• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Official Evervolv | 3.2.0a1 [AOSP 4.2.1]

Ok, so I flashed the KK build, and phone reboots before I can even get data set up. When it calls *22899 and starts that process everything seemed ok for about a minute and then reboot. I tried skipping that part and it seemed ok for a bit, but kept lagging and locking up temporarily. Phone gets really hot even though settings say its only clocked to 1200. I usually run at 1800 without any real heat issue so I don't know what's happening here.
To make matters worse, the NAND backup I made right before flashing this failed the MD5 check so I'm just reinstalling the ROM I've been running lately because I need a working phone at least.
It was really exciting to see KK actually boot on this phone and I'll be happy to try the next version. Right now I'm feeling like it might be getting time for a newer phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I flashed the KK build, and phone reboots before I can even get data set up. When it calls *22899 and starts that process everything seemed ok for about a minute and then reboot. I tried skipping that part and it seemed ok for a bit, but kept lagging and locking up temporarily. Phone gets really hot even though settings say its only clocked to 1200. I usually run at 1800 without any real heat issue so I don't know what's happening here.
To make matters worse, the NAND backup I made right before flashing this failed the MD5 check so I'm just reinstalling the ROM I've been running lately because I need a working phone at least.
It was really exciting to see KK actually boot on this phone and I'll be happy to try the next version. Right now I'm feeling like it might be getting time for a newer phone.

I noticed the phone freezing and grinding often during the initial set-up as well, but it cleared up after a while. I'm not sure what's causing that.

Upvote 0
I probably should have made sure I had a bit more time to mess with it when I flashed. It really was fun to see KK run at all on this device. You have really done a lot of work for this phone, and I do appreciate it.
I am now the proud owner of a new HTC One, and am waiting for the Kit Kat OTA right now.
I'll keep track of this thread and will be happy to help with anything for the good old Design/Hero S, although I don't have cell service on it at all anymore.

Upvote 0
Nothing jumps out at me immediately from looking over this logcat. Can you capture one while it's booting? On Linux you'd reboot the phone and do something like this before the boot animation:
Code:
$ adb logcat > ~/logcat

Okay, I got a logcat during boot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcnonh6kheumrew/logcat.txt

It's longer than the previous one since it includes all the boot info, so I hope it will have more helpful information.

Upvote 0
The KitKat build is very much a mostly untested preview I literally threw together in one day thanks to the effort of the rest of the Evervolv team (who are some awesome people, by the way). I don't have Sprint service anymore so anything related to mobile data, SMS, MMS, or calling is something I can only work on blindly. I'm really poking around out of curiosity at this point. Right now my focus is on the camera because not only has it been a problem for every AOSP build so far, but I'm interested in how the whole thing works from the SPI/I2C interface to the kernel to the HAL to the frameworks to the apps. We have the source code to every single one of those except that our family of devices got left behind and the latest Qualcomm camera HAL from the Code Aurora Forums is designed for a V4L2 and ION-based kernel driver, which we don't have and may never have.

I've spent the last couple of weeks researching kernel drivers and every option I can think of to make the camera work well on a modern build of AOSP. I've considered userland wrappers, kernel level wrappers for both the camera and one for PMEM->ION, modifying the new V4L2 HAL to use our old camera driver, backporting a newer driver, different ways of combining PMEM and ION support in the kernel, and even writing a totally new HAL from scratch. All of these options require a good amount of effort and a deep understanding of the hardware and software stack, and I'm just not quite there yet.

It's all really fascinating to me though and I love doing this sort of thing in my spare time, I just wish I had a bit more professional help.

That being said, I push nearly everything I do to my GitHub account and eventually to Evervolv if it works, so anyone is free to see what I'm doing and get in touch or submit pull requests if they want to help.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep doing research when I can because after all this effort and dealing with pointless drama, all I want is some closure. I want to see a ROM worth using on this phone and others like it, even if I've moved on to newer things. I feel like it's such a waste for HTC to build all these phones and abandon them with half-baked software built and released as an afterthought, especially with the ever-improving AOSP so close to working.

TL;DR: I'm focusing on the camera right now, hopefully someone with actual service will help with 3G. Now that I think about it, it's probably a missing prop because I tossed a bunch when I cleaned the vendor repo.

Upvote 0
Any updates on the KK rom ss2man44? I saw your last posting but I am not familiar with all the tech language. I followed the link to your github, use is 404, evolv link send me back in here and the Evol github sent me to a list of I guess programing. SO when I get there, how do I know if they are completed works? Or how do I know a rom for this phone? Or simply will you just keep updating the initial link in the first page of the thread?

Just asking!

Upvote 0
Woah, that was fast. So the first post is the current status quo! Right now Iam on BLue Kingdom (no lock version) and I am confy there. But I like to try these other roms and see what they bring.

Oh I am one of those FreedomPop people with the Design phone. I already posted about this and other roms back at the FreedomPop forums, so there might be more traffic coming to these pages looking for roms for their refurbished phones.
Just thought I'd mention that.

I look forward to trying out your rom and offering feedback.
Thank you for your work.

Upvote 0
Quick little update: I got the camera working as well as it was in Jellybean, which means still no front camera or camcorder. Fixing those two things might not be so hard anymore with the information we've gained since I started.

The fix is very hacky and the Evervolv guys are working on a real solution, but for now at least I can move on.

EDIT: Front cam works now. Next is camcorder.

Reactions: sparco
Upvote 0
Quick little update: I got the camera working as well as it was in Jellybean, which means still no front camera or camcorder. Fixing those two things might not be so hard anymore with the information we've gained since I started.

The fix is very hacky and the Evervolv guys are working on a real solution, but for now at least I can move on.

Is there a link to this rom with the fixes? Or is in the link to the previous post?

Upvote 0

awesome, I'm terrible at fixing the cam

Upvote 0

Hi! Now what circumstance? With the new version?

Upvote 0
I don't know how active this thread is but I would like to thank the team for their work! I had been having some issues flashing any rom to my device, downloaded both files added to root of sd card booted recovery flashed both and all went smooth as silk. This is currently an inactive phone but I'm going to activate it on TING if possible so will post further information later. Lot's of love sent out to all the hard working devs\mods out there that work to make our lives much more pleasant!!!

Phone:
HBOOT screen
pvt kingdom ship S-ON
Hboot 1.32.000
radio 1.11.00.1116
emmc boot
november 29, 2012

Phone:
hardware v. 0002
software 3.14.651.0710RD
android 4.0.3
sense 3.6
PRI 2.97_003
PRL 51097
Kernel 3.0.16-68AB725F
Baseband 2.0.36W.30.0815U_2.11.00.1116

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones