• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROM Rating System - Yes or No?

Do you want the RRS to stay?

• Yes

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I couldn't care less

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

UBRocked

VZW Nexus Please!!!
Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Hello all,

Looking to get some feedback and see if the ROM Rating System is still viable and whether or not it is actually proving useful for you?

If there are things you would change...post them here. If we keep the RRS, we will need to recruit more ROM Revs as most of the original "staff" has left the party.

Thoughts???

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
I'll have to put some thought into this. As a noob when I was first starting I did find it somewhat helpful but now (as a somewhat experienced noob :) ) I tend to notice that the majority of Roms are getting 4 and 5 ratings with a few ratings below 4. Of course I believe the roms have also improved drastically over time.

Perhaps a revamping of the system is in order. Although I am not sure how this would actually be put in place. I'll give some thought before I vote.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree with a lot of what Kujayhawks says. Most ROMs out there average 60-68% 5 star. However, most of the posts are folks asking "What's the battery life like?", "Does it run hot?", "How smooth/fluid/fast/laggy is it?", "Does Wifi/GPS/Market/Bluetooth etc work?". So I think it's starting to negate the usefullness of the rating system as it currently is.
My two cents..

Upvote 0
I think one thing that kind of needs to be taken into considertion, or more so stop being considered is past versions of roms. compare all current versions of a rom. Sure a certain rom may be a huge upgrade from its previous version but if its previous version sucks compared to all the others it shouldnt get a better rating. so it should stay but needs a revamp

Best example I can think of would be bugless beast, although its my ROM of choice I don't think it is a 5star rom. id give it a 3.5 where as UD 8 would get a 4.5 star. my reason being that ud 8 is very stable has more features and is faster. BB is stable sure but it doesnt really bring anything to the table.

im sorry if this is confusing my brain isn't functioning and I cant really think how to explain what my brain is thinking

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info posted as well as the votes received thus far. I'm looking at ways we could revamp they system and as I am moving on to a new device soon...I'm looking to leave this program in the hands of some other capable guide or Mod...Hint Hint Kratos! LOL ;)

Taking all advice at this time...so voice your thoughts. There are no dumb ideas here...and NO criticizing of other's ideas please...lets' get this system working the best we can so it can help those who need it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info posted as well as the votes received thus far. I'm looking at ways we could revamp they system and as I am moving on to a new device soon...I'm looking to leave this program in the hands of some other capable guide or Mod...Hint Hint Kratos! LOL ;)

Taking all advice at this time...so voice your thoughts. There are no dumb ideas here...and NO criticizing of other's ideas please...lets' get this system working the best we can so it can help those who need it.

Sure call me out... LOL :p:p:p My, you sure do have a lot of faith in me... LOL :D:D:D;););)

I would be honored to head up this program (or at least help head it up). I've been thinking of some ways to revamp it and the first thing I can think of is that we really need to get more reviewers (though that's not really much of a revamp as it is just a need). I'll keep thinking of things and keep you informed of what I come up with.

I would like to hear more of what the community of review readers think about this. I think that input from the people who are reading the reviews will help us revamp the system in a way that helps them the most.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Sure call me out... LOL :p:p:p My, you sure do have a lot of faith in me... LOL :D:D:D;););)

I would be honored to head up this program (or at least help head it up). I've been thinking of some ways to revamp it and the first thing I can think of is that we really need to get more reviewers (though that's not really much of a revamp as it is just a need). I'll keep thinking of things and keep you informed of what I come up with.

I would like to hear more of what the community of review readers think about this. I think that input from the people who are reading the reviews will help us revamp the system in a way that helps them the most.

Kratos

Just wondering of what it takes to get to guide or mod status on this forum? And I think as a suggestion we can add categories to the reviews. As in as part of the review the reviewer would put the rom as a rom for someone who wants speed, stability, performance, features, etc.

Upvote 0
One thing I could think of that would kind of help would be categories as already mentioned, have a speed section, battery life, stability, features, all around. and categorize the roms through there. Only issue with this would be the fact that not all droids are the same, and the experiences wouldnt be the same, which a lot of people new to roms wont know.

also I would like to throw it out there that I would be more than willing to help with this if needed I have 3 different droids with which to test roms on (soo nto be two though since im switching to the fascinate as my main phone)

Upvote 0
Its been awhile since I was actively helping out with RRS but I think the best solution may be to keep doing the polls but do away with the reviewers. I just took a quick glance but it doesnt seem many reviews have been done recently and I think more people pay attention to the polls than the reviews anyway.

I have to agree with keeping the polls. I for one actually do check out the poll results for the roms before I make a choice as I don't have time to try out every single rom that I would like to I usually make my decisions by the poll rating and reading user feedback/reviews

The reviews don't get put most likely because, like me, the reviewers don't have the time to try out every new rom that comes out. Our best option is to probably hope that the people who DO try out these roms put reviews of their own

Upvote 0
They can attack all they want, it's not gonna stop me. I fear no fanboy.

I guess some of the other Revs were throwing around 4s and 5s like candy, but I don't think anyone could say that about me. It's tough to be so critical when these Devs are doing this on their own time for nothing but the inconsistency of a donation. I had to be, though, to properly convey my opinions on how ROMs fared against the other. And there was def a need with so many to choose from.

I had a busy week, so I didn't get to do a review (that and I'm truly loving LFYv1.71). But I don't think anyone could say I haven't pulled my weight. We def need more Revs, though, if this system is to continue. They need to see how people's Droid respond to diff ROMs. Not to mention when one of us has a busy week where they can't make too many reviews, that the others will be there to pick up the slack.

People should know that RRS had 15 ROM Revs and the goal was to get 3-5 reviews for each ROM.

Upvote 0
I can't help but wonder if we have lost so many reviewers because of attacks on them. I have seen a couple reviewers get attacked because people didn't agree with the reviewers opinions on the ROM.

Kratos

There were def some ill with me for previous versions of LFY, but when I did the review for BB, my lord, I thought the Spartan army was coming for me. That won't stop me from making an honest review, though.

I think some of those who were so vocal about it be asked to be ROM Revs.

Upvote 0
There were def some ill with me for previous versions of LFY, but when I did the review for BB, my lord, I thought the Spartan army was coming for me. That won't stop me from making an honest review, though.

I think some of those who were so vocal about it be asked to be ROM Revs.

Not my Spartan Army! LOL..

I have a deep respect for true critics because they put up with all the back lashes when they make honest statements. I do appreciate you hard work with this and your review of BB is what made me wait on flashing it right away. I am glad I did wait because shortly after I had downloaded it, there was a large number of "bugs" being reported that required update.zip fixes.

Anyways, I am starting to wonder how many Rev's we can actually recruit this time?

Kratos

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Not my Spartan Army! LOL..

I have a deep respect for true critics because they put up with all the back lashes when they make honest statements. I do appreciate you hard work with this and your review of BB is what made me wait on flashing it right away. I am glad I did wait because shortly after I had downloaded it, there was a large number of "bugs" being reported that required update.zip fixes.

Anyways, I am starting to wonder how many Rev's we can actually recruit this time?

Kratos

There's some pretty active members on this site that I see on multiple ROM threads, so hopefully more will be willing to do so. I hated being the only face people would see. It's just not accurate enough to get a review from only one guy's Droid. Especially when that person tends to nitpick. :cool:

Upvote 0
would there be a way to get multiple polls per rom? so have a battery life 1-5 poll a speed 1-5 poll features/themes 1-5poll and stability 1-5?

I like this idea. After reading Messenger's post about how he doesn't base his flashing decision at all on any review, I realized that I do the same, for the most part. With exception to Yankee's review of BB 0.5, I flash roms based on the dev, not really reviews. (Don't worry Yankee, I didn't want to flash it anyway :D)

I would however, view category polls. It would include a large number of opinions creating a more accurate picture of how the rom 'may' perform, and it would be a very quick reference, as opposed to reading a 5-6 paragraph review. The sheer volume of data that we would have with category polls would have to make them somewhat accurate. Sure just because a certain rom performed well my droid does not mean it will perform well on yours. But if it performed well on 75 out of 100 Droids, well that is a meaningful statistic.

Upvote 0
Just my opinion, but I don't value the rating system at all. We all know by now that how one ROM behaves on your DROID doesn't mean anything to my DROID. So why should I care if anyone gives a ROM 1 star, 3, or 5?

Exactly right. I have read countless times about how a particular ROM doesn't work so well for some users, but for others, it is the best they have ever used. Given this, I do not see much value.

-SNT

Upvote 0
Exactly right. I have read countless times about how a particular ROM doesn't work so well for some users, but for others, it is the best they have ever used. Given this, I do not see much value.

-SNT

This is why 15 ROM Revs were chosen with a goal of 3-5 reviews per ROM. But in any case, you can get an idea of the functionality of the ROM, and if there are any common bugs and/or fixes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones