• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][ICS] Paranoid Android Ver1.6 Beta from source (31JUL2013)

JUST flashed this minutes ago and already diggin it, proximity sensor problem with latest CM9 was killin me! Anyway, thanks Bsydz, I like how everything is smaller on screen allowing you to see much more than any other ROM I've tried before too. Looking forward to tomorrow again, thanks to all developers making my Triumph as it should have been out of the box!

Upvote 0
Ok.. I will reflash and wipe. Not a problem.

Clean install, but similar problem. I am in an area of fringe coverage. It seems when it drops off the network it never comes back on. It has the R symbol by signal which suggests it's logged into a different network (or thinks it is). Not sure how I can document what it's doing?

Unfortunetly, it means it's unusable at the moment as it effectively drops off the cellular network and no longer receives SMS/MMS, calls etc.

Anyone else seeing this?

I have been using Juicedefender. I tried disabling that, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Upvote 0
A bit more testing. hen Wifi is off, and I'm stationary at work (phone on desk) the 3g stays active. I stuck the phone in my pocket and drove to the local Walmart and got the dreaded R again. Airplane mode toggle got me a full 3g signal again. I have since decided to turn Wifi on leave it on, I haven't noticed the problem since.

I will update here and tell you if I get an R again when I go home. I suspect it's something to do with the Wifi Toggle.

I have since removed Juicedefender and rebooted.

The CM9 test from last weekend does not have this peculiarity.

So to summarize: Turn off wifi, put phone in pocket, drive a few miles, I will lose 3g and radio coverage and have a signal bar with an R by it. The wake up screen will say Searching for Service.

Update- just got home. Keeping Wi-Fi on made the radio stay on too.

Reactions: jr9306
Upvote 0
A few things about this ROM.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, it's not significant, but the keys at the bottom don't light up. I was able to get them to light up after taking display brightness all the way to the dimmest possible and bringing it back up manually with the slider. After this the keys lit up. Although they don't light up consistently.

Another suggestion, this ROM is laggy. I read that on the HTC One V they trimmed down the ICS ROM and effects to make it less resource hungry and more responsive. I haven't used the HTC One V personally. It has the same processor and ram as the Triumph so it would make sense to trim down this ROM as they did with the HTC Once V.

Nevertheless, this is very good work and it's awesome. I love this ROM.

Upvote 0
A bit more testing. hen Wifi is off, and I'm stationary at work (phone on desk) the 3g stays active. I stuck the phone in my pocket and drove to the local Walmart and got the dreaded R again. Airplane mode toggle got me a full 3g signal again. I have since decided to turn Wifi on leave it on, I haven't noticed the problem since.

I will update here and tell you if I get an R again when I go home. I suspect it's something to do with the Wifi Toggle.

I have since removed Juicedefender and rebooted.

The CM9 test from last weekend does not have this peculiarity.

So to summarize: Turn off wifi, put phone in pocket, drive a few miles, I will lose 3g and radio coverage and have a signal bar with an R by it. The wake up screen will say Searching for Service.

Update- just got home. Keeping Wi-Fi on made the radio stay on too.
I've noticed this issue too.I only use Wi-Fi at home with my phone cause service sucks but when I went out I got the R with the x on service 4 times while I was out and about.But when I have Wi-Fi on at home I don't have any issues.But yeah leaving Wi-Fi on KILLS the battery

Upvote 0
The proximity sensor makes me want to huck the phone against the wall every time I try and hang up a call and have to wait the 3-4 seconds for sensor to work faster. Is this an issue with the ROM or me ? ;) Thanks much, other than this I freagin DIG this ROM.

I'm guessing that you have a case on your phone, because I have 2 phones and no issues with the proximity sensor. Also if this is on going from ROM to ROM then it is your case or the phone. The proximity sensor is to the right of the Motorola logo at the top of the phone, so check for blemishes or the case getting in the way. Also there was a brief discussion about this earlier in the thread. So check that stuff out and get back to me with a few more details. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that you have a case on your phone, because I have 2 phones and no issues with the proximity sensor. Also if this is on going from ROM to ROM then it is your case or the phone. The proximity sensor is to the right of the Motorola logo at the top of the phone, so check for blemishes or the case getting in the way. Also there was a brief discussion about this earlier in the thread. So check that stuff out and get back to me with a few more details. Hope this helps.

I actually have the same issue. When I hang up a call it takes 4 to 5 seconds for the screen to come back on so i can click end call. When I ram Miui 2.4.2 ROM and also the Sharp ROM I did not have this issue at all.

Upvote 0
Ok, all you gamers out there, I think I have fixed the GPU drivers in the kernel. I don't know all the games that would reboot the device, so I need your help. I have tested this with Shadowgun Deadzone and finally got to play it. I found where the GPU drivers came from after messing with kernels all week, they are modified Xperia Play drivers. I was looking in to the Play 2.6.32.9 kernel to see what they had done to make it ICS compatible. I tried to add our stuff in and build it, but never got it to boot after I got it to build. There are some major differences, so I decided to take some stuff from it, after fighting with the kgsl drivers I figured out that board-msm7x30.c needed the kgsl info from board-semc_zeus.c to build properly. I also found that we were missing some related stuff. So I added what we needed and tested it out and found that it still rebooted. I then looked at the drivers and found that a handful were different but basically the same, so I replaced those and here we are.

I need some people to test out games and see if this has fixed any issues with games that would not previously work on PA/CM9.

This is built with the latest kernel updates from adamto and myself, but I have not integrated any of my test work, so no camera updates sorry. If this works out I will get the changes pushed to my github for any other devs who want to incorporate this. I do not know if this will work with CM7 cause the drivers are a lil different, but we may be able to get what we need from an Xperia Play CM7 kernel.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Just flash in recovery.

BSydz_PA-CM9_GPU_Test_motorola_triumph-kernel-1

Let me know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Ok, all you gamers out there, I think I have fixed the GPU drivers in the kernel. I don't know all the games that would reboot the device, so I need your help. I have tested this with Shadowgun Deadzone and finally got to play it. I found where the GPU drivers came from after messing with kernels all week, they are modified Xperia Play drivers. I was looking in to the Play 2.6.32.9 kernel to see what they had done to make it ICS compatible. I tried to add our stuff in and build it, but never got it to boot after I got it to build. There are some major differences, so I decided to take some stuff from it, after fighting with the kgsl drivers I figured out that board-msm7x30.c needed the kgsl info from board-semc_zeus.c to build properly. I also found that we were missing some related stuff. So I added what we needed and tested it out and found that it still rebooted. I then looked at the drivers and found that a handful were different but basically the same, so I replaced those and here we are.

I need some people to test out games and see if this has fixed any issues with games that would not previously work on PA/CM9.

This is built with the latest kernel updates from adamto and myself, but I have not integrated any of my test work, so no camera updates sorry. If this works out I will get the changes pushed to my github for any other devs who want to incorporate this. I do not know if this will work with CM7 cause the drivers are a lil different, but we may be able to get what we need from an Xperia Play CM7 kernel.

Just flash in recovery.

Let me know how it goes.

BSydz, you sir, are a wizard. I threw every game I could at it, trying to crash it but hoping it wouldn't and it stood up to all of them. From Bloons TD 5 to Temple Run 2, your kernel handled all of them with aplomb. These are games that would reboot even on the stock ROM and now they are working flawlessly.

Also, the camera is working as it always has. (Back Cam works perfectly, with correct orientation). Snapchat FC's when the send button is hit after taking a picture, though.

Reactions: BSydz
Upvote 0
BSydz, you sir, are a magician. I threw every game I could at it, trying to crash it but hoping it wouldn't and it stood up to all of them. From Bloons TD 5 to Temple Run 2, your kernel handled all of them with aplomb. These are games that would reboot even on the stock ROM and now they are working flawlessly.

Also, the camera is working as it always has. (Back Cam works perfectly, with correct orientation). Snapchat FC's when the send button is hit after taking a picture, though.
Thanks, I have been sitting here like a giddy little kid waiting for somebody to respond. It seems to have fixed almost all of the lag anywhere in the system, I have just been going through opening everything on my phone to see how it loaded. I am really hoping that this was the reason for some of the random reboots. I also added some memory stuff as well, so we'll see how it goes. I opened Angry Birds Space and didn't have time to think before it loaded, had me feeling like I got a new phone. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks, I have been sitting here like a giddy little kid waiting for somebody to respond. It seems to have fixed almost all of the lag anywhere in the system, I have just been going through opening everything on my phone to see how it loaded. I am really hoping that this was the reason for some of the random reboots. I also added some memory stuff as well, so we'll see how it goes. I opened Angry Birds Space and didn't have time to think before it loaded, had me feeling like I got a new phone. :D

"Like I got a new phone" was exactly how I felt after flashing it as well. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Just flash in recovery.

Let me know how it goes.

flashed this over latest CM9 camera build, and it's working great. made dragonvale almost as smooth as butter. i tested it on 3 games that constantly crashed/rebooted my phone before (angry gran run, stickman golf, and one other) and they all worked perfectly.

Upvote 0

Just flash in recovery.

Let me know how it goes.

I am working on downloading real racing 3, has anyone tested that game yet? It is the highest quality game I have recently seen.

Upvote 0
This is built with the latest kernel updates from adamto and myself, but I have not integrated any of my test work, so no camera updates sorry. If this works out I will get the changes pushed to my github for any other devs who want to incorporate this. I do not know if this will work with CM7 cause the drivers are a lil different, but we may be able to get what we need from an Xperia Play CM7 kernel. .

I have been running your new kernel from the PA thread all day, and it's great! It's much more responsive, and I believe the touchscreen is working more reliably. I'm wondering if this is what's currently checked in, because I am using it under CM9 and the preview is working fine.

I have an idea to free up a few MB of RAM by disabling HDMI and reducing some kernel buffer sizes, and I would love to try it with this kernel.

Upvote 0
I have been running your new kernel from the PA thread all day, and it's great! It's much more responsive, and I believe the touchscreen is working more reliably. I'm wondering if this is what's currently checked in, because I am using it under CM9 and the preview is working fine.

I have an idea to free up a few MB of RAM by disabling HDMI and reducing some kernel buffer sizes, and I would love to try it with this kernel.
The kernel is what I pulled when you made your changes. I just grabbed it from the folder and made the changes and and built it, the init scripts may be different, as I used my latest PA boot.img which had some init tweaks. I have been working on some tweaks to the init.triumph.rc and the ueventd.triumph.rc, we will need these to be correct just as much as the kernel itself. I am still learning permissions, but I think there are some things we need to fix in there. Also I am working on the hdmi so I don't want to take that out just yet myself. That was just a tossed together test build, that I had to see if it was just a couple games that it fixed or if it was a valid fix. I have added a few more things and gotten a few things smoothed out, I also think that I set the gpu back to 2Mb for that build instead of 4 that it has been set at in the past, I'm still running it at 2MB and have had no issues. I'll push it to git probably tomorrow or the next day, don't want to push some bad code. Plus, I have now integrated the fix into my latest kernel, so that would be the one you want to use anyway, since that is what I have been working on lately.

EDIT: HDMI:
Plug in:
[HIGH]adv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=80
<4>[ 467.216613] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is d0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 467.216674]
<7>[ 467.216705] adv7525_work_f Add Timer
<6>[ 467.319030] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 1 times
<6>[ 467.429016] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 2 timesadv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=0
<4>[ 467.430053] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is f0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 467.430084]
<7>[ 467.430114] adv7525_work_f MOD Timer pending
<7>[ 468.429412] kobject uevent returned 0
<4>[ 468.450439] adv7525_chip_on: turn on chip power
<6>[ 468.451568] calling read edid..
<4>[ 469.082672] hdmi_edid_detail_desc: A[1920x1080] B[280x45] V[1040x590] p
<6>[ 469.084411]
<6>[ 469.084411] Monitor resolution is 1280 ** 720 ID=VIZ
<6>[ 469.084442]
<7>[ 469.139007]
<7>[ 469.139007] adv7525_handle_cable_work Power ON from Interrupt handler
<7>[ 469.139038] adv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=54
<4>[ 469.140136] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is f0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 469.140167]
<7>[ 469.140197] adv7525_work_f Add Timer
<6>[ 469.248992] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 1 times
<7>[ 470.139007]
<7>[ 470.139038] adv7525_handle_cable_work Power ON from Interrupt handler
<7>[ 470.139068] adv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=40
<4>[ 470.971191] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is d0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 470.971252]
<7>[ 470.971282] adv7525_work_f Add Timer
<6>[ 471.079010] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 1 times
<6>[ 471.188964] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 2 timesadv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=80
<4>[ 471.721130] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is d0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 471.721160]
<7>[ 471.721191] adv7525_work_f MOD Timer pending
<6>[ 471.829010] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 1 times
<6>[ 471.938995] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 2 timesadv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=0
<4>[ 471.940093] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is f0 && monitor plugin is = 1
<4>[ 471.940124]
<7>[ 471.940155] adv7525_work_f MOD Timer pending
<7>[ 472.938964]
<7>[ 472.938995] adv7525_handle_cable_work Power ON from Interrupt handler [/HIGH]
plug out:
[HIGH]<4>[ 713.838470] adv7525_irq: reg[0x96]=c0
<4>[ 713.838989] from timer work queue:: reg[0x42] is 90 && monitor plugin is = 0
<4>[ 713.839019]
<7>[ 713.839050] adv7525_work_f Add Timer
<6>[ 713.949005] adv7525_work_f: clear interrupt pin, retry 1 times
<7>[ 714.842041] kobject uevent returned 0
<4>[ 714.842102] adv7525_chip_off: turn off chip power
<7>[ 714.843322]
<7>[ 714.843353] adv7525_handle_cable_work Power OFF from Interrupt handler [/HIGH]

Upvote 0
I have put together a test build that I need completely tested. I have changed a bunch of code, updated the kernel and permissions, basically this is a totally new build. This has the updated graphics drivers along with a little progress on the camera. The camera now makes the video file but doesn't record, that is about the only thing different with the camera, remember if you switch to the front cam you will have to force close and clear the apps data then reboot the phone for the cam to work. I changed tons of stuff so there is too much for me to test and I don't have any bluetooth accessories to check the BT. I don't have a change log, but if everything goes well then I will put one together when it is released.

Let me know how it goes.

pa_triumph-1.6a-04APR2013-Tester.zip

Upvote 0
I have put together a test build that I need completely tested. I have changed a bunch of code, updated the kernel and permissions, basically this is a totally new build. This has the updated graphics drivers along with a little progress on the camera. The camera now makes the video file but doesn't record, that is about the only thing different with the camera, remember if you switch to the front cam you will have to force close and clear the apps data then reboot the phone for the cam to work. I changed tons of stuff so there is too much for me to test and I don't have any bluetooth accessories to check the BT. I don't have a change log, but if everything goes well then I will put one together when it is released.

Let me know how it goes.

pa_triumph-1.6a-04APR2013-Tester.zip

Thanks BSydz, flashing as we speak

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones