• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [UNOFFICIAL][CAF][4.4.4] Omnirom Beta 2

whoshotjr2006

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2012
Ohio
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU CONTINUE ANY FURTHER!!!! DEV INFO IS IN 2ND POST.

NEWS:
Build updated. This one now uses bad_mofo's cm12.1 caf kernel which also brings us overclocked processor, fast charge, etc. Should be an all around smoother experience.

CHANGELOG:
061315: added Bad_MOFO_33's cm12.1 caf kernel

DISCLAIMER:
i do not force you to flash these roms. what you do is on you. ill try to help you, but do not blame me for anything, especially if something goes wrong. you know the risk, and if you dont know or understand something, then dont flash this rom.

TAKE A GOOD BACKUP WITH TWRP BEFORE FLASHING!

RECOMMENDED RECOVERY:
TWRP lollipop link:
http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-twrp-2-8-5-0-lollipop.902943/

Working:
Anything that is not listed below

half working:
Green tint on back camera on some volts
NFC needs some fixup, waiting for logcats
Youtube: Open settings in video, disable HQ video stream for now.
Camcorder: Use Camu or something like it from google play store

not working:
dt2w (double tap to wake)
bluetooth
ir blaster
you tell me

NOTE: Get a gps lock in stock rom or whichever rom you had before with working gps before you flash this. This is a quirk with many qcom based phones, if you dont get a lock before you flash this your gps probably wont work.

Flash the rom, then the gapps package of your choice (kitkat gapps) and then flash either the Virgin or Boost apn fix below.

Thanks to Mopedryder for both:

Virgin APN Fix:
http://androidforums.com/threads/mo...apn-fix-wip-cm-aosp-4-4-x.840298/#post6516416

Boost APN Fix:
http://androidforums.com/threads/mod-universal-boost-apn-fix-for-d2lte-builds-mod.840501/

FLASH SUPERSU WHEN YOU FLASH THIS ZIP! Otherwise you wont be able to use root features. Omnirom does not have any root management baked in so flash the following zip:

https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU

Rom Download Link:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347759528

Last edited:
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is sound working? I'm downloading now, should I use the kitkat twrp? I flashed the lollipop version a few days back. Thanks as always for your hard work man!!

Sorry forgot to mention explicitly in the title that this is a kitkat rom. You can use either twrp-kk or twrp-lpop to flash, and yes sound is working. SMS is also working with the stock app! Mms is broke, but its an apn issue that im tracking down. There are graphical glitches, but no more than cm11. Everything that works in cm11 should be working in this, except for the security menu under settings and the button backlights.

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
@whoshotjr2006 I have the ROM up and running now. It's a little on the shaky side, and that's definitely to be expected. During the install process I noticed that I could not activate my phone so I got a prompt to try it again in settings so I'll try that again in a bit, I restored my apps using Google play but for some reason it pulled double apks of each app that was installed, not exactly sure why but all the apps did install. I tried security option in settings like you said and it did indeed crash like you said so installing apps from unknown sources is a no go for now, not a biggie for me ATM. I did try calling and probably because I didn't activate the phone the telephone app hung until I force closed it and then the phone rebooted...another small note, remember to flash supersu with this ROM if you want root access. I didn't have it initially so I just flashed chainfire's newest version and it restored root. Great work overall man,sound and video work and once I get data working I'm sure that's fine too. Here is my first logcat hope it helps, I'll post another tommorow as well.

*edit* I switched over to 3g and calling works with sound now as well as sms. Another side note, changing the performance profile from interactive to on demand crashes the phone but performance works but drains battery a little quicker.

Attachments

• 2015-02-18-18-11-52.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never heard of this rom, is there any way you could post screen shots?
here are some screenshots
2015_02_18_18.33.14.png
2015_02_18_18.33.33.png
2015_02_18_18.33.24.png
2015_02_18_18.32.42.png

Upvote 0
Sound was not working from a fresh flash with twrp lollipop.
Played with governors a bit and after a reboot my phone would load to the lockscreen then reboot itself. It did this three or four times then just shutoff.
I was also playing with the active display and the omni recent menu, so I can't honestly say what caused my reboots. I will flash again later and play some more.
Thanks for this! Nice to see some variety on this phone.
Have you ever seen liquid smooth or chameleon? I'm not sure if those are still being updated but where some of my favorites on previous phones.

Reactions: whoshotjr2006
Upvote 0
this weekend im probably taking my computer to my buddys house and plan to download all i need to start building the roms. my connection tops out at 125KB/s download and and buddys its typically at least 2.5MB/s and ive seen it hit 4MB/s. wonder how long it would take to compile as i have a xeon x5450, 8GB of DDR2 and a ssd but i would either be running it from a vm or installing ubuntu on my 2tb hdd.
From what I know, I'd say opt for the latter. Ubuntu would be a much nicer building environment, as well as the fact is the 2TB drive.

Reactions: whoshotjr2006
Upvote 0
Rom is pretty great so far from what I've tested. The only issues I have come across have already been said, security settings crashes and the phone reboots when attempting to uninstall an app. (No biggie). Good job really like Omni!!

Edit: Also battery life has increased a lot compared to CM11, it's about as good as stock if not better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this weekend im probably taking my computer to my buddys house and plan to download all i need to start building the roms. my connection tops out at 125KB/s download and and buddys its typically at least 2.5MB/s and ive seen it hit 4MB/s. wonder how long it would take to compile as i have a xeon x5450, 8GB of DDR2 and a ssd but i would either be running it from a vm or installing ubuntu on my 2tb hdd.

Go for a native Ubuntu install, build times will be much much smaller that way especially with your Xeon and 8gb ram setup. I'm at about 3 hours on a crappy i3 4gb ram and 5400 rpm laptop drive, so I'm willing to bet yours would be a lot faster.

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
Expect an update hopefully tonight. SMS and MMS working, security menu working, and NFC working. 3g working fine but LTE apns screwed up at the moment.

I don't use NFC and have no clue what all you can do with it, so when I post the update im gonna need you guys to check things out and lemme know if something doesn't work. I know android beam worked, I beamed a website between my volt and my gnex just fine. Bluetooth doesn't turn on, button lights dont either, I'm investigating it. I'll post an updated list with the ROM later of what I know works and doesn't work, and what I need you guys to test.

Its been a long road and its not over, but things are falling into place nicely.

Upvote 0
So far..
MMS would not work on stock app. Textra is working for me..VM

Bluetooth does not work
Don't know about NFC

Camera works, camcorder does not.

3g works
Calls work
Sound works..vibrate too

MMS sent fine for me on the stock app, I just had to make sure network was set to 2g/3g only. I did notice the stock rom puts a 1 in front of all my phone numbers in contacts, and the custom roms dont seem to like it, could be the cause. With a 1 in front of my gf's number I couldn't send her SMS or MMS, but without it I could.

Also I don't know if SMS/MMS works with WiFi on. I know in the first alpha I uploaded it didn't. Couldn't send or receive while WiFi was on, I'll try to test it again.

Thanks for testing stuff out, I'm hoping to make this a finished product here soon. Having more luck with omni than cm at this point in terms of Dev work.

Upvote 0
Noticed another small issue..
When selecting recovery from power menu the phone will just reboot..almost like a soft reboot because of how quick it boots

Edit:
My WiFi password has cleared itself twice now

Fixing the reboot recovery issue now, haven't had WiFi password clear itself yet. Can you try to catch a logcat?

Also, I haven't looked into liquid smooth or chameleon yet, but will in the future if nobody beats me to it. I'd like to also roll a vanir build of possible for the volt, I love that ROM on gnex.

Reactions: adamhos1234
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones