ROM Manager: Is it just me or is it easier to just manually change ROMs?

Last Updated:

1. Sprockethead

Sprockethead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't want to say that this program is useless. It's just that I haven't found a use for it personally. Apparently, a lot of people out there like it. But why? I know that I am missing something.

You can search for roms. I can do that with google.
    You can reboot into recovery. You can do that buy holding the up-volume button.
    You can automatically install a rom from the SD card. No you can't. I tried and all the app did was reboot my phone into recovery.
    You can install a rom using a picture. What?

There MUST be a way to install a ROM using ROM Manager without the need to plug into the desktop. Could somebody out there please educate me?

Thanks in advance.

Later

Advertisement
  2. I[E

I[E Active Member

I like using it to manage nand backups and I haven't had any issues with the one-click install from SD.

3. Sprockethead

Not me. Anything command that I do, whether it be backup or new ROM just brings me to the Recovery screen, which is obviously useless. Is there a step I'm missing here or something. Normally I'd just uninstall the app, but I rarely pay for an app and just want to make sure it's not me before ditching it.

4. ktulu909

ktulu909 Member

I just installed Fresh,decided to try bugless and went back to fresh without ever plugging into a PC.What is it you want it to do?

5. Sprockethead

I just want to do that exact same thing.

Say I have a downloaded ROM on my SD card (root folder). I click "install ROM from SD card" Correct?

Then I choose the file, which I've done.

For me, all it does is reboot into recovery at this point.

6. ortizdupri

ortizdupri Active Member

You've flashed the ClockWorkMod Recovery to your phone, correct?

7. Sprockethead

Yes, I've done that. I've even tried to flash an older version of it, and then re-flash the newest version of it.

One quirk is that the very newest (ends in a 4) will not install for me. So I am using the version that ends in a 3.

8. texasboylaw

texasboylaw Well-Known Member

half the time mine doesn't even work. i haven't found much use out of it myself. i thought i was the only one having problems.

9. Sprockethead

Ok - So in an attempt to get it working, I chose "Fix Permissions." The phone ran through a lot of scripts and I thought to myself "this must be what I was missing."

So I test it by pressing Backup Current ROM. Now the stupid phone is stuck at the Refresh screen. I can't hit the up button to get the Reboot menu.

At least it did something different this time, but the thing it did apparently bricked my phone!

Now I really need help. Should I start a new thread on this?

10. ktulu909

ktulu909 Member

press volume up and down at the same time to go back.

11. chrismmm

chrismmm Well-Known Member

i have run into multiple issues as well. and after i get the red triangle of death..i have let it sit for 5 -10 minutes and usually end up pulling the battery to get everything restarted..WTF?

12. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

I too don't understand the point of ROM Manager.. Not like it's terribly complex to update ROMs via Recovery.. Why insert another layer of software into an already simple process?

13. mparker256

mparker256 New Member

My EVO is running 2.2 and rooted (quickboot works and I have superuser)
    I download a ROM with Rom Manager, I tell it to backup and wipe. then boot.
    the EVO come up with 4 options: Bootloader, reboot, reboot bootloader, power down.
    and just sit there, NOW WHAT!!! a power down and then back on returns me what i had before.

14. ExSaint

ExSaint Well-Known Member

From what previous people said i kinda agree what they use it for. I don't download roms from it, i just use it to manage my nandroid back ups aka renaming them. Its very useful time consuming to click install rom from sd card and at the same time it does a back up, wipe, and install rom all at the same time. i just click it once and set the phone down. Its just much easier in my opionion. Sprockethead i do see your point on some of the features with this app. Like the barcode scan for installing a rom? Nice but why use it.

15. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

1-All the ROMs u need are on XDA.

2-To go into recovery u less volume-down and power button.(not volume-up)

3-To install a ROM you will have to boot into recovery even if the ROM is already on the SD card.

4-There's no need to have your phone plugged into a computer to download and install a ROM from RM.

16. AndroidJim

AndroidJim Well-Known Member

I've used Rom manager to download and install roms and flash kernels and haven't had many problems. Only thing I've run into is sometimes I have to flash alt recovery (ra) and use that to wipe dalvik cache because clockwork sometimes won't do it. I also like being able to rename my backups.

17. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

You can rename backups with ra just don't put any spaces in the name.

18. Thanatos_evo

Thanatos_evo Member

I've used ROM manager (and paid for pro), but somehow like the manual process with Amon_RA. I'm more careful and pay attention to details that way - and it feels like I'm in control all the time.

19. I Like Soup

I Like Soup Active Member

I'm pretty happy with Ra recovery and don't want to go chasing an issue that Clockwork may have caused with not fully wiping cache/Dalvik. So I do it the manual way from my PC, which I really don't mind. It takes forever (seemingly) to download a ROM over the air and I'd rather just click and drag the file to my card. Now, I'll have to look in to the renaming backups using ROM Manager. I screwed that up before I knew you weren't supposed to put spaces in the name.

20. ceabbott2

ceabbott2 Well-Known Member

You've probably know this but just in case... when you download your ROM/kernel you do make a copy and move it to the root of your sd card? The reason I mention this is when I first started I would download the file or use the bar code (picture) feature and I just assumed it copied the file to the root, but in fact it was saved in the download file folder. I would need to copy and paste the file on the root of the sd card.FWIW :) Oh yeah I'm like everyone else I have the pro version but I use it for backing up my ROMS and getting me into recovery quickly, although like you pointed out thats a very simple task.

Charles