEM, done in the Nasalization font, expanded in layout size and anti-aliased. I'll up some screenshots as soon as it's done.

Upvote 0
Ok, let's try this again, shall we? lol

The WOEM status bar has several refreshed icons.

I've personally never liked the vibrate mode icon in my ROM, so I modded it to look like what I consider a more traditional vibrate indicator.

The design for the signal meter came from ICS as I mentioned before, but this one wasn't a direct copy-and-paste, as I have been doing with many of the ICS icons since the phone I'm ripping from only had a 5-bar meter and we Warpers have 6. I kept the same general ICS style though.

And finally, the data service indicator... yeah, I still can't decide. I first did it in green, then thought maybe blue would better suited for this icon. Personally, I like the green... but the blue does seem to look more natural and also seems to fit both the phone and the overall look of Warp OEM...

Decisions, decisions... :p

Next up: the battery icon! I'm thinking of doing a two part icon for this one. Where most custom battery icons have a "fat battery" to accommodate the percentage number, I think I'm going to do a slim battery icon with the colored meter inside, then the numbers above. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in green.jpg
    silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in green.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 142
  • silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in blue.JPG
    silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in blue.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Glad to see your still into this rom dude, I always liked it, it was so smoking fast lol..

Keep up the good work man......:thumbup:

Thank you! Good to hear, man!

I'm working on it as we speak - er... type! The list of things remaining to implement is growing shorter, but I still have a lot to do. I finally got to the place where I've tackled the majority of the theming, but a new default wallpaper is definitely in order. And new sounds, and a few remaining icons. I know this kind of thing probably doesn't sound very crucial, but I'm just OCD like that lol

The most important things I have remaining to do involve recompiling some APKs, and that means I have some software issues to sort out first. The whole recompiling thing is still KMA.

Most importantly, I don't want this to turn into a rush job and people to have problems with the end product. It's just that it's hard to do things that way when I can't wait to get it out there to you guys!

Must. Pace. Self.

lol

Upvote 0
Okay, since the last time I checked in here, I've completed several minor - but cool - features.

You know how the 3G icon turns to grayscale when your data isn't being synced with Google's servers? The Android framework system supports the same indicator difference with WiFi, It's just that the icons in WOEM were always set to the same images by default, so you can't tell the difference. I now implemented a set of grayed-out WiFi icons, so now you can tell if you're syncing or not.

I also got rid of the pre-loaded Boost contacts which the system places in your phone by default. That always was a personal annoyance of mine, so now it's finally gone. I also modded the installer-script to wipe /cache for you, making installation one step easier. :)

Many, many icons have been themed - some custom and some from ICS - and the Status bar is now slightly updated in appearance, complete with a new font as well. The battery icon (shown in the attached pic) is nearing completion, however I believe I'm going to turn the battery itself so that it faces the other direction. I just think it would look better that way.

Another thing about Gingerbread's look which always perturbed me is the gray spinning "loading" icons shown any time something is taking too long. Now they're sporting a blue gradient instead of being black-and-white. The thing that grinds my gears with this is even ICS has the old gray icons! Come on, Google! This isn't 1963 anymore... get with the times, already! lol

The alert and information dialog icons are now also colorized in yellow and blue, respectively, and the animated downloading icon has been redesigned. We also have new text selection handles and missing app icons as well, brought over from ICS.

Sorry I haven't shown screenshots of all these goodies, but there's two reasons for that:
1) It's been a very long day, and I'm one tired boy lol
2) I don't wanna spoil everything for you guys! :p

While I've been typing this, I had my latest test image installing on my dev Warp and I just fired it up for a test run. Suffice it to say... wow. Warp OEM is still smokin' fast.

And that's only at 1.4 :cool:

Goodnight, folks!

Attachments

• silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in blue.JPG
    silent indicator, signal meter and data service symbol in blue.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 0
Thank you! Good to hear, man!

I'm working on it as we speak - er... type! The list of things remaining to implement is growing shorter, but I still have a lot to do. I finally got to the place where I've tackled the majority of the theming, but a new default wallpaper is definitely in order. And new sounds, and a few remaining icons. I know this kind of thing probably doesn't sound very crucial, but I'm just OCD like that lol

The most important things I have remaining to do involve recompiling some APKs, and that means I have some software issues to sort out first. The whole recompiling thing is still KMA.

Most importantly, I don't want this to turn into a rush job and people to have problems with the end product. It's just that it's hard to do things that way when I can't wait to get it out there to you guys!

Must. Pace. Self.

lol

Well dude we all here appreciate all your hard work and time you spend on it...... Kudos dude......:thumbup::rock:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones