ROM instructions for Noobs

Last Updated:

1. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Was hoping that someone might be intersted in a comprehensive guide for how to flash a ROM.

There are a few posts with some basic instructions...however most of those assume a level of LINUX etc that many of us don't have. This is the beauty of Unrevoked...it's easy!

I am rooted with Titanium Backup. I know I need to do a NANDROID backup (backs up current OS) and a Titanium Backup (Backs up my apps).
    What I don't have is a good idea of the batch file to run in Titanium. I'm a bit unclear because several posts have had conflicting info.

Also, is there a way to back up your home screen settings or do you lose all that?

What is the Dalvik cache? is it necessary to wipe it when flashing a ROM?

How do I then RESTORE my apps from titanium after flashing a new ROM?

Would be awesome if someone could come up with an easy logical step by step for flashing. I'd feel a lot more confident in flashing if I had something like that rather than risking all my current customization...

Advertisement
  2. patsfan1130

patsfan1130 Well-Known Member

When I first started flashing I came across the following and it helped me immensely! This is a copy / paste from a post by Doug Piston

Ok ready for this party? Lets begin. This will be how to flash roms through the recovery screen. I felt Rom Manager was pretty self explanatory but if there is requests I can make the same type of thing for it.

So here it is. this is what your recovery screen looks like.

[​IMG][​IMG]

You will see options for
    *reboot system now |This will reboot the device|
    *apply sdcard:update.zip |You will probably never use|
    *wipe data/factory reset |Use before you flash any new rom|
    *wipe cache partition |Use before you flash any new rom|
    *install zip from sdcard |This will be the option we use to install roms|
    *backup and restore |This for backing up and restoring backups|
    *mounts and storage |For mounting the /system or USB mass storage|
    *advanced |where you can wipe the Dalvik if you please|

Now onto the steps for flashing. First we will wipe the data/factory reset. You will see it highlighted in the next screen shot. To select it press your trackball.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next we will wipe the cache partition. Still highlighted in the next screen. Preform the action like before by pressing the trackball.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next we are going to apply the new rom. To do this select the install zip from sdcard. Highlighted below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The next option would be to select chose zip from sd card.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Then you will select your rom from the sd card. I had Ruby on my sd card at the time so I will show you that.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Once you have selected the rom you will get to the conformation page. Select yes in the sea of no's

[​IMG][​IMG]

Once that is done you have successfully flashed your rom. All that is left now is to reboot the device. You will see that as the first option of the main screen of recovery.

Hope this helps some of you. ​

3. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Incredibly helpful! And just what I was looking for.

Now: I'd like to know which batch to run in Titanium to save all my apps.
    How to save all my home screen setups.

Once I've got that...I'm gonna roll the dice and flash me a ROM!!!

4. patsfan1130

patsfan1130 Well-Known Member

To back up apps - menu/batch/backup all user apps
    To restore - menu/batch/restore all app with data

When you restore a nandroid that you currently have saved. The phone is brought back to that very state. All home screens will appear as they were at the time of the nandroid. I like to use Rom Manager for this.

5. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

home screen setups may or may not work with new roms. you have to be using the same framework in order for the backup to work correctly.