Rom manager will now partition your sd card

Last Updated:

1. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I just noticed today that the feature is there. I am going to give it a shot later once i have everything backed up on my pc

Advertisement
  2. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

don't you need at least a class 4 card? i thought the stock ones were class 2

3. OMJ

Yea I honestly I dont expect it to work real well but its worth a shot

4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Actually class 6 is what is recommended for good results. I also read some war stories of people frying slower cards (permanent read /write errors). I'll pass for now.

5. OMJ

yea I am testing it out with a 2gb sd card I had lying around. When I have some downtime I will let you guys know what results if any I have

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

This is good news as a partition is necessary to load the Desire rom.

7. OMJ

So I played around with it for a little while and it works. I tried a bunch of different programs and most worked fine. Had 1 that force closed when I tried to use it though. I tried google earth to get something really intensive but it only took up 6mb on the sd card so it obviously is not totally there but it did work as usual no lag. When I took out the sd card everything I installed including Google earth was gone though.

Like I said most apps worked just fine a few were a little laggy. If anyone has an app they want me to try before I turn it off and switch back to my normal sd card let me know and I will give it a shot.

8. OMJ

sorry to double post but I found this on cyanogenmod forums when trying to find some info about Apps2sd.

thread it was in can be found

Apps2Sd On The Droid Anyone? - CyanogenMod Forum

9. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Interesting...same issue appears on cameras, where transfer speed can be limited by the bus more than the card speed.

10. xsoulbrothax

xsoulbrothax Active Member

When I first got my Droid, I tested the included Class 2 on a PC and benched it against a Class 6 I had lying around - the stock Class 2 was faster by a decent clip, something around 20MB/s vs 16-18MB/s.

11. wright32873

wright32873 New Member

I am trying to use Rom Manager to partition a SD on a HTC Desire running REDUX 1.2, it goes into boot mode (droid with a triangle and exclamation mark) and seems to just hung. The longest I have waited is 15 minutes. I have also attempted the same running Gingervillian. Can any one tell me how long you need to wait or have I done something wrong? I have only just started experimenting with different ROMS.

12. tucknast10

tucknast10 Member

Do you have clockworkmod recovery flashed?

13. TVViiTCH

TVViiTCH New Member

Folks folks (*screeching brakes*) all great observations here an all my very well be noticed however I'm finding more and more people are misinformed of the "Class Rating". First off here's the kicker... ALL of the classes of MicroSD cards have the same "maximum speed rating"... yes its true. The Classes differentiate the MINIMUM speeds. Basically the rating is stating that the particular card will always read/write and a minimum of that speed... but it'll never go higher than the max for MircoSD (It's right around 15mbps.) I just picked up a "16GB Class 10" for about $35. That is really the best I would recommend 'as of right now'. Let me tell you why... The Class 10 should perform no less than 10mbps read/write. A Class 4 typically has a minimum of performing no less than 4mbps. So thats why a higher class rating is a performance factor. Now for the good old 32GB MicroSD :) well that is just two (2) 16GB boards stacked on top one another... accessing it to read/write is still limited to that same bus that a 4GB would use. Therefore there is no performance value for a higher capacity card above 16GB. The only advantage is you have more storage capacity. So that's the scoop on the Class Ratings and Sizes. THere is a new format coming out soon where this will change so standby... :)

yenrod likes this.