• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Rom] Newts OnE XxX beta (Sense 4 ICS 4.0.3) 4/2/2012

Read the noob guide but I never figured out how to get adb to work and I still dont understand 'fastboot boot amon'..
been on cleanrom de for many months now but kinda miss sense. guess i'll stick to just flashing the extra kernal. don't know if I am even going to change my cleanrom tho, just trying to wrap my head around how to do it in case i want to..lol

to "fastboot boot amon" simply follow the directions in the noob guide for temporary recovery.

even if you keep a permanent recovery,follow the temp recovery directions when you want to flash a rom,or restore a bckup.

using the fastboot command
fastboot boot recoveryname.img
to launch amon_ra recovery into phone memory will let it install the kernel for you,making rom flashing and restoring much easier.

booting to a recovery that is permantly installed in the recovery partition will NOT write the boot image(kernel) and thus will need the kernel to be seperately installed.

to me,all the nonsense with trying to install the kernel as a PH98IMG is much more confusing and more of a hassle than simply launching recovery with the above fastboot command,but you are certainly welcome to use whatever methods you are comfortable with

Reactions: chknhwk
Upvote 0
Is it all right to delete the 3 zip files that we moved to the root of our sd cards? The ROM is like 600mb :( If not, that's fine! & does the Pandora widget work? For sum reason, I can't get it to work. I'll try again.

yes,you can defiantely delte the zip files after flasing the rom,you wont need them again after.

you may consider leaving the old firmware patch in on your sd,as you will need it if you decide to flash other ICS roms.but its not needed for proper function.

the pandora widget seems to be working fine... tho im still on 3.1.2(im a slacker :eek:) its been plaing for a couple of minutes. ive paused and played,liked,and skipped from the widget and so far so good. later ill update to 3.2.1 and see if it still works.

Upvote 0
The only problem I am having so far is with the camera. It works at first, but at some random point the app seems to lose connection with the hardware and the screen displays nothing. You can return to desktop and use other apps but going back to camera app is useless until I reboot.

The only other "camera" app I have installed is the barcode reader which I have had on a phone since the OG Droid.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

to me,all the nonsense with trying to install the kernel as a PH98IMG is much more confusing and more of a hassle than simply launching recovery with the above fastboot command,but you are certainly welcome to use whatever methods you are comfortable with

And soo many developers include the instructions for the kernel. And present such confusing instructions. For Nils, they refer to S-On with Aroma installer. I am not familiar with Aroma Installer, but it is enough of a wrinkle for me to be hesitant to use the rom. Even though I have flashed several roms by fastboot booting.

Upvote 0
Mine is not recognizing my SD card

that is a common issue that arrises from mismatched firmware. you need to flash the old firmware patch,and your sd should reappear :)
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/-Support_Files-/SuperChilPil/Old_Firmware_Patch.zip

The only problem I am having so far is with the camera. It works at first, but at some random point the app seems to lose connection with the hardware and the screen displays nothing. You can return to desktop and use other apps but going back to camera app is useless until I reboot.

The only other "camera" app I have installed is the barcode reader which I have had on a phone since the OG Droid.

hmm thats odd. my camera still works,but i dont take tons of pics. if you want to keep running this rom,try reflashing it without factory data reset. that way you wont have to reset it up

-fastboot boot amon
-make a backup
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-flash 3.1.2
-flash 3.2.1 update(or you could wait on this. flash it later,after the phone has booted and your camera prollem is fixed)
-flash old firmware patch if needed

Reactions: chknhwk
Upvote 0
And soo many developers include the instructions for the kernel. And present such confusing instructions. For Nils, they refer to S-On with Aroma installer. I am not familiar with Aroma Installer, but it is enough of a wrinkle for me to be hesitant to use the rom. Even though I have flashed several roms by fastboot booting.

does aroma give you an option to choose s-off? or does it check,and force you into the s-on procedure?

i am pretty sure that the main rom script is the same either way,but being s-on it should deposit a PH98IMG on the sd and boot you to fastboot after the install.

i am pretty sure that the kernel will get installed,wether you install it as a PH98IMG or not.

mebbe i am old fashioned,but for this reason i dont care for aroma installer. i personally prefer to just flash zips manually in recovery without a stupid installer asking me what stuff i want and dont want :rolleyes:

but,nonetheless,aroma should make it easy,in theory ;). it should ask you questions,flash all patches,then boot you to fastboot where you simply allow the update

dont be afraid to give it a shot. we can help you figure it out if something doesnt work right during the install. in a worse case,all you have to do is re-fastboot boot amon and restore a backup that youll make prior to flashing :D

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0
Do I just flash this after flashing the ROM?

yup. if the rom is workign and otherwise functional,you should be able to simply boot to or launch recovery and flash it now.

otherwise(if you have other quirks or reboots):
1. fastboot boot Amon Ra
2. Wipe Cache,Dalvik cache,Factory reset. optionally wipe: /boot and /system
3. Flash the ROM.
4. flash old firmware patch

Upvote 0
does aroma give you an option to choose s-off? or does it check,and force you into the s-on procedure?

i am pretty sure that the main rom script is the same either way,but being s-on it should deposit a PH98IMG on the sd and boot you to fastboot after the install.

i am pretty sure that the kernel will get installed,wether you install it as a PH98IMG or not.

mebbe i am old fashioned,but for this reason i dont care for aroma installer. i personally prefer to just flash zips manually in recovery without a stupid installer asking me what stuff i want and dont want :rolleyes:

but,nonetheless,aroma should make it easy,in theory ;). it should ask you questions,flash all patches,then boot you to fastboot where you simply allow the update

dont be afraid to give it a shot. we can help you figure it out if something doesnt work right during the install. in a worse case,all you have to do is re-fastboot boot amon and restore a backup that youll make prior to flashing :D

I prefer the manual approach too, using the cmd function from my computer. Better the devil you know...

I am pretty sure i can install the way i had been doing before (following your guide). But I will look into it before trying it.

I haven't used Aroma, so I cannot say whether it gives the option to s-off.

For now I am trying to decide between Nils and one of the desensed roms. If I try Nils, I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
yes,you can defiantely delte the zip files after flasing the rom,you wont need them again after.

you may consider leaving the old firmware patch in on your sd,as you will need it if you decide to flash other ICS roms.but its not needed for proper function.

the pandora widget seems to be working fine... tho im still on 3.1.2(im a slacker :eek:) its been plaing for a couple of minutes. ive paused and played,liked,and skipped from the widget and so far so good. later ill update to 3.2.1 and see if it still works.

Thanks scotty. Good idea on leaving the Patch.

I solved the Pandora widget problem by installing Apex Launcher. Not only did this make the widget appear, but it also fixed the forced-closing issue. Sense is nice and all, but I miss the scrolling dock.

So... have you installed a new boot image? I was looking at all the available tweaks & mods at the mikmik forum, and I must say, I am VERY tempted :D

Edit: Is it safe to do a factory reset on this ROM? After installing DspManager (got it fr. xdaforums, someone swore it worked in ICS Rezound), everytime I plug in the Beats headphones it would bootloop until I unplug it. So be careful abt. installing system apps!

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Volume+ is bundled with Newts ROM. It is based on DSPManager, so trying to install DSPManager is probably causing a conflict. Personally, I have ran into some issues getting Android to recognize Volume+ as a filter. When you first run it, it tells you to change something in the Android Settings app, but when you try to do so, Settings force-closes. I did some digging and I'm pretty sure it's a bug with the ROM, but Volume + may still work for you.

I don't have a problem using my Beats headphones with newts, so try uninstalling DSPManager and just using Volume+.

Reactions: NEXTLOVER
Upvote 0
Volume+ is bundled with Newts ROM. It is based on DSPManager, so trying to install DSPManager is probably causing a conflict. Personally, I have ran into some issues getting Android to recognize Volume+ as a filter. When you first run it, it tells you to change something in the Android Settings app, but when you try to do so, Settings force-closes. I did some digging and I'm pretty sure it's a bug with the ROM, but Volume + may still work for you.

I don't have a problem using my Beats headphones with newts, so try uninstalling DSPManager and just using Volume+.

Thanks. I just ended up re-flashing the ROM. I get so app-happy that I end up installing/uninstalling so much crap (that I don't even need) that my phone was so messed up lol. Xloud is awesome though. This was the selling point for me to install this ROM :)

Upvote 0
well the XDA thread has been locked today, and since nobody was awnsering my questions maybe ill shoot here.
Been running Newts oneXXX for about a week but I cant get anything flash to work in the browser. Also been having issues with the youtube app loading anything at all.
Is anyone else having this issue?? Its driving me nuts. The youtube website wont even play videos. This is kind of a deal breaker for me. Nobody in the xda thread would even acknowledge the problem so I think maybe it's just me, or everyone in that thread doesnt use their phone to watch anything online.. lol

So if it isnt just me, can someone recommend a sense 4 rom that has full flash support??

putting "flash" and "rom" into google is a nightmare in this situation

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones