Rom Manager

Last Updated:

1. halcyondays

halcyondays Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    Just plucked up the courage to root my Desire. and now want to have a go at installing Froyo and looking for the easiest way :)
    I've looked at Rom Manager and was wondering if its worth getting the paid version as it says you can get all the popular roms downloaded to your phone.

Was wondering how good this app is and if anyone has had problems with getting the roms.

Or is it better to get them elsewhere?

Cheers for any help

Advertisement
  2. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

+1 from me - just rooted and looking for an easy way into updating the roms (bit confused about the radio side of things) so would like to know about ROM Manager too.

3. celticone

celticone Well-Known Member

ROM manager is good to have, but you don't need to get the paid version.

Download the ROMS from XDA forum, then stick the ROM on your SD card (in the root), then boot into recovery (you can use ROM manager for this), and then install the zip (ROM) from there.

halcyondays and tef89 like this.
  4. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Do the roms include the necessary radio, or do I find those separately (went for the paid version of Rom Manager already as it does look a bit easier - just lazyness I guess)

5. celticone

No I don't think most of the ROMS include the latest radio, it's usually flashed separately. (I might be wrong with that, I'm sure Ill be corrected)

I'm currently using the following ROM which has the option of including the latest radio.

[ROM][23/07] ۵.NeoPhyTe ROM 1.2 Sense-FroYo - ( FRF91 l Fast l 720p | 2.06 | AP2SD ) - xda-developers

But go to any of the ROMs on teh xda forum and they'll give you the link the latest radio. You just install this the same as you do a ROM, download and stick it on the SD Card, reboot to recovery and select install from Zip, then pick the radio file.

6. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great advice, I think I'll flash that one next :)

In the meantime I couldn't wait so I installed AdamG's OpenDesire 2.3 just to have a look at the Nexus one type ROM - wow ... very cool.

Didn't do a radio :s seems to be working ok though.

7. celticone

You can check your current radio by going to settings/about phone/ software info (the latest one ends in 00.08)

I'd recommend installing the current radio (unless you are on orange)

8. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

I am on Orange but my handset was factory unbranded & unlocked (from CPW) - is it still a worry about SIMlock ?

9. celticone

Nah I think the problem is only when you have all the Orange guff pre installed on it, seems to mess up radio flash bit. But unlocking it solves the problem so you will be ok (it's unbranded plus it's unlocked, so doubley good)

10. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

Well I updated the radio to a 'Froyo' one and now the OpenDesire 2.3 rom I was using is running better, I'm grabbing the one you mentioned too so will have a look at that one - thanks celticone for all your help (and sorry halcyondays for the thread hijack)

11. halcyondays

halcyondays Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

No probs mate, i'd completely forgotten about me starting this.
    And thanks alot celticone for your help.

I've managed to Root and instal the Leedroid rom, everything went very smoothly, i took it real slow so not to mess anything up.

Just a few issues with it at the moment, the a2sd+ i have no idea whether its working or if its actually on the phone.

HTC Mail widget is messing around and a couple of other things but apart from that great.

12. holyblood

holyblood Well-Known Member

hi guys,

i used the rom manager for partitioning my sd card, i used 512mb for both ext and swap file sizes. Are these the right settings? And what are those for?

Thanks!