• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] MTDEV-CM7 build 2013-03-03

Hi guys,

A quick thank you for all your hard work with the various ROMs you all create and all the help you dole out to us noobs (hence this question).

I have been having a camera issue for a while now with various ROMs, with this one being the latest. When I install I wipe all (factory reset in CW and Dalvik cache wipe). The installs go fine, but the camera problems persist. I have tried cm-9.0.0.Triumph-Alpha-0.6.16.1.zip, update-cm-9.0.0.Triumph-Alpha-0.6.12.0-signed.zip, CM7-TG-Reloaded-2012-03-25.zip, and MTDEV-CM7-20120819.zip. I realized after cm9 installs that camera might be a problem so I went to cm7. About 90% of the time the camera launches but I usually get blank screen. Menu button generally yields force close or wait state. Home resets back to home. About 5% of time it I get the camera screen, but no images and everything is locked up. The last 5% it actually works and I can take pictures. I have tried to gauge whether full battery charge or partial charge has any effect (none noted). I have reformated SDcard without success. With full wipe I do not attempt to restore anything so the camera is the first thing I do after installing gapps. The only other thing I have to do is get to wifi before attempting to logon to google (for play store) since I live in a Sprint coverage hole.

Is it possible that somehow my camera hardware is hosed? I haven't read about this issue in the forums. Mostly the camera issues are front/back camera, clicking noises.

Sorry for long post, but my frustration is gettingthe best of me. Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Install the stock froyo ROM and see if the issue is still happening. If it is send it in for a replacement.

Reactions: gpetrick
Upvote 0
I had a similar issue a while back, for me it was because I wasn't doing a full wipe when I installed the new rom, it might be a good idea to make sure that you do a full wipe each time you install a new rom. in recovery wipe data/Factory Reset, clear cache then clear Dalvik Cache, then install rom and gapps, that worked for me, other than that you can try going stock to see if it works there

Upvote 0
Well almost like clockwork, I have been muddling around with this camera issue for about 1 month now and I think I figured it out the day I finally post a 'help me out' request! When I was CWM wiping and factory reset, I hadn't noticed an error while doing it. The error was "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p2". I think a combination of wiping so often and my poor eyesight caused me to miss this. I repartioned my sdcard with CWM and now it seems to work (at least no errors so far).

I don't know if that helps anyone else out there, but I thoroughly appreciate the responses I got in such a short time. Peace out and looking forward to CM10 (once the camera issues are worked out!).

I threw MTDEV a little bone as well. Keep up all the excellant work!

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
Well almost like clockwork, I have been muddling around with this camera issue for about 1 month now and I think I figured it out the day I finally post a 'help me out' request! When I was CWM wiping and factory reset, I hadn't noticed an error while doing it. The error was "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p2". I think a combination of wiping so often and my poor eyesight caused me to miss this. I repartioned my sdcard with CWM and now it seems to work (at least no errors so far).

I don't know if that helps anyone else out there, but I thoroughly appreciate the responses I got in such a short time. Peace out and looking forward to CM10 (once the camera issues are worked out!).

Im pretty sure that error is fine to get, I've gotten it everytime I've ever wiped with no ill effects, im pretty sure its the version of cwm just looking for a folder that doesn't exist or doesn't yet

Upvote 0
There are 3-4 errors that always occur, they are listed somewhere here. Are you restoring anything?

I pretty sure the number of errors is based off the version on cwm recovery the person is currently using

I personally recall an older cwm used to give me a bunch of errors that never did anything, ill, they were just looking for a folder that I guess different models of phones probly had, after I switched to the newest I believe the 5.5.0.4 there only ever seems to be 1, the devblock

Eitherway I'm pretty certain the devblock error is nomrmal and doesn't do anything bad

Upvote 0
I can't seem to remember which ROM I loaded last... Is this g60 style final?

4257004e-a3e6-a36e.jpg

Upvote 0

I looked at what we have on our phone and /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 does not exitst. I wouldn't worry about it. I have seen a few users say that this error shows up and it doesn't seem to be an issue.
The sdcard is mounted from /mnt/sdcard. I think you found the problem by formatting your card.

Upvote 0
Sorry, thanks

No problem :) just check out the Mod version and it will normally say. The catch with g60 final is I released version r09 and then r10 and r11. Final was a modified r09 which I modified the build.prop and also recompiled the frameworks.jar with some patches as I felt r09 was the best version I put out. Mind you mtdev-cm7 is much better than g60 minus the current release which has some WiFi issues.

Also Chairshot will be pushing up some new commits which should take cm7 to a whole new place. Sadly he has been sick all weekend, so right now just hoping he gets better soon!!! The updates can of course wait.

Reactions: Inc0gnit0
Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been said before, but I'm pretty sure the camera click is actually the lens hitting the outer glass... dunno if there are configurable settings in the camera stuff, but seems like it could be a pretty quick fix if there are, to change either the speed or the distance that the lens is allowed to travel...

Cheers,
Jason

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been said before, but I'm pretty sure the camera click is actually the lens hitting the outer glass... dunno if there are configurable settings in the camera stuff, but seems like it could be a pretty quick fix if there are, to change either the speed or the distance that the lens is allowed to travel...

Cheers,
Jason

Jason,

The problem with this of course is we have no source code for the camera so we are flying blind as to what parameters we can or can not set. I have been trying to get more info on the camera but right now the company denied my NDA so I need to try another route to look a little more professional ;)

Upvote 0
i reinstalled 8/10 after a full wipe. i did restore user apps from backup but nothing from a system backup and last time installled this rom i had the same issue and had not installed or restored anything.

i setup wifi tethering with no security and tried connecting with my kindle touch. it connected for a second then dropped. the ssid was no longer in the list after scanning a few times. after about a minute it showed back up but when i tried to connect to it after that it wouldnt connect at all. during all this time nothing has changed on the phone, looks like it should be working, turned it on and off on the phone and it wouldnt connect. i rebooted the phone and tried again with the same result.

rebooted the phone again and tried connecting to it with my roku, it connected and stayed connected. it wasnt a usable connection for the roku but it stayed connected. i connected to it with the kindle and it also worked fine. disconnected them both and tried connecting with the kindle the first situation recurred. i tried after that to connect the roku first and again they both worked fine.

i know youre probably going to say its the kindle but i have the same issue on another computer over wireless, does the exact same thing as the kindle. i left it out of the equation this time though. also i had been using tg-reloaded for 4-5 months and it worked fine with the kindle. i dont remember connecting anything else to wifi tethering over that time though.

the gps doesnt lock after 10min, i gave up. honestly i dont remember the gps ever locking so that may be the hardware.

edit: a view of my 3g and Wi-Fi on 8/10....

44ce2c0e-3569-7df3.jpg
44ce2c0e-358d-64cb.jpg

it is late out so take the 3g for what it's worth (the stuff after 12am, is at my house, 30 miles from the previous location).

Upvote 0
Thanks Devs!!!

I moved from MIUI and installed the 8/19 rom. GPS was instant for AGPS but actual GPS took forever - 5 mins and counting (I quit waiting). Im goning to try the 8/10 build and see what that does as I switched from MIUI specifically for the GPS issue.

Thanks again.

Are people confusing this "gps fix" as being an actual GPS fix? In other words, true GPS still is unbearable for me. To the uninformed, the gps appears to find a very fast fix but its using your wifi or 3g connection - not the GPS radio.

Unfortunately 8/10 is the same. Instant AGPS (wifi etc) but "real" GPS just sits searching for satellites.

"Real" GPS works for me in MIUI, SHARP and stocks roms but takes 5 mins or so. For this 8/10 (and 8/19) release after 5 mins I stopped waiting for a "real" GPS fix.

My wifes VM Optimus gets a "real" GPS fix in 5 seconds from the same location.

Thanks though - worth a try.

Upvote 0
Are people confusing this "gps fix" as being an actual GPS fix? In other words, true GPS still is unbearable for me. To the uninformed, the gps appears to find a very fast fix but its using your wifi or 3g connection - not the GPS radio.

Unfortunately 8/10 is the same. Instant AGPS (wifi etc) but "real" GPS just sits searching for satellites.

"Real" GPS works for me in MIUI, SHARP and stocks roms but takes 5 mins or so. For this 8/10 (and 8/19) release after 5 mins I stopped waiting for a "real" GPS fix.

My wifes VM Optimus gets a "real" GPS fix in 5 seconds from the same location.

Thanks though - worth a try.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the "fix" was that the devs pulled the GPS stuff from the sharp rom but like everything else I think gingerbread goes about GPS differently, I believe its also suggested to have all the assists in location turned on

Either way it should be better then it was, stock outta the box froyo for me GPS never did anything unless I connected to a wireless network and used that location, if I only had the GPS selected it could take hours

Haven't really tried GPS since coming to the mtdev but from what others have said its slightly better then before

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the "fix" was that the devs pulled the GPS stuff from the sharp rom but like everything else I think gingerbread goes about GPS differently, I believe its also suggested to have all the assists in location turned on

Either way it should be better then it was, stock outta the box froyo for me GPS never did anything unless I connected to a wireless network and used that location, if I only had the GPS selected it could take hours

Haven't really tried GPS since coming to the mtdev but from what others have said its slightly better then before

I will play around with it some more and try it in other locations.

Other than the GPS I really like this rom. Im using a MIUI launcher and so I get all the functionality of MIUI but with all the fixes for C7 :)

Thanks devs!

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
I will play around with it some more and try it in other locations.

Other than the GPS I really like this rom. Im using a MIUI launcher and so I get all the functionality of MIUI but with all the fixes for C7 :)

Thanks devs!

magohn,

If you like miui swing over to AjaXplorer once there browser to

/g60stlye/removed_apps/themes

In there you will find a miui theme I used back on g60 rom. It's the best miui theme I found at the time. There maybe others but that one is pretty good.

Upvote 0

You are confusing AGPS with Network Location: They are 2 separate things. AGPS helps the real GPS sync faster, and does download data from the network. Network location uses the network itself (towers and access points) to determine your location.

If you were outside when having those GPS issues with the Sharp ROM, then your phone's GPS is bad. When I was running the SHARP ROM, with Network Location turned off, so that it could only use real GPS (with AGPS speed up), the real GPS would lock in under 30 seconds, and sometimes in like 5 seconds.

Unfortunately this ROM doesn't yet have the same real GPS performance as the Sharp ROM, but I'm hopeful that it will someday.

Reactions: dsmryder
Upvote 0
Thanks for the hard work guys. I'm still having issues.

Turns out the power widget/brightness control is still sticking after a full wipe and reinstall but not restoring system settings with Titanium. I also seem to be prompted too frequently by Browser/Dolphin/Tapatalk default after I've already checked my choice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones