• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Manager Error/ ClockworkMod 3.XX

ixjctx

Lurker
Jan 6, 2011
Ok before I present the problem, I'll give all information about my phone/root so no questions need to be asked.
I'm using the Sprint Evo 4g (hardware 0004)
I rooted it with unrEVOked 3.
I'm running CyanogenMod 6.1.2
I currently have ClockworkMod 2.6.0.1

Now here's the question/issue;
I've been trying to put CM7 on my phone for a little bit and earlier today I figured out that you need to have ClockworkMod3 to flash CM7 to the Evo. So I figured that if I can put CK3 on my phone, then viola, I can flash CM7. So I found a thread where someone showed how to get CK3 through ROM Manager. Here is where the actual problem is. When I try to do almost anything on ROM Manager, I get an error. For instance; I press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and it asks for model confirmation. I click HTC Evo (this is the ok part). Then it loads for a second and presents this error; "An error occurred while flashing your recovery." So then I all clockworkmod recoveries at the bottom to see if its a persistent error. I clicked on 3.0.0.5. Same error occurs.

Ok now that we are done with all of the background info lets get on to what i need from the nice people here. There is actually two issues here.
1) How do I install ClockworkMod 3.xx onto my Evo.
2) How do I fix ROM Manager so that it works?
-Note, I cannot uninstall (came in CM6 package).
-I've seen threads where people say install clockworkmod recovery from the market. I don't understand exactly what they are telling me to do because I saw nothing with that label.

Finally, a closing note.
I'm new to rooting, terminology might be a problem and I might ask you to explain it.
I have looked all over the forums and found no fix, if you see an answer to this problem just direct me to the thread.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think you need CW 3.0.0.x to flash CM7. It should still work 2.6.0.1. Did you try it and get an error? You might benefit from just switching to RA, for all that matter. In any case, CW 2.6.0.1 is backwards compatible, but it should work fine with flash anything GB as well.

In any case, the normal fix for your problem is to uninstall and reinstall ROM manager. As it's in /system/app, apparently, you cannot install it from the market, nor can you uninstall it the normal way. You have a couple of choices. You can remove it from /system/app and install it from the market if you want. I don't remember the full name of ROM manager (what you will see in /system/app), but you can look it up, or somebody else can comment. I don't have my phone with me at the moment, so I can't check. If you want to wait, I can check later.

Anyway, you can choose to completely ignore ROM manager, if you want. It's buggy, and doesn't work all the time, even for flashing recovery, as you can see. The other option is to flash recovery via PC36IMG.zip. You can get it here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

Just follow the instructions in the thread to flash it. Let me know if you have any trouble with that or have any other questions.

Upvote 0
clockwork is extremely buggy and will give you issues at some point and time. it just will.

clockwork is developed by the creator of rom manager, to install it from the market install rom manager from the market.

you can uninstall rom manager like any other app...using titanium back up or through the settings menu. it is not required for cyanogen roms, but alot of devs include it in the package.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's true, you can remove ROM manager from Titanium Backup when it's installed as a system app. You can then reinstall it from the market, and it should work. That being said, I'd recommend you try RA instead. In any case, when you flashed CM 7, did you wipe cache/dalvik/data? Did you flash gapps at the same time?

Either way, a PC36IMG.zip file is basically an automated way of flashing through fastboot. Since you probably don't know what that means at this point, it just means taking full images of partitions and replacing what's on internal memory with something else. You can use PC36IMG.zip files to replace the whole system or just one (or more) partition. It's not used for flashing ROMs because it's very much an "all or nothing" type of thing. It's not very flexible. It is, however, great for replacing recovery images. If you follow the instructions that thread, it will tell you how to use it to flash recovery. It's pretty simple.

Upvote 0
Ok ya i tried re-flashing cm7 and gapps at the same time and i got the same result. I guess gapps doesnt like cm7 (or the other way around). But just updating, i tried uninstalling ROM Manager and reinstalling, now it works fine. I have CK3. Now the other problem. I can get CM7 to work fine, but gapps is pretty important to me. Is there no possible way to have it with CM7. Plus i didnt look that hard but do you have the android market w/o gapps?

Upvote 0
Yeah, you shouldn't have had a problem with CW 2.6.0.1, like I said. If it was a recovery problem, you probably wouldn't have gotten as far as a bootloop. If you're using the CM 6 gapps, I'm sure that's the problem. Here are two pages for you to bookmark:

[OFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 7 for Evo :: V7.0.0-RC1 (2/15/2011) - CyanogenMod Forum
Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Scroll down the bottom of that second one for gapps. Make sure you get the one for CM7, not CM6. Flash that after you flash the ROM. Reboot in between (unless you already have CM7 up and running now; in which case, just flash gapps).

Reactions: ixjctx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones