Rom Question

Last Updated:

1. hurdlinmasta

hurdlinmasta Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have Fresh 1.0.1. I want to try the new FroYo with the Cyanogen. I am completely new to Android and I pretty much went through the step by step process and it worked because I was doing it from a brand new phone. Now that I have a lot of stuff on it, my question is is there a way to update to the Cyanogen rom and still have all my stuff like I did nothing to it. Also, how do you install the Cyanogen Rom and install the Fresh Rom? Do I just use the steps or is there a different method if I already have a rom install?

Please try to use noob terms. I still have no idea what people mean when they say "flash this and flash that"

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

"flash" == when a zip file (a ROM or radio or application) is placed in the main directory of your sd card. When you boot into recovery (can be achieved by having the phone off, holding the volume down and then powering up), you have an option to 'flash from zip file'.

in laymans terms, its either adding or replacing something on the phones internal operating system.

i can't quite understand what you are asking in your post so i will offer this:

*before you do anything, reboot into recovery and create a nandroid backup.
    *in recovery, wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik
    *then flash cyanogen.
    *create another nandroid backup now that you are in cyanogen
    *now you will be able to switch back and forth between fresh and cyanogen.

Because you have to wipe everything to put on cyanogen, theres no snap-of-the-fingers way to get back to where you were (as far as home screens, apps, etc) like you do when you restore a nandroid (which is a full system restore like you might do on your home computer)

What you can do, though:
    *Download Titanium Backup from the market (in addition to Busybox, it requires that app to work)
    *Use it to back up your apps and app data
    *Download MyBackup from the market
    *Use it to back up your data (SMS, call log, dictionary, bookmarks)

Now that those are saved and on your SD card, you can proceed with flashing cyanogen. (and dont forget the google apps .zip that has to be flashed as well or you wont have market access!). Once you do that, you are basically on a clean slate. Go into the market and re-download titanium, use it to restore your apps/data (I just did this...tedious, took almost an hour, but works), then use mybackup to restore your other data. BTW im using 'mybackup pro', the paid version, im not sure whats available still in the free version. A note: when using mybackup it will give you an option to backup contacts. DONT do this. Your contacts are saved up in the cloud by gmail. When you resync your phone with google, those will automatically download. Ive heard stories of people trying to restore contacts using mybackup and it creating duplicate entries for ALL of their contacts. Its redundant and unnecessary.

This is when I'd create a nandroid backup, since you basically have your apps and data like they were in fresh. You can then switch back and forth between them by using nandroid restores and have an otherwise functional phone for your daily use (access to contacts, apps, etc)

Theres no way I'm going to do this for cyanogen though. Its still very much in beta and the final release could very well require ANOTHER wipe for all I know. The only reason I flashed cyanogen was to do some testing and benchmarking.

Please read all you can here and on XDA and also set aside an evening to do this before you attempt it. hth.

UCChemE05 likes this.
  3. hurdlinmasta

Thank you for your quick reply! This pretty much answered everything I asked. I will be bookmarking this for future reference. I will probably wait for the final version then. And thank you for telling me about Flashing! I can now get a better lockscreen!

4. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

happy to help :) i guess what i was saying was that i wasnt going to take the time to fully restore all my stuff on a ROM that is very experimental and in beta. but by all means, try out cyanogen! theres some cool stuff from what I read like being able to pair the phone with a bluetooth mouse and using the mouse on your phone.

just remember before flashing anything you are unsure, make a nandroid so you can revert back to where you were in case something goes wrong! And also, make a copy of them from your sd card to your computer should Xenu decide to hate you and your phone and SD card both mess up at the same time (highly unlikely, but I am anally prepared)

5. hurdlinmasta

Thanks. I will probably end up trying Cyanogen after a while. I know its nightly build but do you update it OTA? Also, when I boot up using the volume down, I get the option "FastBoot" "Recovery" "Clear Storage" "Simlock" and "HBOOT USB" Which one has the flash from zip option in it?

6. sag7392

sag7392 Well-Known Member

^Recovery

7. hurdlinmasta

8. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

You can use the app ROM Manager to reboot into recovery while your phone is on to skip the step sag7392 just tipped you on.

Ive read that the paid version of ROM Manager might let you do OTA updates of ROMs but the sure way to do it is to just download new nightlys to your PC, transfer over to your sd card and you know the rest.

9. sag7392

sag7392 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree ROM Manager is the way to go. I love that app and I as well have the premium version...100% worth it.