• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][ICS] Paranoid Android Ver1.6 Beta from source (31JUL2013)

I don't have this issue, are you using a case? I can pull the phone away from my ear at any time during a call and the screen resumes fine. I have seen this issue when my friend got a new case that was blocking the amount of light getting to the sensor. I even tried cutting the hole a lil bigger, but it didn't help.

The unresponsiveness is getting a little annoying, I can't update the touchscreen drivers in the kernel without loosing the touchscreen altogether. There were some changes made to CM9 from CM7, and I haven't figured out how to rewrite the driver to work yet. Right now I believe we are using a prebuilt file that is causing the problem with updating the drivers.

I'm back working on this ROM, I got tangled in a CAF ICS mess, it is crazy how much stuff is kernel dependent in the build process for CAF sources. It is almost a how to guide on what is needed in the kernel, except it doesn't tell you how to add it.

I'll be posting a new release in the next few days.

Thank you for the feedback everybody.

I am using a case actually, I'll try it out for a couple of days without it and drop back in to let you know.

I updated to your latest release by the way and it's still my absolute favorite ROM I've ever used. The responsiveness doesn't at all kill it for me, just a bit frustrating at times.

I removed ParanoidAndroidOTA via Titanium and haven't been getting the FC's with it (obviously), that's been nice too.

Looking forward to another release!

Reactions: BSydz
Upvote 0
i absolutely love the rom and would love to use it but i used the first release and of course the headphones didnt work i use them quite frequently, then when the second release came out that fixed the headphones then the wifi tethering quit working wether i use a third party app or the roms tethering it reboots the phone, i tried reflashing re downloading then reflashing and nothing the tethering reboots the phone. i really cant wait for the next release that gets the tethering working it will be my daily then but until then keep up the good work..

Upvote 0
horrible gps..

so i just used this rom on a 4hr trip this weekend and the gps failed within 30 mins. it also took a while to find a signal at first, like the old stock rom, and then it was working well. however, after about 25-30 mins, the phone rebooted automatically. when i tried to relaunch either google maps or navigation, the app would freeze and force close. i tried fiddling around with the phone vs tablet dpi and had the same results. the phone also got unusually hot...

luckily i had a nandroid and restored back to the u9000 rom, gps locked within seconds and never lost signal/ force closed. im back to using the u9000 and will not go back until we can work out a better gps, because i can live with a half-working camera, but absolutely need gps in case i get lost when driving to new places

i was using the jan 13 build.

Upvote 0
What's up everybody? It took a little longer than expected, but I just finished a new build. It's amazing how much trouble one file can cause. I started from scratch and figured out a bunch of stuff about what we need to make this work. This should be a very stable build and most everything should work. Let me know how it goes. I have a base folder setup now so there should be stable releases from now on. I will be pushing the code to github in the coming days, just give me some time to get everything together, now that I have it set.

Upvote 0
Flashed the Feb 15 version last night.

Man I've got nothing to report. Everything that is supposed to be working is working for me.

I was on the original flash but needed my camera so I restored back to cm7 for a while.

Can I flash "Google Now" over the standard Gapps, and then flash the Symlinked Gapps?

Upvote 0
Any way to implement the new pie controls in this ROM? Yes I know about LMT launcher.
I'm not sure, I think it might just be a jellybean thing. Not too much info out there about it.
horrible gps..

so i just used this rom on a 4hr trip this weekend and the gps failed within 30 mins. it also took a while to find a signal at first, like the old stock rom, and then it was working well. however, after about 25-30 mins, the phone rebooted automatically. when i tried to relaunch either google maps or navigation, the app would freeze and force close. i tried fiddling around with the phone vs tablet dpi and had the same results. the phone also got unusually hot...

luckily i had a nandroid and restored back to the u9000 rom, gps locked within seconds and never lost signal/ force closed. im back to using the u9000 and will not go back until we can work out a better gps, because i can live with a half-working camera, but absolutely need gps in case i get lost when driving to new places

i was using the jan 13 build.
Sorry about your experience, I had some issues between builds, Jan13 was a bad build. The GPS is probably never gonna get as good as the Sharp or U9000 ROMs, that is just a fact of life until somebody figures out how to enable AGPS in the builds. I have searched high and low to figure out what we need to enable it in the build but there are no answers out there just rants about GPS.
Flashed the Feb 15 version last night.

Man I've got nothing to report. Everything that is supposed to be working is working for me.

I was on the original flash but needed my camera so I restored back to cm7 for a while.

Can I flash "Google Now" over the standard Gapps, and then flash the Symlinked Gapps?
Thanks, the Gapps all have to do with the system partition, so if you install a ROM it wipes the system partition. That will wipe any Gapps, cause they are usually installed to system, and any symlinks that are in place of the files in the system to free space. With the new build I have trimmed a lil over 10MB from the finished package, and that seems to clear up a few issues with sporadic files not being installed. But I have yet to be able to get Now to install after Gapps. It may work now with more space but I doubt it. You can always try though.
I just restored my nandroid of this and installed this over the top followed by the symlinked gapps. It all seems OK, but every now and then it'll reboot into recovery mode? (Normally overnight) which means my alarm doesn't go off in the morning.

Any idea how to trace this and work out why?
I have not seen any reboots to recovery, though I have seen the phone reboot while just sitting on my desk, but only once or twice. When I checked the last_kmsg it had to do with the wifi. The one thing that I can say is, if you were using the Jan 13 build then that may be a cause of some issues. I had been messing with the system when I got the feedback for the headset not working, I put together a build real quick not realizing that some of the changes I had made were bad. But I have never had this ROM reboot to recovery before. I would suggest a fresh install, then nandroid backup, then restore just the data from your previous nandroid and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Upvote 0
For anybody interested, I have the PA ICS repo all set up. It should be all ready to build. The only error that you may come across is, I included the Overlay.cpp and .h from mantera and they may conflict with the OverlayHTC stuff. Either comment out BOARD_USES_HTC_CAMERA in the BoardConfig, or comment out Overlay.cpp in frameworks/base/libs/ui/Android.mk. Other than that, this should be up to date with my Feb 15 release.

[HIGH]repo init -u git://github.com/BSydz/android.git -b ics[/HIGH][HIGH]./rom-build.sh triumph -j#[/HIGH]# = how many processor cores you have

Upvote 0
I formatted it on the phone now it won't mount and I don't know how to on a computer

A lot of computers have SD card slots. If you don't have access to a PC with a card slot there are SD to USB adapters. However it might be time to pickup a new SD card.

Anyone else have any suggestions for the op?

If no one else responds here, you may get more visibility if you start a new thread.

Reactions: jose224
Upvote 0
So, I pulled in some changes from adamto and put together a test build.

This is basically just a camera test, it should be stable but I did change some video stuff. At this point the back camera focuses takes a picture and flashes. The video will preview and the auto focus will go crazy, but it won't save anything, and will make the camera force close. Panorama works. FFC does not work, if you switch to the FFC it will lock the app til you force close, clear the app data and reboot. Let me know how it goes.

Warning!!! The auto focus goes crazy when in video mode, video mode doesn't record any way so I don't recommend trying it too often. It's not too crazy but it probably isn't good. It is fine in other modes as far as I can tell.

pa_triumph-1.6a-25FEB2013-Camera-Test

Upvote 0
Been running this since last night. Phone was locked up this morning and alarm didn't go off. I think it maybe SD Card related as I am still having problems with CWM. I think I'll start a new thread about that. Had to pull the battery to get it going. I installed the image over the top of the CM9 image from the other day. No noticeable side effects from that, but I have a full Titanium Backup all ready to go if I need to wipe/data and cache and start again.

Upvote 0
It's running smooth for me no issues outside the ones I've stated before with video calling apps.BSydz do you have a log of the camera changes that have been made between the Feb15 and the Feb25 build?I'm very curious why the fix to the saving and rotation of the camera would break the ability to enable video on apps like Skype and ooVoo.

Upvote 0
New problem I noticed since yesterday. If wifi is off and the screen is off, I lose radio signal. When I switch back on I have a little R (roaming?) which never changes back to 3g. I have to do a switch to airplane mode and back again to regain 3g. I tend to leave wifi off to conserve battery. The CM9 Camera test doesn't have this issue. I just reflashed the image and gapps over the top of my settings to see if it would fix thing, it didn't. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Been running this since last night. Phone was locked up this morning and alarm didn't go off. I think it maybe SD Card related as I am still having problems with CWM. I think I'll start a new thread about that. Had to pull the battery to get it going. I installed the image over the top of the CM9 image from the other day. No noticeable side effects from that, but I have a full Titanium Backup all ready to go if I need to wipe/data and cache and start again.

New problem I noticed since yesterday. If wifi is off and the screen is off, I lose radio signal. When I switch back on I have a little R (roaming?) which never changes back to 3g. I have to do a switch to airplane mode and back again to regain 3g. I tend to leave wifi off to conserve battery. The CM9 Camera test doesn't have this issue. I just reflashed the image and gapps over the top of my settings to see if it would fix thing, it didn't. Any ideas?
I can't reproduce any of this, so I can't comment on it. But, installing ROMs on top of other ROMs is not a very good idea. While they both have CM9 as a base the system, the kernels, and the settings are different. I also didn't just drop in all the changes from adamto. I had been working on some stuff and only brought in what was necessary. That is why I need it tested and it was not put in the OP.

I appreciate the feedback but I can't support the issues if it is not a clean install, especially when it is between different ROMs, there are too many variables. I have however installed this over the previous release of PA, I wiped cache installed ROM, Now and Symlinked Gapps. I have had no issues what so ever. Sorry I can't help more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones