• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] 'LightningC' v1.2 [3/14/11]

I made a custom ROM due to the fact of the lack of ROMs for this phone. I think people need some choices so I figured I would give them 1 more choice.

This ROM is based on Android 2.2.1, more specifically getitnowmarketing's 2.2.1 update, thanks man!

To Install this ROM you must have installed the custom recovery, go here to do that: Custom Recovery Vortex/Thunderc-vzw - Android Forums

Once you install the recovery, boot in to it and do the following:
Make an Nandroid Backup: (Nandroid + android.secure)
Wipe: Data/Factory Reset, Dalvik-Cache
Install: LightningC-v1.0.zip (downloaded ZIP that is placed on your SD card)

Features:
Android 2.2.1
Pre-rooted
-Latest Superuser-
-Latest su-
-Latest Busybox (with run-parts support)-
DeOdex'd + Zipaligned all APKs
All Bloatware Removed
-Except for Visual Voicemail, just incase you use it-
JIT + Hardware Acceleration
LauncherPro
-Faster than stock or ADW EX-
Updated Apps
-Market-
-Gmail-
-YouTube-
No Bing
-Includes search button on hardware!-
Custom Boot Animation
Bash + Nano
Easy System Mount/Unmount
-Go to terminal/shell and type sysro for read-only, sysrw for read-write-​

Special thanks to:
dsixda for speeding up the process: [KITCHEN][MAR. 12 '11] HTC Android Kitchen, v0.141 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers
Dysgenic for the boot animation: [BOOT ANIMATION] The Droids - xda-developers
getitnowmarketing for the base ROM: Rooted 2.2.1 Update - Android Forums and for the recovery linked to above
i have 2.2.2 not 2.2.1 will it still work and does this get rid of bing and some orther app's ?

Upvote 0
any chances of this rom being updated? i installed today with the overclock kernel and it runs good but it's far outdated. :(

my wife likes it but i had to make a ton of tweaks soo her phone wasn't super slow. if you guys want a good launcher that is lightweight and fast try zeam. it's sad there wasn't many roms or tweaks for this phone.

even clocked up to 768 it's no where near as fast as my old htc hero was. i often find my wife running out of memory for apps too, i had to install a2sd.

Upvote 0
Now that bhast's breakneckmod has been blocked (his site is gone too), it appears your ROM is the main player on the block now for the Vortex. Any idea on when 1.3 will be released?

Thanks!

android rom breakneck_V2.1.rar
I uploaded the only available copy of breakneckmod for whoever wants it, its v2, so its pretty dull. Its basically debloated stock w/adw launcher and a music player replacement. If you want to overclock, you need to flash your own kernel

Upvote 0
I'm ready to try this, especially since someone earlier said it worked for them on 2.2.2

Problem is... I already have a custom recovery installed, plus the OC kernel. Amon_Ra's has been working beautifully for me. This will be my first attempt at a custom ROM, so not exactly sure on all the fine details.

Will I be able to use Amon_Ra's custom recovery to install this ROM? I assume so since it has the same ability to install ROMs, but I know one small wrong step can brick my phone, so wanted to double-check with you all.

If I can get some confirmations, or at least some reassurances, I'll try it out and post if it works or not.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Took the plunge, it's working great so far. Nothing sticks out glaringly as far as the visual difference between this and stock w/ Launcherpro.

But with no bloatware and snappier response, it seems like this is what the Vortex should have been like right out of the box. I like it!

I installed SetCPU though, and it can only be cranked up to 600mhz. I assume I'll need to install the OC kernel again?

Gonna try it now, will keep you posted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones