ROM Manager will now flash SBRecovery!

Last Updated:

1. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just downloaded the latest version of ROM Manager and to my surprise there is a menu option to flash the latest version of SPRecovery. You cannot use ROM Manger to backup and restore stuff from the program using SBRecovery but it is still a nice convenience to have a menu driven interface to switch from SB to Clockwork. Last night an option was also added to fix system permissions. ROM Manager is progressing quite nicely (although I still prefer to flash and backup the old fashioned way).

Advertisement
  2. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Holy crap ... your right!!!. So that's what the big secret was... damn. I've used the Permission fix script as well... totally took care of every issue I didn't know I had... lol.

I'm gonna kinda mis doing it in term.. ;)

3. shrink57

For that kind of stuff I set up shortcuts in gscript (along with all the other repetitive stuff). It will even set up a homescreen shortcut to the scripts. Makes it too easy :D

4. bose301s

bose301s Well-Known Member

Where does it show that, I don't see it? Or do you have to be flashed to ClockWork to see it?

5. shrink57

The last entry on the main screen (damn, he just updated the program again!) is "Flash Alternate Recovery." I have the "donate" version. I am not sure if it is there for the free version.

Update: I just deleted my Premium key and the alternate recovery flash still shows up (it seems like the only feature disabled in the free version is the ability to download ROMs that are not Koush's).

6. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

i was one of those people afraid to break away from SP but i decided to jump on to clockwork and i am proud i did. it is a great recovery and it gets better everyday. some times twice a day. :)

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Hey Neil, I noticed you almost always call it SBRecovery but you know it is really SPRecovery as in SirPsycho the guy who created it.

shrink57 likes this.
  8. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

This one one feature that I really was waiting for. I am gonna donate and get the premium cause of that. Now I can just get rid of the DM app and use RM from now on. Really RM makes DM look like yesterdays news now.

9. shrink57

You are right. I guess these old eyes are going :cool:

10. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that the latest ROM Manager update (which allows for switching to SPRecovery) only has three options enabled: Flash ClockworkMod Recovery; Reboot into Recovery; and Flash Alternate Recovery. All of the other functions are greyed out. Just to be sure, I restored my backup of the last version and all the options except Dowload ROMs, which is a premium funtion, were available (but of course Flash Alternate Recovery wasn't included yet).

Are all of the functions working in the premium version of the latest update? I'm hoping they update again soon to fix this, because I was really loving the ability to manage and restore backups and to name my backup if I chose Backup Current Rom, but I also think it's awesome that they've added the ability to switch back and forth between Clockwork and SPRecovery.

11. shrink57

I have premium and they are all working here with the latest version (he must have put out 6 versions over the past 5 hours). Do you currently have Clockwork flashed? When I flash SPRecovery I notice the other stuff is grayed out (which makes sense because they require Clockwork to flash or restore).

12. GirLuvsDroid

Yes, I have Clockwork flashed. The only thing I changed was to update ROM Manager. Strange indeed. I'm going to keep using this awesome ROM Manager and I truly like Clockwork, so I think it's time to just upgrade to premium.

13. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Just loaded non-premium version for first time, and the SPrecovery flash option is not there....

Only enabled options are:

Flash ClockwordMod Recovery
    Reboot into Recovery

All others are greyed out...

14. shrink57

Should be the very last option (scroll down past the Backup and Restore options). It is in Utilities (along with "Fix Permissions").

15. Redflea

Yup - I get that. What I'm sayin' is it ain't there. :)

I've scrolled all the way down, and the last item is Fix Permissions, nothing else there.

So it may be in the paid version, but it's not in the free version that I downloaded (1.8.3.5).

16. shrink57

Something is weird because yesterday I deleted my premium key just to test out the free version and Alternate Recovery Flash was there. There have been so many releases lately that he might have changed something since my last test.

17. Redflea

Likely it's remembering what you had w/the premium key for some reason...

18. GirLuvsDroid

Redflea, if you haven't flashed ClockworkModRecovery yet, it won't show. I uninstalled ROM Manager this morning to see if I could get the updated version to enable all the options I had before, and Flash Alternate Recovery didn't show. When I restored data from my backup, however, and ROM Manager discovered that I had already flashed the latest version of Clockwork, the option for Flash Alternate Recovery once again appeared at the bottom.

Now here's the weird thing. I upgraded to Premium version and I still can't use any but the 3 options I noted before, not even Download ROM, which is the whole reason for buying Premium. I'm completely baffled.

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling the free part of ROM Manager and then didn't restore my data -- I told it to flash ClockworkMod Recovery instead (even though I'd already done it). Once I did that, all of the options are showing as available again.

19. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member

I need a bit of help understanding what the differences are between ClockwordMod Recovery and SPRecovery and why they'd both be in ROM Manager.

20. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

They're recovery modes which allow you to flash ROMs. Think of them as doors (recovery) into a house (ROM). One goes through the front door, while one goes through the back. They get to the same place (ROM), but different ways.