ROM Manager after Unrevoked?

Last Updated:

1. quinn

quinn New Member This Topic's Starter

I did the OTA update, then used Unrevoked, and seem to have gotten root. But when I went to flash a ROM with ROM Manager, I selected "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", confirmed my phone model, and then it told me an error occurred while flashing the recovery, without any more details.

Anyone know an alternate method for getting another ROM on the Evo, post-OTA with Unrevoked?

Advertisement
  2. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

You need to do it outside of Android..via recovery vol down+power while phone is off.

3. quinn

quinn New Member This Topic's Starter

I tried it, I think-- using DroidRootHelper, it claimed I was able to flash the 99.3b recovery, but when I reboot into recovery and select the "Recovery" option, I get the phone-with-exclamation-point screen and have to remove the battery to get it to shut off.

Other reports I've found in the last couple hours seem to suggest that custom ROMs may not be possible using Unrevoked, but unless I can somehow find and install the pre-OTA image to be able to use the regular root, it looks like I might be out of luck.

4. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Unrevoked only allows root within Android mode...there is no custom recovery... so you can't flash ROMs with it. sorry

5. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Does ROM Manager work with Toast's method?

6. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

We currently cannot write a custom recovery image or write to /system from within Android, so no, it probably won't work.

7. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

I thought Toast's method allowed for custom ROMs to be flashed?

8. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

It does. You have to run the evo recovery file he posted to get into a special bootup screen that allows you to flash custom ROMs from your SD. At this time, Toast is the only public root method that allows this.

suprmallet likes this.