2. Wipe Cache/Dalvik/Factory reset/boot
    3. Flash the ROM.
    4. flash old firmware patch

no need to flash kernel(see #1 ;))

Advertisement
    NEXTLOVER and al23 like this.
  2. icedice34

icedice34 Well-Known Member

This confuses me........? See #1 where? I'm currently running Nils Business Sense, so I wouldn't think I'm on the same Kernel? I'm even more confused now...

*EDIT* Sorry, but it mentions several times installing the "boot.img" What is that?
  3. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

YOUR #1... "1. fastboot boot Amon Ra"

i have only said about a million times now on various threads that if you fastboot boot amon,it can write the kernel and you s-on guys will not have to flash the kernel seperately.

it will work,i promise.

so if the rom scripts are set up for the s-off crowd for recovery to install the kernel,or if you are restoring a backup, if you fastboot boot amon,you will not have to falsh seperately.

all you have to do is:
    1. fastboot boot Amon Ra
    3. Flash the ROM.

thats it... no need to make it more complicated than that.

if you want to install the kernel anyway,becasue youre using a permanent recovery,you think im making the whole thing up,or whatever other reason( :eek: ),it doesnt really matter when you install the kernel,it just needs installed sometime before you boot. however,the most logical order to me would be:
    1. boot Amon Ra
    3. Flash the ROM.
    5. flash kernel
    especially if youre installing the the kernel as a PH98IMG becasue you are not hooked to a PC.

since you are reluctant to become s-off,id pretty highly recomend you to try it:
    1. fastboot boot Amon Ra
    3. Flash the ROM.

and see for yourself it works. it may sway youy one dirction or the other to know that you can install roms just as easily as if you were s-off simply by fastboot booting amon :)
    chknhwk and al23 like this.
  4. icedice34

Scotty one thing I never do is doubt you! I was just confused. about the whole process. Here goes flashing Newts.

I'm a bit nervous about the whole S-Off thing mostly because I don't have the money to replace my phone if I brick it, and you've said over and over that being S-ON makes it nearly impossible to brick a phone. Thanks for all your help.

Again, I am curious though, what is the boot.img part? It is listed a couple times, but I'm not sure what it is and I can't seem to find anywhere that says.
  5. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

chknhwk and NEXTLOVER like this.
  6. icedice34

7. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

8. icedice34

9. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

10. icedice34

11. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

12. al23

al23 Well-Known Member

scotty85 likes this.
  13. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

al23 likes this.
  14. icedice34

I seem to be having an "issue" that I'm not sure about. My syncing data icon seems to always be on. Anybody else noticed this? Is this killing my battery with constant background sync?
  15. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

mine used to be on fairly often as well... id say it prolly is doing something,how much it may be affecting your battery life im not sure.

now i just keep sync off,and manually sync if i add a contact or calander event. if you dont have alot of stuff that you need to automatically sync,you might try keeping it off.
  16. icedice34

I get a lot of email. Manual sync of that would be annoying. It's weird it wasn't on until sometime today and now it won't shut off. Also, it used to spin I think, and now its not moving.
  17. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

hmm,yeah i dont think i really had that issue. i used to see it come on frequently,but i dont believe it stuck on permantly.
  18. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

i turned my sync back on last night. i realized it was preventing my weather app from updating. so far its not been on excessively,but ill watch it during the day today :)
  19. icedice34

Hmmm...so I installed Friday or Saturday. Realized Sunday afternoon sync was off. Turned it back on. That's when the logo came on. Tried reboots, shutting sync off, airplane mode, etc. Etc. Nothing changed. Last night went to bed with it on. This morning it appears to work like its supposed to, only showing when something is syncing. I'm guess maybe it just took 3 days to get everything synced? Weird...
  20. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

yeah that is wierd. ive had my sync on since i posted that,and ive only seen icon a couple of times. maybe you had alot to sync :eek:
  21. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

I'm liking this ROM, but I don't see the wireless tether option that is touted as being included. I see Verizon's hotspot app, but I assume that is still tied to their pricing, correct? I also see a post on the mikmik site that suggests that the boot.img file must be flashed for the tethering to work, but I did not flash that file per Scotty's advice when using a temporary recovery. Do I need to flash the extra file in order to get tethering working and/or do I need to download a 3rd party tethering app to make that work?

EDIT: I read the OP on this thread and it solved my problem.
  22. ntrnlerror9

ntrnlerror9 Active Member

trying to figure out what exactly is meant by "fastboot boot amon"
  23. icedice34

Amon is the recovery, amon ra. You'll need to read through scottys noon friendly root guide start to finish (sticky on this forum) and it should give you a better understanding
    ntrnlerror9 and scotty85 like this.
  24. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

Read the noob guide but I never figured out how to get adb to work and I still dont understand 'fastboot boot amon'..
    been on cleanrom de for many months now but kinda miss sense. guess i'll stick to just flashing the extra kernal. don't know if I am even going to change my cleanrom tho, just trying to wrap my head around how to do it in case i want to..lol
  25. NEXTLOVER

NEXTLOVER Active Member

Just installed this one & it's really sweet :D Not much different fr. the stock GB/3.6 one but it's smoother (no glitches or snags when scrolling) & my temp.'s been pretty low compared to the stock one. Battery life... we'll still have to see over the weekend. Will have a chance to test it out when I see the ex in-laws & know f'shure won't get a chance to leave 'em :mad: W/e sucks already.

Is it all right to delete the 3 zip files that we moved to the root of our sd cards? The ROM is like 600mb :( If not, that's fine! & does the Pandora widget work? For sum reason, I can't get it to work. I'll try again.

But so far, so good :D & this is coming fr. the neophytes of all noobs of ROM installers lol.
    scotty85 likes this.