• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Proper port of CM7 for the Optimus C

Which recovery you using? I'm using Tom's and it gave me the same error. Do we need the cwm recovery?
I would highly recommend it. The recovery Tom stole the dev wasnt happy about him putting out for ppl to use, from what I was told anyhow.

The CWM I ported has be verified as working great by all who has used it. And I have it submitted to koush to be merged into rom manager too. ;)

And I'll have to repackage the mms fix for it to work. I have been told several times it isnt flashing.

Upvote 0
I would highly recommend it. The recovery Tom stole the dev wasnt happy about him putting out for ppl to use, from what I was told anyhow.

The CWM I ported has be verified as working great by all who has used it. And I have it submitted to koush to be merged into rom manager too. ;)

And I'll have to repackage the mms fix for it to work. I have been told several times it isnt flashing.

I like your recovery better. The only thing is I like to control what exactly gets backed up with nandroid. Any chance of that being added?

Upvote 0
I like your recovery better. The only thing is I like to control what exactly gets backed up with nandroid. Any chance of that being added?
That one would be on koush I just ported CWM to the OC lol. You do know that with a nandroid it does it by partitions and you can just restore the data.img etc.

Upvote 0
Update:

- Used Flash Image GUI to install CWM.
- Used CWM to install the latest build of CM7 (08212011-build 2).
- Used CWM to install gapps.

Everything went fine with a couple of notes:

- When I try to "power off" the handset it reboots instead. ?

- Had issue waking up from screen off. Turning off the screen on/off animations fixed it, as noted in the wiki.

- The gapps install after reboot is a little buggy -- but was able to work around it. After installing gapps and rebooting, I am prompted to "slide open the keyboard" in order to enter my account info. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to open a virtual keyboard. I skipped this and went on with the download of the google apps. The first app to start downloading was Gmail, which bombed at 47%. None of the other apps I selected downloaded. However, I was now able to go to the market and download/install from there. I entered my google account info using google contacts app menu.

- No idea if bluetooth is working as I don't have any devices to try.

- MMS works.

- GPS does not work. I have tried turning if on/off and turning airplane mode on/off. I have never seen the GPS icon at the top of my screen. When I try to use google maps navigation, it says "searching for GPS..." at the bottom of the screen and I sit indefinitely at a busy prompt that says "Waiting for location".

Besides the GPS issue, I'm really enjoying CM7 on the Optimus C. So thanks to PlayfulGod, BobZhome, sillyputtyddd and everyone who contributed and tested the port up to this point! And thanks to papasmurf520 for the nice installation walkthrough. Made me way less jittery. ;)

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

Anybody ran into this error message yet when trying to download an app from the market:

"Error downloading [application name]. There is insufficient space on the device."

However, when I check my storage space, I see this:

SD Card
Total Space 1.84GB
Available Space 1.68GB

Internal Storage
Total Space 201MB
Available Space 121MB

Is this a partitioning issue perhaps? What else might cause this?

Upvote 0
Hmmm...

Anybody ran into this error message yet when trying to download an app from the market:

"Error downloading [application name]. There is insufficient space on the device."

However, when I check my storage space, I see this:

SD Card
Total Space 1.84GB
Available Space 1.68GB

Internal Storage
Total Space 201MB
Available Space 121MB

Is this a partitioning issue perhaps? What else might cause this?
Yes, I have had this problem. It's never happened on the stock/rooted ROM for me, only on the recent Cyanogens. I did a little research, and it seems to be an Android cache issue. Clear out your caches and it should install.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Clearing the cache seems to work.

On another note, I seem to recall testers on other web site forums claiming that GPS worked when they installed CM7 on their Optimus C. Have any of these claims been confirmed?

I'm just curious because I'd love to get the GPS working. I can live without it for a couple weeks -- but I'll be out of town eventually and typically use GPS.

Have any potential patches been identified? I'd be willing to help test.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
GPS seems to turn on but doesnt display an icon in the statusbar. I havent installed gapps yet to have gmaps to test it out yet. I will do some testing when I get done working on a few other things.

I too noticed that GPS turns on but doesn't show any icon on statusbar. I didn't have much luck w/ gapps install -- but I did get gmaps installed via the market app. When I use navigation it says "searching for GPS..." at the bottom of the screen and a busy prompt that says "Waiting for location". Doesn't seem to find any satellites.

BTW -- Is there an alternate way to get the market app installed w/out the gapps zip? I was wondering if the "out of space" and "invalid package" error messages might be attributed to the market app that is included in the gapps package? It seems to be partially resolved by clearing the market cache (I usually clear all the caches). But I've received a "invalid package" error even with a clean market cache. Weird.

I'll check back here from time to time. I don't mind helping you test GPS if you need a tester.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I too noticed that GPS turns on but doesn't show any icon on statusbar. I didn't have much luck w/ gapps install -- but I did get gmaps installed via the market app. When I use navigation it says "searching for GPS..." at the bottom of the screen and a busy prompt that says "Waiting for location". Doesn't seem to find any satellites.

BTW -- Is there an alternate way to get the market app installed w/out the gapps zip? I was wondering if the "out of space" and "invalid package" error messages might be attributed to the market app that is included in the gapps package? It seems to be partially resolved by clearing the market cache (I usually clear all the caches). But I've received a "invalid package" error even with a clean market cache. Weird.

I'll check back here from time to time. I don't mind helping you test GPS if you need a tester.

Thanks!
I think its an issue with the market app

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones