• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] One rom to rule them all... | Droid Incredible

Scripts
Can be run from within Android, or via ADB.

sysro -Mounts system as read only and syncs the OS (not data sync)
sysrw- Mounts system as read write
rem_vvm- removes visual voice mail
rem_hot- removes 3G hotspot
rem_ba- removes backup assistant
v_lock- removes HTC lockscreen
rem_foot- removes HTC Footprints

Advanced scripts
These should be run from clockwork recovery via adb. A data wipe is HIGHLY recommended after running any of them. Running them from within Android is a risky ordeal.
BEFORE running these, you need to mount /system and mount /sdcard from the partitions menu (or for newer versions, Mount and unmount partitions menu).

To enter the shell to run these via adb:

Code:
adb shell
cd /system/xbin/
./frank-Installs frankenrom b3.
./vanilla- Removes Sense and enables Vanilla rom based on 2nd leak. This also works for Frankenrom!

adrynalyne,

Being a noob at shell commands I was tripped up a second when I tried to use the command ./frank-Installs frankenrom b3.

for everyone like me .... it should be ./frank

The rest of that line is a description ... - Installs FrankenROM b3.... I took it to literally.

Upvote 0
Ok - so just want to double check my work before I try this....

first I clockwork recovery and install the unrevoked-forever.zip
then I HBOOT update to the new radio (PB31IMG.zip)
then back in to clockwork to install precioussssss.zip

if everything still works at this point in time - I go in to adb and

adb shell
cd /system/xbin/
./frank

and then I should be running FrankenROM B4?

then I can go back in to Titanium and start to restore my apps again?

Upvote 0
wow thats um a lot to absorb....

now I'm scared to try these....maybe I'll just stick with FrankenROM B2

I'm in the same boat. I do strongly believe that adrynalyne should do whatever makes it easiest for him. After all, he isn't obligated to make any ROMs for us and he is the only DInc "chef," that I am aware of that is extremely responsive to concerns, open to feedback, etc. (And if you haven't bought him a beer, then shame on you! :)).

However, the command line/adb aspects are a bit much for me. I am sure that I have the aptitude to learn it, but just haven't had the time to do so. I much prefer the "traditional" download/install process; so, I've stuck with B2.

I do appreciate all of the work that adrynalyne has done and all of the help he provides to this community. I've enjoyed his presence on this Board so much, that I may have to follow him from device to device. :)

Upvote 0
Ok - so just want to double check my work before I try this....

first I clockwork recovery and install the unrevoked-forever.zip
then I HBOOT update to the new radio (PB31IMG.zip)
then back in to clockwork to install precioussssss.zip

if everything still works at this point in time - I go in to adb and

adb shell
cd /system/xbin/
./frank

and then I should be running FrankenROM B4?

then I can go back in to Titanium and start to restore my apps again?

Yes, you should also run a data wipe/factory reset after install precioussssss.zip .

Upvote 0
For those that were able to successfully do the radio update, maybe you can help me out. I got the unrevoked forever part successfully completed and verified. I downloaded the new radio zip file (12.49 MB if that sounds right), and placed it on my sdcard, in the main folder. Based on the instructions, I was under the impression that it would automatically see the file and ask me to update, but it's not. It's saved as PB31IMG. When it didn't ask me to update automatically, I tried to install by choosing select zip from sd card, but it looks like it runs for a millisecond, then puts me back on the main clockworkmod menu without doing anything. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
For those that were able to successfully do the radio update, maybe you can help me out. I got the unrevoked forever part successfully completed and verified. I downloaded the new radio zip file (12.49 MB if that sounds right), and placed it on my sdcard, in the main folder. Based on the instructions, I was under the impression that it would automatically see the file and ask me to update, but it's not. It's saved as PB31IMG. When it didn't ask me to update automatically, I tried to install by choosing select zip from sd card, but it looks like it runs for a millisecond, then puts me back on the main clockworkmod menu without doing anything. Any help is appreciated.

Did you check to make sure your SD card is formatted to FAT32

Upvote 0
Radio updates HAVE to be done via HBOOT. Otherwise you risk potentially bricking your phone.

Hold down the power button - select to power off.
Once your phone is powered down - hold volume down + power button
Once HBOOT initializes and starts to read your sdcard it will see the radio update as long as it's in the root of your sdcard and give you the option to update.

Upvote 0
OK, then I'm definitely doing something wrong.. it isn't giving me the option to update. I have the file in the main folder of the sdcard, so unless it's supposed to go in to a subfolder, it's in the right place. How do I check to see if it's set to FAT32? That might be the problem. Also, I don't know if this matters, but in HBOOT, it looks like my version is .77.

Upvote 0
OK, then I'm definitely doing something wrong.. it isn't giving me the option to update. I have the file in the main folder of the sdcard, so unless it's supposed to go in to a subfolder, it's in the right place. How do I check to see if it's set to FAT32? That might be the problem. Also, I don't know if this matters, but in HBOOT, it looks like my version is .77.

Connect your phone to your pc/mac...under PC options select Disk drive to mount your phone storage and sdcard. You should then be able to look at the properties to determine the file system it's formatted in.

Upvote 0
Just for those of us that take a little longer to catch on to some of this and whose home computers don't have internet and work computers don't allow cmd access to C: drive at all will we be able to get a Senseless Frankenrom version of the one in this. I would be interested in getting some of the stuff back. Mostly Flickr and Teeter. B3 with the Hydra Kernel is awesome but from the description this Frankenrom will be more like what I want but I don't want the massive ROM and I currently don't have a computer with both network access and ADB at the same time. I lost all the recovery disks to my laptop so I am still on the hunt for the wireless driver so I can either FWcutter it or NDISWrap it. I am getting ready for school so I needed to wipe out Microsoft with the Virus it had and Linux only my mug. Tradeoff is the loss of wifi temporarily.

Any chance a Senseless Frankenrom like the one available in this mug would be available separately?

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if the issue was the file system it's formatted in. I've been able to install all sorts of stuff from the SD card without a problem, including the original radio update to 2.05. I can't mount to the computer right now though because I'm at work so I'll have to check this tonight. Just to verify, the file doesn't need to be changed to update.zip instead of PB31IMG.zip, correct? I think I remember running it as update.zip for the 2.05 update.

Also, could it matter that I downloaded the zip right on my phone and then moved it to the sdcard through Astro? Not sure if it has to be downloaded via PC.

Upvote 0
This may have been asked somewhere already but, will Super Circle Battery run on Frank?

Nevermind, found my answer completely missed the "Confirmed Working" section of that post. 8/9/10 Super Circle Battery (From Desire- Filled) - NEW GOODIES - xda-developers

I'd be surprised if the issue was the file system it's formatted in. I've been able to install all sorts of stuff from the SD card without a problem, including the original radio update to 2.05. I can't mount to the computer right now though because I'm at work so I'll have to check this tonight. Just to verify, the file doesn't need to be changed to update.zip instead of PB31IMG.zip, correct? I think I remember running it as update.zip for the 2.05 update.

Also, could it matter that I downloaded the zip right on my phone and then moved it to the sdcard through Astro? Not sure if it has to be downloaded via PC.

File shouldn't have to be renamed. Corrupt download maybe? Probably try to download again from adrynalyne's blog and check the MD5.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help. I'll try deleting and re-installing on the phone 1 more time. If that doesn't work, I'll just wait and give it a shot when I get home.

On a side note, for those scripts on the instructions. Are they required, or once you install the .zip with the ROM, should I be good to go? I'm a serious noob with this ROM update stuff (as I'm sure you can tell), so I'd rather just remove a couple apps that I don't want and not mess with the sysrw/sysro type stuff.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help. I'll try deleting and re-installing on the phone 1 more time. If that doesn't work, I'll just wait and give it a shot when I get home.

On a side note, for those scripts on the instructions. Are they required, or once you install the .zip with the ROM, should I be good to go? I'm a serious noob with this ROM update stuff (as I'm sure you can tell), so I'd rather just remove a couple apps that I don't want and not mess with the sysrw/sysro type stuff.

Those are just convenience scripts to save you some typing, they aren't required.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones