ROM Manager doesn't work :(.. backups don't backup and rom's dont install

Last Updated:

1. austins

austins Member This Topic's Starter

So I followed droid-life.com instructions on rooting and installing Froyo FRF57. I'm currently running Froyo but thought it would be nice to upgrade my ROM to Jrummy Kangerade 1.0.

So I paid for the premium Rom Manager and have tried doing the backup rom feature. It reboots my phone and does nothing. No backups appear in rom manager.

Okay, so I said forget it. I'll just install the rom. so it goes through the whole process and says it needs to reboot and then nothing happens. It doesn't reboot at all. I try manually rebooting and it doesn't do anything.

Is there a trick to make this software start working?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you recovery is messed up. Go into rom manager and press the menu button on your phone. Then press settings and then check the box for erase recovery. Then go back to the main screen on rom manager. Go to the bottom and press flash alternate recovery. After that flash clockwork mod recovery again and you will be good to go

AndroidForBrains and almahix like this.
  3. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

I assume you've enabled advanced mode in the menu.

Also assume you've flashed Clockwork Recovery (via the top choice in the app when you launch it).

There have been some issues w/launching recovery when playing w/Froyo ROMs.

The typical fix is to flash another version of recovery and then flash back to Clockwork recovery.

At the bottom of the ROM Manager home screen is a choice to flash alternate recovery. Do that, then flash back to Clockwork recovery via the option at the top of the ROM Manager home screen.

Then try your backups and installs again.

4. austins

austins Member This Topic's Starter

I think it worked! Wow, so easy.

I just hit backup and it is actually showing a progress bar after rebooting this time! That's new!

5. Sasquatch8600

Sasquatch8600 New Member

i am having a similar issue when i use rom manager to backup and update it starts a reboot then freezes on the Moto symbol. have tried flashing recovery mode back and forth but still nada. i am trying to install jrummy kangerade 1.1 if it helps.

6. Sasquatch8600

Sasquatch8600 New Member

nevermind had to flash recovery modes back and forth four or five times but got it working

7. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

This seems to be a common problem. Had it the very first time I tried to install a rom and flashing the recoveries was the solution. Probably ought to be included in all the how-to root instructions floating out there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. gabib77

gabib77 Member

I installed ROM Manager and when I used "Backup Current ROM", the phone restarted, but dindn't do anything and on the screen appeared the frog in the butoom-right corner and in the middle appeared a giant trangle with "!" inside... The phone didn't stuck, when I pressed Home button it appeared boot menu and I could restart the phone without dissasembly the battery...

Can anybody tell me why I can't make a backup? Thanks

9. teddyearp

teddyearp Well-Known Member

Talk about bringing new life to an old thread. . . .

From your symptoms I assume you haven't installed a custom rom. In ROM manager, go to the bottom and flash alternate recovery, then flash clockworkmod recovery again and try again. rom manager by itslef does not always make your custom recovery stick.

To fix this, either flash a custom rom or go to my guides and find the one to flash a custom recovery manually and follow the commands there to make it stick.

good luck