• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][PORT] U9000-81 2.2.2 for the Triumph Updated:(12/16/12)

First of all it's the best Froyo ROM out there. I'm sorry Sharp ROM users but Sharp is just too much for my taste.
I think this ROM must be a replacement for Stock by default. If you just bought Triumph jump here, flash this ROM and enjoy. I mean everything works from the box.

I can't agree more with this part of Izzard's post- if I were to pick my favorite Froyo Rom for the MT, U9000 is definitely it, hands down. Just so many cool improvements in CM7 tho... ;)

You devs are the unsung heroes that make the MT worth keeping.

Reactions: BSydz
Upvote 0
It will be shame if this ROM dies somewhere in the forums.
It must be improved, pinned and recommended to every new comers as an option to fix all your problems (log files, gps, hdmi, battery life, bloatware removal and etc).

Say what you want but we don't have 100% working ROM right now. Every ROM is awesome in it's own way, yet it has some annoying bugs that I believe can be fixed.
This is not a demand, I'm sorry if my words came out a bit rush, this is just raising more awareness that we do have a golden egg-ROM with big potential to replace Stock completely (including Activate button), and never ever look back under any circumstances. We should not go back to stock to sell this phone on eBay, we should put this ROM and brag that we fixed what Motorola couldn't so the new buyers won't surf around to find how the hell phone with GPS can't lock for 40 minutes.

No matter how much I like CM7, and CM9 and even Sharp - this is the closest to perfection. I flash all of them all the time to help Devs to find bugs, play for a week, but I always come back to this one if I'm traveling, if I'm expecting a phone call, if I'm showing something to my friends on the big screen, if I watch HD movie... And same thing applies to GB Rom, the one with broken 3G. As far as I know it is the smoothest and the closest we have gotten to 2.3. The second 3G will be fixed I'm buying 4 more Triumph and using them for the rest of my life.

Upvote 0
It must be improved, pinned and recommended to every new comers as an option to fix all your problems (log files, gps, hdmi, battery life, bloatware removal and etc).

Say what you want but we don't have 100% working ROM right now. Every ROM is awesome in it's own way, yet it has some annoying bugs that I believe can be fixed.
This is not a demand, I'm sorry if my words came out a bit rush, this is just raising more awareness that we do have a golden egg-ROM with big potential to replace Stock completely (including Activate button), and never ever look back under any circumstances. We should not go back to stock to sell this phone on eBay, we should put this ROM and brag that we fixed what Motorola couldn't so the new buyers won't surf around to find how the hell phone with GPS can't lock for 40 minutes.

No matter how much I like CM7, and CM9 and even Sharp - this is the closest to perfection. I flash all of them all the time to help Devs to find bugs, play for a week, but I always come back to this one if I'm traveling, if I'm expecting a phone call, if I'm showing something to my friends on the big screen, if I watch HD movie... And same thing applies to GB Rom, the one with broken 3G. As far as I know it is the smoothest and the closest we have gotten to 2.3. The second 3G will be fixed I'm buying 4 more Triumph and using them for the rest of my life.

My hopes is CM9 will be the deal changer in time including HDMI. But you are correct this is the closets to perfect ROM we have. And yes the 2.3 GB rocks but I have yet to get data to work on it :( It's sad after all this time we don't have a fully functional ROM other than Froyo and even more sad is that Moto seems to have given us the final nail in or coffin

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
*If your Android 1.5-2.2 model is not listed here, it is not slated for any further major upgrades.

I really have to say I am pretty frustrated with this phone at this point and can see why so many people have left. But no matter what, I am not giving up! So screw you Moto and screw you VM! I am going to keep on, keeping on!!!!

Reactions: Inc0gnit0 and BSydz
Upvote 0

Thank you. Like I said, I understood what you were saying, but I am just basically up to my neck in this, and it is not easy. I just wanted you and others to understand the situation that I am in. I do appreciate your support and everybody elses. But, I am doing all I can. I'm not angry or anything like that, I am very straight forward and have no issues with conflict. Basically I have been working to get GB on our phone since I started, I understand everybody's pain, that is why I did the Triumph Experiment. I never really intended on becoming a dev, it just happened. I was planning on having this as a stock replacement, I had activation worked in before I even released it but took it out cause I hadn't got it quite right. The voicemail fix is the only thing that is actually stopping this from becoming the Stock replacement, cause I'm sure I can get activation working. I need to get my kernel skills a little more honed and figure out a few more things before I can make this in to a complete package. I am also working on a fix for 3G for GB, if we can get that we can take any one of the X6 variant ROMs except Sharp 2.3.5 and have them on our phone, talk about choices.

I appreciate everything you have done in this community and I feel the same way you do, I just can't do it yet. Me and G60 have been going back and forth with some ideas for quite a while on how to get the 3G fixed but it is a major pain. Hopefully we will get it working soon. Thanks again for your support and raising awareness about this ROM.

Reactions: Inc0gnit0
Upvote 0
It's sad after all this time we don't have a fully functional ROM other than Froyo and even more sad is that Moto seems to have given us the final nail in or coffin

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
*If your Android 1.5-2.2 model is not listed here, it is not slated for any further major upgrades.

To which I say "gimme my hundred bucks, ya f*****s!" ;)

Upvote 0
I cannot get the MTU fix to work on this ROM. I am typing the following commands from a terminal emulator:

Code:
su
[allow SuperUser to grant root access]
ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1500

Then I get this error:

Code:
error: SIOCSIFMTU (Invalid argument)

I check the MTU by performing this command:

Code:
cat /sys/class/net/rmnet0/mtu

and it's still showing 1472. The MTU fix worked fine on the Sharp ROM while I was using it... Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that I'm not using the custom kernel (yet) - I'm using the Kernel supplied with the ROM in the first post.

Upvote 0
I cannot get the MTU fix to work on this ROM. I am typing the following commands from a terminal emulator:

Code:
su
[allow SuperUser to grant root access]
ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1500
Then I get this error:

Code:
error: SIOCSIFMTU (Invalid argument)
I check the MTU by performing this command:

Code:
cat /sys/class/net/rmnet0/mtu
and it's still showing 1472. The MTU fix worked fine on the Sharp ROM while I was using it... Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that I'm not using the custom kernel (yet) - I'm using the Kernel supplied with the ROM in the first post.
Your edit hit the nail on the head. The custom kernels unlock the MTU to be able to set it to 1500, you can set it to what ever you want under 1472 on the original kernel. I have to redo the whole kernel cause my folder got mangled while I was trying to put my Ver8 kernel together. I'll spend some time tonight getting the kernel started. For now the custom kernel is in the second post.

Upvote 0
Your edit hit the nail on the head. The custom kernels unlock the MTU to be able to set it to 1500, you can set it to what ever you want under 1472 on the original kernel. I have to redo the whole kernel cause my folder got mangled while I was trying to put my Ver8 kernel together. I'll spend some time tonight getting the kernel started. For now the custom kernel is in the second post.

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification BSydz. I'm updating to custom kernel now then. I was holding off using the custom kernel while I tested the ROM out to see if I had any issues first and, if not, I was going to upgrade. The only issues I seem to have with the U9000 & Sharp ROMs so far are that Bluetooth keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly while listening to music / podcasts over my Bluetooth headphones and I have also noticed that I'm having a lot of issues with my data. The data issues may be VM related, but I'm still troubleshooting that (and hoping the MTU has something to do with it).

Upvote 0
So I just thought I would post my experience with the U9000 and Sharp ROMs because I ended up having to go back to CM7.2.

I was really loving both the Sharp and U9000 ROM's because, at first, it seemed everything just seemed to work the way it should. I missed stuff from CM7 & CM9 but I really needed the phone to be stable and I really need GPS and Bluetooth to work because I use them a lot, especially when exercising (running / biking). So I started off with the Sharp ROM and I noticed that Bluetooth would intermittently disconnect and reconnect (GPS was most likely active during these disconnects so I don't know if it's somehow related). That was pretty annoying but then the phone kept spontaneously rebooting during my runs or when using Google Navigation - it only seemed to reboot when GPS was active. I figured it might have something to do with the launcher so I moved to the U9000 ROM since I preferred the stock launcher anyway. Unfortunately I had the same exact issues with the U9000 ROM. I got frustrated because I was losing my workouts (GPS data) when the phone would reboot, so to really narrow down that it was the ROM and not another app I installed the U9000 ROM from scratch and only installed Endomondo Pro and nothing else. Two runs in a row the phone rebooted about an hour or so into the run. When I installed the ROM I not only did a factory reset / wipe cache / wipe davlik, but I also did a Format Cache / Format Data / Format System before installing the U9000 ROM, so definitely nothing was left behind. Of course I verified the MD5's matched after moving it to the SD Card and the zip files tested okay. On both ROM's I was using the newest kernels listed in the threads and not the kernels in the first posts.

Just thought I should put this out there as I expect that I use GPS much more than the average person.

Upvote 0
I have an issue using Incredicontrol. I've installed the U9000 custom kernel and my settings for overclock & underclock don't seem to be sticking. I change the governor to smartassv2 and min frequency to 61400 but every now and then, it reverts back to min 245760 and ondemand. Any ideas? o_O
There is an issue with some apps not having the settings stick, I have used no-frills with out issue. This was my first kernel so there are a few issues that I want to address before I release another one and put it in the ROM.
Hey bsydz, why does the updater-scripr mount system using the emmc parameter then using the mtd parametric?
I use android kitchen to build and sign my ROMs and to extract boot images cause it is easy and that is one of the first tools I used when I started out, I can almost just type in numbers with out looking at the screen now. I believe it does that for the X6 permissions, it always worked so I left it alone. I think I have seen it in other ROMs also, but I may be mistaken cause I have used more X6 ROMs than Triumph ROMs on my phone.:D I'll look in to it though, now that I have a better understanding of everything.

Reactions: exProphecy
Upvote 0
This was my first kernel so there are a few issues that I want to address before I release another one and put it in the ROM.

After using CM7 for a week I came running back to U9000 :). While I applaud Chairshots efforts to improve GPS on CM7, the Sharp and U9000 ROM's are leaps and bounds better in terms of GPS, not only in lock times but in accuracy as well. Battery drain on the Froyo ROM's is also noticeably better but I think that's already been well established so nothing new there.

Right now I'm sticking with the kernel packaged with the ROM in post #1 as I don't need over/underclocking nor tethering. I only have one run in so far on this new install but it didn't crash, although when it was crashing before it was intermittent. I'm looking forward to any new kernels. Any chance that the kernel could have been the cause of the crashing when GPS is running for extended periods? It always seemed to happen right around the one hour mark, although not always - one time it crashed about 3 mins in and I had just rebooted the phone shortly before the run.

Upvote 0
Ok...so i failed to pay my plan 2 days ago...no data or texting...but i can still make and recieve calls...vm site say account is suspended but i still have full use for incoming and out going calls...anyone else seeing this?

Can't imagine it will last long- have you rebooted the phone during that time? I've noticed some account-related changes take place with a reboot.

Upvote 0
What's up guys, I just finished building a new kernel for the Sharp ROM and got it put together for the U9000 ROM. I need this thing thoroughly tested. I have it running on my dev phone, just need some feedback. I updated everything from the touchscreen drivers to the wimax drivers and tons of stuff in between. Let me know how everything is working, or not working.

U9000 Custom Kernel Test 6.zip

Change log:
OC added
Swap enabled

Driver changed:
Video
Touchscreen
LED
Network
USB
Audio
Camera
Wimax

Added support for:
Filesystems:
ext4
JDB2
Rieserfs
ISO9660
NTFS
QNX4FS
CIFS

Other:
UTF8

And too many others to list.

Upvote 0
What's up guys, I just finished building a new kernel for the Sharp ROM and got it put together for the U9000 ROM. I need this thing thoroughly tested. I have it running on my dev phone, just need some feedback. I updated everything from the touchscreen drivers to the wimax drivers and tons of stuff in between. Let me know how everything is working, or not working.

I'll definitely be giving this a try, I just wanted to test on the kernel packaged with the ROM in the first post a little further. So far I've had no bluetooth disconnects or GPS reboots but I've only been able to squeeze in 2 one-hour runs since I've had it on there and haven't had GPS and bluetooth active at the same time. If it would stop raining here I could put it to the test :)

Upvote 0
Okay, so I've got 5 or 6 one-hour runs with the ver2 original kernel (7/15/12) and it the phone has not rebooted yet. One time while using Bluetooth and GPS simultaneously Bluetooth disconnected and reconnected twice in a 3 minute period. This past week I haven't used BT and GPS simultaneously as much as I usually do but it was definitely worse in the "try3" kernel. I'm installing the "Test 6" kernel tonight and I will report back. I may take the CM9 test build that g60 dropped today for a spin too.

Upvote 0
I've had the "Test 6" kernel installed for about 24 hours now and noticed a few issues. Shortly after installing the new kernel (wiped cache & davlik cache) I was listening to a podcast over Bluetooth (GPS off) and it disconnected and reconnected. That only happened once so far though, but I've never had that happen with the ver2 kernel unless GPS was on and I have a lot of hours of listening to music / podcasts over Bluetooth with the ver2 kernel.

Shortly after that I turned on GPS to see how quickly it would lock and to see how many sat's it would grab (with Bluetooth off) and it initially locked to two sat's but the SNR levels in GPS Test weren't changing and were just static. I left it on for a few minutes and nothing changed - no new sat's and the SNR levels were stuck. I closed GPS Test and ate dinner and did some other stuff for a couple of hours and came back and tried again and GPS was working normally, but I didn't leave it on for more than a minute or so that time.

Also, I've noticed that it keeps dropping cell / data signal (twice so far) and I have to toggle airplane mode to get them to come back.

Upvote 0
Sounds like possibly a bad install...i had the signal/3g drop on my girlfriends phone and it stopped after a fully fresh installation

Nope, I was running the "ver2" kernel for a week with no issues at all. I didn't install the entire ROM from scratch - I just installed the test kernel as there is no need to do a complete re-install when changing kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones