• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rom question..

5fdprox

Aug 5, 2013
Hey all, I was wondering since Ive heard the Prevail is very close in setup to the Galaxy Ring,and we have the same CWM recovery if any of these roms would work on the Ring??? Probably a shot in the dark but I had to ask bc this phone is boring me now a days! Thanks for your time!!

okay thanks!! If anyone thought it would work then Id at least try it,I wouldnt mind flashing it 100 times,if there was a slight chance..I was just wondering bc of the same CWM Recovery and kernels we share..Thanks I appreciate the info! new phone time I guess!

Upvote 0
okay thanks!! If anyone thought it would work then Id at least try it,I wouldnt mind flashing it 100 times,if there was a slight chance..I was just wondering bc of the same CWM Recovery and kernels we share..Thanks I appreciate the info! new phone time I guess!

No problem. I'm not 100% positive it will not work. I'm just speaking from 4 or 5 years of Android experience. That's why I said I was 99.9% positive it wouldn't work. Unless you've talked with or read where a developer says it will work, I wouldn't try it. It only takes that ONE flash to brick your phone. Definitely not worth it IMHO.

You say that you guys use the same kernel and recovery? That is odd indeed. Is it the same recovery and kernel name or are the builds identical too? CWM recovery and custom kernels having the same name can support 100's of devices. Each one is built specifically for that device though. ;)

Reactions: 5fdprox
Upvote 0
Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Just wanted to add that the prevail and the ring are nowhere near similar.

The prevail 2 and the ring share similarities. But not the prevail.

The last (ota) software update for the prevail has it on 2.3.6 (gingerbread) while the prevail 2 and ring are both running jellybean.

The ring has a 4 inch, 480x800 pixel screen.
The prevail has a 3.2 inch 320x480 pixel screen.

The ring has a 1400 mhz Qualcomm Snapdragon S2 MSM8655. processor
The prevail has a 800 mhz Qualcomm MSM7627-3 processor.

And the list goes on and on. Not to mention that the partition layout is completely different as well. If you attempt to flash a rom for this phone on the ring or prevail 2, and it's "successful" (meaning the zip didn't abort) it will likely brick your device.

Upvote 0
I think you sold me one!! After checking on XDA, and on here,im definitely going to be going on a new Droid adventure here in a couple weeks!!! The sincerest thanks goes out to you!!!!!!!Awesome !! Me=Stoked!!

Come on over to the S3 section! It's not very expensive compared to the newer phones and for the price, the specs aren't bad either. I'll be darned if I'm paying $600 for a phone which is what the S5 costs. It may be a nice phone but there honestly aren't a big enough difference in specs to warrant a $300 price difference.

I'm running a TouchWiz ROM right now called Conquest- Singularity. It's bad to the bone! You could also run Wicked-X. It's an awesome ROM too. If you are into AOSP ROMs, there are a lot of them to choose from too.

The Boost S3 section also has a nice and knowledgeable member base. :D

Upvote 0
Oh.. I see wet.. so the sprint side doesn't?? XD jkjk.. Seriously tho.. the s3 is awesome.. just try and get a pre 4.3 device.. it will save a ton of headaches.. :)

Hey Dais. The 4.4.2 KitKat update wasn't bad at all. Sure it has Knox but that's alright. I chose to go ahead and flash update. No regrets. We have some kick butt ROMs based on the 4.4.2 update. I'm running Conquest right now and loving it. Wicked-X is another nice 4.4.2 based ROM. The good thing about the update is you can run 99% of the 4.3 ROMs. :D

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones